• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

A through Z are not acceptable. If not Shaka, GET HOWLAND RW.

Now that I've read up on everyone...Manning oh hell no. Please no. Don't draw out a coaching search this long and then whiff that bad. Why are other schools so more efficient at this? What the fuck is wrong with Wake or with Ron Wellman?

While I understand after not having been to the tourney in a while, it's easy to want that pretty bad...

But making NCAA tourneys wasn't good enough when Dino was here, so why should it be good enough now?

Yes. Plus the work of previous coaches made making the tournament a minimum accomplishment at Xavier. That's not that impressive.

Manning over Mack all day long for me

https://www.accsports.com/articles/manning-a-candidate-for-wake-forest-job

Where He Stands: Just because Manning was contacted doesn’t mean he’s a top candidate for the job. We know Shaka Smart is the No. 1 target, and he’s yet to officially say no. Until Smart does that, Wake Forest won’t proceed with anyone else. With Ben Howland not getting the Marquette job, it’s safe to assume that he’s higher on the radar than Manning, too. It would be hard to imagine Xavier’s Chris Mack being a lower priority than Manning. Archie Miller at Dayton is another coach who Wake Forest will likely at least try to get in touch with. As it stands right now, it appears that the contact with Manning is more about laying some groundwork rather than entering serious negotiations.

For all we know Shaka already said no. The more time that passes the more likely it becomes.

https://www.accsports.com/articles/manning-a-candidate-for-wake-forest-job

Where He Stands: Just because Manning was contacted doesn’t mean he’s a top candidate for the job. We know Shaka Smart is the No. 1 target, and he’s yet to officially say no. Until Smart does that, Wake Forest won’t proceed with anyone else. With Ben Howland not getting the Marquette job, it’s safe to assume that he’s higher on the radar than Manning, too. It would be hard to imagine Xavier’s Chris Mack being a lower priority than Manning. Archie Miller at Dayton is another coach who Wake Forest will likely at least try to get in touch with. As it stands right now, it appears that the contact with Manning is more about laying some groundwork rather than entering serious negotiations.

I feel a little better.

For all we know Shaka already said no. The more time that passes the more likely it becomes.

We know a poster said that, which I lean towards but still think we may be waiting to hear back.

BTW BabyDeac posted on the Wojo thread that it's a good thing the Tennessee job didn't come open. Which to me is 100% confirmation that we are about to hire Gregg Marshall. Booyah! #WellmanIn

What's with all the people just now finding out MU didn't get Shaka? Twitter is blowing up about it, but the news is several days old.

I want Howland if we can't get Shaka. If we can't get either of them, I can live with a few other names. I cannot believe Howland hasn't been scooped up yet. Something very weird.

BTW BabyDeac posted on the Wojo thread that it's a good thing the Tennessee job didn't come open. Which to me is 100% confirmation that we are about to hire Gregg Marshall. Booyah! #WellmanIn

Could mean Marshall or Howland. Or Manning or White. Only the lord knows.

lolz

All that said, I'm not the only one who has been hearing for going on two weeks now that Wake Forest is looking for a "home run hire.'' It certainly needs one to help everyone forget, as soon as possible, how much the program has struggled these past four years with Jeff [name redacted] as head coach

The only way that Ron Wellman hits a home run by hiring Danny Manning is if he grounds one across third base and it rattles around in the corner long enough for Wellman to leg out an inside-the-parker.

I want Howland if we can't get Shaka. If we can't get either of them, I can live with a few other names. I cannot believe Howland hasn't been scooped up yet. Something very weird.

Maybe he pulls "The Naked Man" every time he interviews.

The players and AAU coaches hated him at UCLA. He is a pain in the arse to deal with and that quality only gets amplified with age. Realize I am in the minority, but I am fine with any of the rumored candidates (Manning, Miller, White) other than Howland. I see a Howland hire ending very badly.

The players and AAU coaches hated him at UCLA. He is a pain in the arse to deal with and that quality only gets amplified with age. Realize I am in the minority, but I am fine with any of the rumored candidates (Manning, Miller, White) other than Howland. I see a Howland hire ending very badly.

You. Are. Insane.

Wouldn't the players and AAU coaches that Wake deals with differ greatly from those that the Bruins and the rest of the west coast deal with?

Back