• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Pretty sure you could change conferences on an older edition of the game.

I want an option where you can hire a nice gentleman like Ron Wellman or a total sleeze ball like Bobby Petrino. Wellman hire lets you keep your 2 star recruits until they graduate, finish 7-5 every fourth year and never have any classroom issues due to great culture. Petrino hire lands you 5 star recruits only for a season, win a natty in year 2, but forfeit the natty 7 years later because you lured those 5 star kids with hookers and blow. It's like GTAV, but for football.

I want an option where you can hire a nice gentleman like Ron Wellman or a total sleeze ball like Bobby Petrino. Wellman hire lets you keep your 2 star recruits until they graduate, finish 7-5 every fourth year and never have any classroom issues due to great culture. Petrino hire lands you 5 star recruits only for a season, win a natty in year 2, but forfeit the natty 7 years later because you lured those 5 star kids with hookers and blow. It's like GTAV, but for football.
Petrino also unlocks sex mode?

This is the most realistic article I’ve seen on the ACC and one which I’d honestly be fine with and I still think it is overplaying what will happen. I don’t think Miami and GT make sense to leave.

https://sports.yahoo.com/conference-expansion-five-bold-predictions-210519196.html
He almost lost me at the comment about Clemson's success in basketball, but overall sounds reasonable. He also had me worried when listing the "Carolina schools including Duke" as not including Wake, but then he LOWF'd us in as a sub-category of Carolina schools so I guess we're o.k. with that.

He almost lost me at the comment about Clemson's success in basketball, but overall sounds reasonable. He also had me worried when listing the "Carolina schools including Duke" as not including Wake, but then he LOWF'd us in as a sub-category of Carolina schools so I guess we're o.k. with that.
If the 6 NC and VA schools come out of this together then I think I’m fine with whatever else happens.

I like his idea that the only conference that would want FSU is the B-12, but is the B-12's TV contract that much better than the ACC's? I don't agree with him about Miami. Residents of the Miami area do not support UofMiami, so no it really does little for that TV market. I can see the potential interest of Clemson to the B1G just to gain the SC market with a quality football team. But I still think the only real apple to the SEC's and maybe the B1G's eyes would be UNC.

The BigXII would obviously give FSU a double share.

The Big 12 and the ACC have close to the same TV contract and shared conference revenues. The Big 12 also has a GOR which was modeled after the ACCs. Would love to see FSU sign on to that after claiming the ACC's is onerous.

The difference is that the Big 12 TV contract has a shorter GOR term. FSU put itself into corner, by stoking their fanbase to direct all of their hate (and blame for their problems) on the ACC. When FSU got jobbed by the CFP, there was no way FSU leadership could stand pat. So, they sued the ACC without an exit plan. It was dumb, but if the FSU leadership did nothing, heads were going to roll.

I like his idea that the only conference that would want FSU is the B-12, but is the B-12's TV contract that much better than the ACC's? I don't agree with him about Miami. Residents of the Miami area do not support UofMiami, so no it really does little for that TV market. I can see the potential interest of Clemson to the B1G just to gain the SC market with a quality football team. But I still think the only real apple to the SEC's and maybe the B1G's eyes would be UNC.
What are your thoughts on GT? Do we honestly believe the Atlanta TV market makes it worthwhile? If so, then you may as well just invite Georgia State.

I really think FSU has made a huge blunder in suing the ACC and will come to regret it big time

I really think FSU has made a huge blunder in suing the ACC and will come to regret it big time
I actually think that nothing much will come of it either way. FSU will end up with some egg on their face, but both sides will agree to go back to the status quo after FSU realizes that they don't have an out of the GoR or a place to land that is any better than what they have now.

Could be and am probably totally wrong, but I don't see the SEC or the Big 10 with the appetite to expand right now. It was a battle to get the Big 10 schools to agree to add USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington (and the last two were added only after each agreed to fractional shares). Not only does adding schools have to grow the pie to the extent that every school gets more revenue (and not sure any ACC schools guarantee that right now given that TV dollars are tapping out), but these moves have to be approved by super-majority votes of the member schools. Further expanding the conferences just makes it harder for most schools to compete for titles. Going past 16 means that teams get left out of conference tournaments and other moves that just puts added pressure on athletic departments. Additionally, adding schools does not make the fanbases particularly happy. Even if GT delivered the ATL media market (which is arguable), adding them is a tough sell to Minnesota, Indiana or Illinois.

Ultimately there will be more realignment, but feel like its a few years off, or at least not as soon as FSU would like. We shall see.

Back