• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Man just because your source uses some terrible phrasing doesn’t mean you need to quote them exactly

This is one guy's take on how this goes down led by f$u:

Each team wanting out will likely settle the exit fee at 60% ($72 mil) per precedent set by other teams that have left their conference such as Texas GOR is about $30 mil/yr x 10 years = $300 mil. They can then litigate to trigger the Competitive Revenue Clause that was added to the GOR in 2016.

If at that time the ACC sues f$u, the state of Florida enacts sovereign immunity and caps any award against f$u at $250k. That is how this goes down. Certainly not cheap, but cheaper than you think. Could be as low as $72 mil but will probably be settled for a much larger number to avoid the drawn out battle.
Can someone who has read more on this or who has expertise in the area explain how sovereign immunity can shield FSU? It doesn’t extend to contractual breaches in Florida and if the legislature tried to pass something now or down the road, article 1, section 10 of the Florida constitution prohibits laws impairing the obligation of contracts.

So, if B1G and SEC are not interested, does FSU go independent? What then will they be able to do about TV money?
FSU might could have been successful as independent if they had stayed that way instead of joining the ACC in the 1990's. They could have gotten a Notre Dame like deal. But that's not going to happen now.

FSU might could have been successful as independent if they had stayed that way instead of joining the ACC in the 1990's. They could have gotten a Notre Dame like deal. But that's not going to happen now.
I have sometimes wondered if it has worked out better or worse for Penn State. I think it definitely worked out for FSU to join the ACC, but I’m not so sure about Penn State.

I have sometimes wondered if it has worked out better or worse for Penn State. I think it definitely worked out for FSU to join the ACC, but I’m not so sure about Penn State.
Not that it counts for much in this specific discussion, but it definitely helped the non-revenue sports for both schools. Neither school has the football capital to pull what ND is able to do in being a partial member of a major conference. In a partial member situation with indy football what would be the conference ceilings for PSU and FSU right now? MAC and AAC, respectively?

Not that it counts for much in this specific discussion, but it definitely helped the non-revenue sports for both schools. Neither school has the football capital to pull what ND is able to do in being a partial member of a major conference. In a partial member situation with indy football what would be the conference ceilings for PSU and FSU right now? MAC and AAC, respectively?
Is Penn State good at anything else? I honestly don’t know. FSU could still be good at baseball and women’s soccer. Schools like Coastal and Akron have shown that you can be in minor conferences and still compete in those.

Is being independent working for ND?

Is being independent working for ND?
Financially? Yes. On the field? Probably. Given their domination of the ACC over the past few years before this year, it’s not hard to imagine them making the CFP from the ACC; maybe a time or two. Then again they made it in 2019 (as an independent) and 2021 (from the ACC) anyway.

But then they would have lost to Alabama or Ohio State.

Back