• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I wish I didn't feel this way, but I think the FSU omission is another nail in the ACC's coffin. I mean, I hate FSU, but if I were a fan, I'd argue that being independent is not materially worse- and may be better- than being in the ACC (someone is going to mention the 12 team bracket starting next year, but this is right now).

We're spending a lot of mental effort convincing ourselves that it's OK. It's not Defcon 1, but it's definitely not OK.

I hope (and believe) that Currie and WFU are working all angles to make sure if the ACC implodes, we have an acceptable landing place.
I totally agree, but define “acceptable.” It’s hard to think of any P5 school worse off than us as far as getting into another conference.

Truthfully, the CFP decision shouldn’t change any school’s minds. The expansion to 12 is happening, but, most importantly, I don’t think university presidents are delusional enough to be swayed to leave a conference due to a pipe dream of their school winning a national championship in football. It’s not a reality for 3/4 of the conference. AD’s aren’t making these decisions. Presidents are making them.

FSU desperately wants out of the ACC if they can get to the SEC (or Big 10); that didn’t change because of yesterday

FSU desperately wants out of the ACC if they can get to the SEC (or Big 10); that didn’t change because of yesterday

Their desire didn't change.

Their defense of that desire most definitely changed yesterday. If you genuinely don't think an undefeated FSU's exclusion doesn't reflect badly on the ACC and thereby add fuel to the already smoldering fire, we'll have to agree to disagree (throwback to the days of yore). The reasons why FSU was left out don't matter. An undefeated ACC team did not get in. Instead a second SEC (going forward) team and a second B10 (going forward) team, each with a loss, did.

FSU is/was/will leave the ACC as soon as they have an offer. That position didn’t change.

It’s not like they can run any faster; they were already topping out

I totally agree, but define “acceptable.” It’s hard to think of any P5 school worse off than us as far as getting into another conference.

Yes, and I hope the ACC remains intact for this reason. But I am also glad that, from what I gather, Currie et al are working both angles. One, keep the ACC together as a major conference. Two, a back-up plan in case that doesn't happen. It may be fruitless, but I am happy they are trying. That moron Wellman would be spinning bullshit about how all that sports stuff is somehow beneath WFU (now ranked 50 something in an all-time great irony).

I don't know what the best, achievable alternative is. But if (and I know it's highly unlikely) WFU joined the B12 tonight, I would feel incrementally better.

I guess I just want WFU to work it, be proactive (to the extent possible), as opposed to putting its head in the sand and hoping it all works out. Things sometimes do just work out fairly. But not when $ is involved, and as much as it sucks, college sports is now all and almost only about $.

IF FSU wants to leave, they shouldn't go to the SEC. Same TV provider who is starting to have financial difficulties.

I wish I didn't feel this way, but I think the FSU omission is another nail in the ACC's coffin. I mean, I hate FSU, but if I were a fan, I'd argue that being independent is not materially worse- and may be better- than being in the ACC (someone is going to mention the 12 team bracket starting next year, but this is right now).

We're spending a lot of mental effort convincing ourselves that it's OK. It's not Defcon 1, but it's definitely not OK.

I hope (and believe) that Currie and WFU are working all angles to make sure if the ACC implodes, we have an acceptable landing place.
Agreed. I am just saying that if you see a random Twitter handle with "breaking news11!!" about realignment and the ACC, just check to see if it's a West Virginia or UConn fan (it always is).

If f$u can't make the CFP from the ACC @ 13-0, are they going to make it in, even in an expanded field of 12, at 8-4 in the sec or big20??!

If f$u can't make the CFP from the ACC @ 13-0, are they going to make it in, even in an expanded field of 12, at 8-4 in the sec or big20??!
Well they’d be better than that in either of those conferences. The Big 10 blows. The SEC typically has 2 good teams also. The problem is that the ACC typically only has 1 good team.

Well they’d be better than that in either of those conferences. The Big 10 blows. The SEC typically has 2 good teams also. The problem is that the ACC typically only has 1 good team.
Need Clemson and FSU both top 10 teams which hasn’t happened since maybe 2014? They’ll both be back in 2024- need them both clicking and FSU with major chip on its shoulder.

With latest expansion, there’s starting to get strength in numbers in ACC. In doomsday scenario, I see BC, Cuse, Duke, SMU, Stanford, Cal, GT all left standing without a seat after musical chairs along with Wake. That’s 8 teams - feel like we would pick up 1 or 2 more from somewhere and be a minor league conference. And that’s also assuming VT, State, Pitt, and Lville find landing spots. Are any of those schools attractive to Big Ten or SEC?

With latest expansion, there’s starting to get strength in numbers in ACC. In doomsday scenario, I see BC, Cuse, Duke, SMU, Stanford, Cal, GT all left standing without a seat after musical chairs along with Wake. That’s 8 teams - feel like we would pick up 1 or 2 more from somewhere and be a minor league conference. And that’s also assuming VT, State, Pitt, and Lville find landing spots. Are any of those schools attractive to Big Ten or SEC?
State and VT may be attractive to whatever conference UVA and UNC don’t go to. Pitt and Louisville are a no unless it’s the Big 12 just trying to get numbers.

State and VT may be attractive to whatever conference UVA and UNC don’t go to. Pitt and Louisville are a no unless it’s the Big 12 just trying to get numbers
Yeah I don’t see a scenario that VT/UVA and UNC/State stay in same conference considering it’s a pure market share/brand expansion. They are more closely matched than this but similar to OR State and Wazzou not being asked by Big Ten. If this was VT 20 years ago in hey day of Beamer Ball- they are probably more attractive than UVA.

FSU was somewhat a victim of its own trashing of the ACC earlier this year. If the perception of the ACC is that is a tough conference in which teams are good and beat each other up, they get more respect for beating everybody. And Loserville is perceived to be a stronger opponent and hence better win.

Yeah I don’t see a scenario that VT/UVA and UNC/State stay in same conference considering it’s a pure market share/brand expansion. They are more closely matched than this but similar to OR State and Wazzou not being asked by Big Ten. If this was VT 20 years ago in hey day of Beamer Ball- they are probably more attractive than UVA.
I believe it has been mentioned on here before about VT but it is not like they are or have been a national power in any sport. They are a school without a national title in any sport.

I believe it has been mentioned on here before about VT but it is not like they are or have been a national power in any sport. They are a school without a national title in any sport.

Yeah but from 1999-2011- Beamer had 10+ win seasons 11/13 seasons and the 2 non-10+ win seasons were 8 win seasons. Yeah he didn’t win a natty but that’s Nick Saban level consistently at a huge state school- gonna be a national brand/powerhouse. VT has only had one 10+ winning season since (2016).

Back