• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparing Codi Miller-Mcintyre vs. Tyler Lewis

slothrop

Reaction score
Since it was so much fun before they were even playing games, I thought it'd be good to break down the two players' stats with just a few conference games to play.

Overall:

Codi: 92.6 ORAT | 106.4 DRAT | -1.4 Overall | 45.1 eFG% | 19.7 A Ratio | 19.0 TO Ratio | 18.8% USG | 3.6 A/40 | 3.6 R/40 | -1.6 +/- per game | .99 PPS

Tyler: 121.1 ORAT | 107.9 DRAT | 1.0 Overall | 39.5 eFG% | 16.6 A Ratio | 23.5 TO Ratio | 15.2% USG | 4.3 A/40 | 3.7 R/40 | -.2 +/- per game | 1.48 PPS

Things of note, despite poor shooting numbers and a high overall TO ratio, Lewis's offensive rating is a lot higher than Codi's. Not sure exactly why. His +/-, PPS and overall rating are better as well.

The conference numbers are where things get a little more interesting.

Conference:

Codi: 83.3 ORAT | 107.5 DRAT | -2.7 Overall | 39.4 eFG% | 16.7 A Ratio | 17.6 TO Ratio | 20% USG | 3.0 A/40 | 3.7 R/40 | -3.8 +/- per game | .86 PPS

Tyler: 139.7 ORAT | 109.7 DRAT | 2.6 Overall | 43.2 eFG% | 16.6 A Ratio | 0.0 TO Ratio | 15% USG | 3.9 A/40 | 3.1 R/40 | -1.3 +/- per game | 1.55 PPS

Lewis is much more efficient offensively in conference play, enhanced by his unreal turnover numbers. His usage is also lower, coupled with the high PPS, which also boosts the efficiency numbers. Codi, on the other hand, has been downright dreadful in conference play. His offensive rating is atrocious, he's shooting poorly and he's taking up 1/5 of the team's possessions. +/- is a misleading stat in general, but the team is playing worse when he is on the floor, and his .79 PPS is eighth worst among qualifying players (above Tyler [second worst] and Madison [third worst]).

*Stats are from SCACCHoops.com*

To be fair, Codi is being asked to do a lot more on a lot less talented team than Tyler Lewis is.

Big props to Ty Lew for his unreal turnover numbers and efficiency up to this point though.

For those ripping Lewis' defense, this is an interesting comparison though. Lewis will always struggle with defense, but State can hide it, and it's not like they have a ton of defensive all-stars anyway.

I'm much more concerned with Cat Barber than Tyler Lewis.

I'm happy we got CMM and think he has a bigger upside than Lewis does. Was never upset we pursued CMM over Lewis. One of the few things I haven't been upset about the last 3 years.

I'm happy we got CMM and think he has a bigger upside than Lewis does. Was never upset we pursued CMM over Lewis. One of the few things I haven't been upset about the last 3 years.

All of this. This ranks way down on the list of tragedies to occur during Bz's tenure, right behind his heinous wardrobe.

I'm going to wait until this offseason to see if CMM is a "thug" or not (i.e. Does he transfer to get away from Bz)

I'm battling the urge to turn this into a "we overrated this recruiting class" thread. I'll just say that I think CMM would also be a solid backup for NC State, and would probably take Lewis's minutes.

I more just wanted to see because I knew Lewis had been playing so terribly at the beginning of the season before turning it around and basically just game-managing and playing mistake-free basketball (essentially the Trent Dilfer method of playing PG). Conversely, Codi is asked to do more and does have higher upside, but he's not doing a very good job of that in general, and he has fallen off dramatically based on advanced metrics during conference play.

Thought the numbers would be interesting to others as well.

I believe Slothrop's bigger point is not to say one was necessarily better than the other, but simply to point out that Tyler Lewis is a legitimate ACC player and will be very good at State for 4 years. There have been users on this board who would poke fun at him earlier on in the season, but now that Tyler Lewis has been given an opportunity he's shown that he can really play.

I believe Slothrop's bigger point is not to say one was necessarily better than the other, but simply to point out that Tyler Lewis is a legitimate ACC player and will be very good at State for 4 years. There have been users on this board who would poke fun at him earlier on in the season, but now that Tyler Lewis has been given an opportunity he's shown that he can really play.

Well the reality is he's going to be a backup for 4 years so it's hard to say he'll have a "very good" career.

Well the reality is he's going to be a backup for 4 years so it's hard to say he'll have a "very good" career.

Depends on what he wins. I doubt Gottfried can get them there, but if he brings a ACC championship to Raleigh and Lewis is a contributing member of that team, there is no doubt he would have a "very good" career.

It is rare for a freshman point guard to jump in to the ACC and play well. Lewis' gaudy offensive stats mostly come from his 17 assists and only 2 turnovers in limited minutes with a very talented supporting cast. He is playing much better of late though, and I guess that is the point.

Codi is getting valuable experience and reps and is in a really tough spot. Next year we will know more as he should make a big jump if he is going to be the player we need. It could go either way. Shane Larkin is an example of someone who struggled in conference play last year (28% FG, 25% 3PT%, similar assist/TO numbers as CMM) but played a lot and learned a lot. Not saying CMM will make that level of jump as Larkin as he is an ACC POY candidate this year, has a great supporting cast and a good coach... just that the freshman struggles in and of themselves isn't cause for total panic.

I think Codi will be fine for us next year.

It will be interesting to compare these two throughout their careers though.

I still believe that CMM was the right guy for us and was more of what we needed than Tyler Lewis. Lewis can be great with great players around him, but can be somewhat limited offensively in creating his own shot and scoring a lot at the ACC level. Codi can do those things, which is what we need him to do.

Both guys should prove to be pretty good fits in the systems that they are in.

I'm battling the urge to turn this into a "we overrated this recruiting class" thread. I'll just say that I think CMM would also be a solid backup for NC State, and would probably take Lewis's minutes.

We've overrated every recruiting class for the last 6 years at least. I said it for you!

We've overrated every recruiting class for the last 6 years at least. I said it for you!

How about every fan base overrates every recruiting class as a general rule. Wake actually might have more voices of reason of late because of the animosity towards the HC and the AD.

I will say the Devin as a 3 Star PF playing C has surpassed every reasonable expectation you could have asked of him. Madison also has done well for a last second emergency PG pick up.

How about every fan base overrates every recruiting class as a general rule. Wake actually might have more voices of reason of late because of the animosity towards the HC and the AD.

I will say the Devin as a 3 Star PF playing C has surpassed every reasonable expectation you could have asked of him. Madison also has done well for a last second emergency PG pick up.

I'm honestly glad you're in those kids corner, but our record tells the truth about our team. Many of us turned on the previous recruiting classes of players,who were only sophomores or freshmen. These freshman have hardly achieved any more. Don't let the recency effect fool you.

I'm honestly glad you're in those kids corner, but our record tells the truth about our team. Many of us turned on the previous recruiting classes of players,who were only sophomores or freshmen. These freshman have hardly achieved any more. Don't let the recency effect fool you.

Wait, what are you arguing with? I didn't say much about our kids other than Devin and Madison playing well in the context of their rankings/recruitment. You disagree?

Or, players are overrated in general, and we ride the wave that benefits our arguement. We didn't make AT&T the top players in the country....someone else did, and we took it for it's value. Getting 4 star recruits is a good thing....if they don't live up to the hype, it's not our fault. We didn't make the 4 star recruits, we just got excited when they decided to come here.

Back