• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Most recently, with no plan, FSU (led by the delusional Weatherford clan) unnecessarily stirred up the Seminole fanbase over the past couple of years about leaving the ACC (and blaming the conference for all of FSU's struggles). Then, when FSU got legitimately hosed by the CFP, there was just no way that FSU leadership could just stand pat. The leadership had no choice, but to blame the snub on the ACC. So, still without a plan, FSU is suing the ACC.

When Florida State agreed to the GOR, as a national university with both in house and outside (out house) counsel (and a law school), FSU is about as sophisticated a party you will ever find to a contract agreement. So, to argue now that the terms are unfair or FSU didn't understand the terms, should not get very far. I assume (and thought that I remembered) that the GOR had a choice of forum clause requiring all suits involving that agreement to be brought in NC. If that is accurate, FSU's 'suit' is really in trouble, as the Noles best hope would be that the case would be brought before a Florida judge (maybe even an FSU grad) who find a way to at least keep the suit alive through the summary judgment stage, with the hope of forcing a settlement.

Unlike Wazzou and OR State, ACC has enough peer schools to Wake that there will be strength in numbers if Armageddon happens. ACC will be a minor league conference to Big Ten/SEC which is really what it is anyways now.

Considering we kick Womble’s ass regularly while barely paying attention, this seems like another horrible decision by Phillips.

Use the same lawyers you’ve always used dumbass. All they did was win and at a fair price unlike those wasteful folks at Womble.

Another horrible impact of heading to Charlotte Is that the bench there barely has ACC homers on it. Sadly the best Superor Court Judge in Mecklenburg (that Strickland guy) is conflicted out. Same with WDNC where that case will now be removed. Whole different game in MDNC.

Last edited:
WSU and OSU thought they had peer schools too.
Which is why adding SMU, Stanford, and Cal was so important. I don’t see BC or Cuse finding homes outside of ACC. Maybe maybe Duke and GT. TBD on Pitt, Lville, State, VT, and Miami. Clemson, FSU, UNC, and UVA are only ones for sure worthy of Big Ten/SEC.

I think the Big XII would be more than happy to add Virginia Tech and NC State to further bolster their eastern wing (they'd have 5 in the Eastern Time Zone, 8 in the Central Time Zone, and 5 in the Mountain Time Zone).

I think the Big XII would be more than happy to add Virginia Tech and NC State to further bolster their eastern wing (they'd have 5 in the Eastern Time Zone, 8 in the Central Time Zone, and 5 in the Mountain Time Zone).
Not sure that is really an accretive move for those schools

They won't have to pay that number based on everything the ACC has failed to deliver to it's members. One example is ACC Network which was 4 years behind schedule which robbed members of money and set us even further behind SEC.
But is that an ACC issue or an ESPN issue.

Considering we kick Womble’s ass regularly while barely paying attention, this seems like another horrible decision by Phillips.

Use the same lawyers you’ve always used dumbass. All they did was win and at a fair price unlike those wasteful folks at Womble.

Another horrible impact of heading to Charlotte Is that the bench there barely has ACC homers on it. Sadly the best Superor Court Judge in Mecklenburg (that Strickland guy) is conflicted out.
Lulz at hiring Womble, they have to be doing a happy dance about the insane amount they are about to bill. The case is going to be in business court, not Meck Superior.

Who am I supposed to believe? A guy on the internet or the team who put together the numbers for a formal presentation to the board?
Is it wrong based upon my experience with board decks that this is a closer call than you might expect?

Jim Phillips biggest failure is in PR. He refuses to defend or stand up for the ACC.

This lawsuit is just another example of a PR failure. The ACC filed a lawsuit first, but the media/narrative is FSU files lawsuit against the ACC! Could have gotten out in front of it and had the narrative be "ACC sues FSU for breach."

