• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Throw in UF as well. Tons of Gators in the ATL (just a little more quiet these days compared to the mid-90's and late 00's).

GT even as a public school suffers from many of the same "numbers" and attendance issues as Wake.
Plus, at its core, GaTech is an engineering, math and science school. A lot of their students put in long hours in engineering, science and math labs. They aren't out and about in Atlanta wearing GaTech shirts.

Also, Ga Tech people are losers.
Those "losers" design and build many of the bridges. If the GaTech people are such "losers," I would be very afraid if I were driving on highway bridges in Georgia.

Plus, at its core, GaTech is an engineering, math and science school. A lot of their students put in long hours in engineering, science and math labs. They aren't out and about in Atlanta wearing GaTech shirts.
Do What? I see them all the time sneaking on hole 2 at Candler Park so they dont have to pay the 13.00 green fee and at Dark Horse and the Warren. They party just like all other college kids no matter if they nerds or not.

at the time, how was Deion more qualified than the coach of Oregon?
It was sarcasm as in the beginning of year, ESPN tried to build up the narrative that FSU skipped over Deion when they did solely because he didn't have a Bachelor's Degree which surprisingly is a requirement to work as HC in the state of FL university system.

Do What? I see them all the time sneaking on hole 2 at Candler Park so they dont have to pay the 13.00 green fee and at Dark Horse and the Warren. They party just like all other college kids no matter if they nerds or not.
chuckle… in several regards.

Well non-nerds aren’t going to Dark Horse and The Warren so no not like all other college kids.

I really enjoyed finding out recently that Bobby Bowden was a big influence on FSU joining the ACC instead of the SEC, based on the fact that the ACC would be an easier path to the championship.

I really enjoyed finding out recently that Bobby Bowden was a big influence on FSU joining the ACC instead of the SEC, based on the fact that the ACC would be an easier path to the championship.
The thing is that that wasn’t really true then. GT was coming off of a title. The SEC was pretty weak. The SEC didn’t become the SEC people think of until like 2008.

The thing is that that wasn’t really true then. GT was coming off of a title. The SEC was pretty weak. The SEC didn’t become the SEC people think of until like 2008.
Even though GT won a title in 1990, no one thought of them as an emerging football power. The SEC wasn't nearly as dominant as they are now but they were still seen as a much better football conference than the ACC. Even then the ACC was still the 4th or 5th best football conference behind the SEC, Big 8, Big 10, etc. and independent schools won a lot of championships in the 1980's (Miami 3, Penn St 2, ND 1). It was an easier path to the championship for FSU in the ACC than it would have been in the SEC. They won their first two national championships in their first 8 years in the league.

Even though GT won a title in 1990, no one thought of them as an emerging football power. The SEC wasn't nearly as dominant as they are now but they were still seen as a much better football conference than the ACC. Even then the ACC was still the 4th or 5th best football conference behind the SEC, Big 8, Big 10, etc. and independent schools won a lot of championships in the 1980's (Miami 3, Penn St 2, ND 1). It was an easier path to the championship for FSU in the ACC than it would have been in the SEC. They won their first two national championships in their first 8 years in the league.
I’ll give you the Big 8 being better. The Big 10 is, has, and always will be a completely mediocre conference. Unsurprisingly, they are the only 1 of the 4 conferences mentioned that did not have a national title in the ‘80s.

Back