• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Probably as much at Rutgers did.
when Rutgers got their invite media markets mattered a lot more because most people had cable. Once things move to streaming it's much more important to have a big fanbase to buy subscriptions.

I agree with this. Even though Clemson and FSU seem to better fit the SEC profile, that is actually why they wouldn't want them. But they would bring something new to the BIG 10. Whereas with UNC and UVa, I think that they would be attractive to either league.
at times I’m not sure what value is added by teams in certain markets. The acc got a footprint in Boston when BC was added but the city doesn’t really care about sports and we probably didn’t get a lot of eyeballs on the games. With all of the. Transplanted Ohioans in the south, I think that would be a draw for tOSU fans for Clemson and FSU.

does Miami actually move the needle? seems like their fanbase is super meh. I know they have a terrible stadium situation, but just don't see how they could be a draw other than the inevitable "Da U is back !!!" narrative every couple of years.

They don't. Like FSU they are nowhere near the football school that they used to be, or that their fans and the media think that they still are.

FSU thinks their a brand, like Alabama, that gets national eyeballs just because they're on TV. Clemson is pretty close to a brand that adds eyeballs because of their recent success. UVA and UNC are at best a market addition and don't really add many eyeballs. The SEC has enough marquee names to have the 3:30 and the 7:00 game attract attention from all over the country. That's what Clemson adds that South Carolina never will and that's what FSU thinks they add. The SEC would take Clemson in a heartbeat and maybe FSU. But at $70m to $100m a school, do UVA and UNC add that much value to either the SEC or the B1G?

At some point the SEC and B1G have to be thinking, "can we just jettison Miss St. and Vandy and have a conference of just blue bloods?"

FSU thinks their a brand, like Alabama, that gets national eyeballs just because they're on TV. Clemson is pretty close to a brand that adds eyeballs because of their recent success. UVA and UNC are at best a market addition and don't really add many eyeballs. The SEC has enough marquee names to have the 3:30 and the 7:00 game attract attention from all over the country. That's what Clemson adds that South Carolina never will and that's what FSU thinks they add. The SEC would take Clemson in a heartbeat and maybe FSU. But at $70m to $100m a school, do UVA and UNC add that much value to either the SEC or the B1G?

At some point the SEC and B1G have to be thinking, "can we just jettison Miss St. and Vandy and have a conference of just blue bloods?"

If they go to an " all blue bloods" conference makeup, they will have some 5-7 and 4-8 teams missing bowls and sitting home unhappy.

No way does UNC go to the SEC with that conference's robust academic requirements.
UNC’s academic reputation went out the window with the fake classes scandal. They admitted both fraternities and sororities were taking the “online courses” along with student athletes to avoid NCAA penalties; therefore the cheating problem fell under the jurisdiction of the university itself not the NCAA.

IMO, their academic reputation has been tarnished forever. Now whenever I meet someone that went to UNC I look at them differently wondering if they took part in the online class scandal.

The SEC loves having Vandy in the conference. They are located in a City with a ton of SEC alums, where SEC teams love to visit, they are punching bag, and they have the academic gravitas that no other SEC can claim.

You need opponents that you can beat. Going 7-5 at many SEC schools means the HC and the AD get fired. Who needs that?

The SEC would take Clemson in a heartbeat and maybe FSU.
Still not sure about that:

"The best scenario for the SEC is to let those three ACC schools (FSU, Clemson and Miami) die on the ACC’s proverbial vine for the next several years and never allow them admission to the SEC. They have no where else to go and the SEC can essentially eliminate three schools from the recruiting trail over time. After all, FSU, Clemson and Miami already know this is a real threat because they currently are begging the SEC for admission...."

The SEC loves having Vandy in the conference. They are located in a City with a ton of SEC alums, where SEC teams love to visit, they are punching bag, and they have the academic gravitas that no other SEC can claim.

You need opponents that you can beat. Going 7-5 at many SEC schools means the HC and the AD get fired. Who needs that?
Yep. Fun town. Good school. Easy W.

Here's a thought about the media rights:

Could the ACC and ESPN keep a school that left the ACC and joined the B1G from having home games in any sport televised on Fox or the B1G Network? Isn't that what owning media rights means? The ACC and by contractual assignation, ESPN, controls when, where and how ACC home games are broadcast. Sorry, FSU. Your game hosting tOSU isn't on any TV because we own the rights and don't want the game shown.

UNC’s academic reputation went out the window with the fake classes scandal. They admitted both fraternities and sororities were taking the “online courses” along with student athletes to avoid NCAA penalties; therefore the cheating problem fell under the jurisdiction of the university itself not the NCAA.

IMO, their academic reputation has been tarnished forever. Now whenever I meet someone that went to UNC I look at them differently wondering if they took part in the online class scandal.
Most people will forget about this in another few years if they haven't already though to be honest.

Think the SEC has mixed feelings about Clemson and FSU. As long as the ACC stays together, don't think the SEC has any interest. With the addition of Texas and OU, the SEC has enough big time matchups to fill the TV schedule, and they aren't getting more money from a TV contract at this point. The one reason to add either school would be to prevent the Big 10 from spreading into their territory. Could be wrong, but think that the Big 10 is tapped out in the short term as their membership have to be concerned about how the economics are going to work at 18, much less 20. Also, as Biff mentioned, they have payout per school issues now with Washington and Oregon taking less than the ACC payout.

Despite what has been said about nd, still feel that the ACC is their best fit, all their other teams are already here and the power conferences are filled up now, or should be very close to it.

THE TIME IS NOW!

Wishful thinking, I know. But they would be huge for ACC survival.

Cheating scandal aside, UNC has never been the academic bastion it is reputed to be. A few years back I saw where over 80% of undergraduate course grades at UNC are either a B or A; can't imagine it's that high at Wake but maybe I'm mistaken. The trick to UNC is getting admitted, then plenty of courses/majors to hide in that aren't that rigorous where you can cobble together a decent GPA.

Back