They also realize that leaving is not a good decision. They care about winning more than money and don’t have an inflated sense of self-worth about where they’d end up.
I don't have any faith that the people making calls care more about winning than money. They may see a path that winning = more money, but no way is the dollar not the goal here.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) - “Florida State’s decision to file action against the Conference is in direct conflict with their longstanding obligations and is a clear violation of their legal commitments to the other members of the Conference. All ACC members, including Florida State, willingly and knowingly re-signed the current Grant of Rights in 2016, which is wholly enforceable and binding through 2036. Each university has benefited from this agreement, receiving millions of dollars in revenue and neither Florida State nor any other institution, has ever challenged its legitimacy.
“As a league, we are proud of the successes of our student-athletes and that the ACC has won the most NCAA National Championships over the past two and half years while also achieving the highest graduation success and academic performance rates among all FBS conferences, so it is especially disappointing that FSU would choose to pursue this unprecedented and overreaching approach.
“We are confident that the Grant of Rights, which has been honored by all other universities who signed similar agreements, will be affirmed by the courts and the Conference’s legal counsel will vigorously enforce the agreement in the best interests of the ACC’s current and incoming members.”

I like the headline's inclusion of "Statement from...Jim Phillips, Ph.D." :rolleyes:

I am always skeptical of anyone who feels compelled to unnecessarily remind the world that he has a Ph.D., especially when the degree is in "education administration" from Tennessee. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Jim, I ain't the least bit impressed with your Ph.D. In fact, I think you have been failing miserably in your job since the day you took over as ACC commish.

Last edited:
Not sure that is really an accretive move for those schools
Depends on how much money the ACC could garner per school if the conference loses the likes of Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, and North Carolina.

FSU certainly in the running for most insane and out of touch with reality fan base out there. Their social media presence is horrifiyingly dumb.

Folks who practice in this area can chime in, but I'd imagine the FSU challenge rises and falls on whether or not the withdrawal $$$ is a "punitive" measure or actually tied to real media rights $$$ (or at least a good faith effort to use that total as a proxy for actual "damages.")

I wrote a whole law school paper about this in the context of Maryland leaving the ACC but that was years ago and I don't remember a damn thing.
What does is matter if it's punitive? Its a contract.

An excerpt from Currie's message today:

Good Afternoon Demon Deacon Nation,

Sandwiched between two fun basketball wins inside Joel Coliseum yesterday afternoon and what we hope will be a festive and safe holiday weekend for you and your loved ones, we bring you this special edition of From the Quad following today’s news that Florida State has authorized legal action against the Atlantic Coast Conference. You can also read the ACC’s statement here.

We are not surprised by the comments from this morning’s FSU Board of Trustees meeting indicating their dissatisfaction with the ACC which mirrored their complaints from their August board meeting. And, as I shared in From the Quad earlier this week, we understand and share their disappointment in not being selected for the College Football Playoff.

Regardless of how FSU feels, the ACC’s status as the top academic and athletic conference in the country, our long standing partnership with ESPN, the growth of the ACC Network, our grant-of-rights through 2036, and our 18 leading institutions in the nation’s most dynamic states and markets give us tremendous strength as a league. We are excited about Stanford, Cal, and SMU joining as full members next summer as well as the adoption of the innovative success-initiative revenue distribution model that will provide significant opportunities for institutions who have invested in, and achieved, competitive success.

As articulated in the Strategic Framework, Wake Forest is committed to meaningful, mutual partnerships. Indeed, as a charter member of the ACC, the conference represents one of Wake Forest’s oldest and most strategic partnerships.

The ACC office was prepared for this action and has already taken proactive legal steps in anticipation of this FSU action. I am confident in the leadership of the ACC Board of Directors and Executive Committee, including our President Susan R. Wente, Ph.D., and Commissioner Jim Phillips, in protecting and enhancing our league amidst a time of unprecedented evolution in college sports.

At Wake Forest, we are uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics while delivering a World Class Student-Athlete Experience. With our 2.7 million Demon Deacons fans ranking as the fastest growing fanbase in America since 2019, 10 NCAA championships, elite athletics facilities, and a dynamic home city in the heart of North Carolina, we will continue to deliver value to the ACC.

Student-athletes choose Wake Forest because of the opportunity to obtain an elite and distinctive education while competing with the best and against the best on the country’s biggest stages. While today’s announcement from Florida State may create anxiety for some, and will surely provide plenty of content for radio talk shows, rest assured that Wake Forest is in a strong position. Our focus continues towards our vision of being A Model Intercollegiate Athletics Program centered on our five core goals led by providing a World Class Student-Athlete Experience.

Back