• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

They played there two years ago, they also played there to start the season (in a game that actually mattered, and had pretty decent attendance - not as many fans as South Carolina, but still decent). It really made little sense for the ACC to send them there for the 3rd time in 2 calendar years, but FSU's omission from the CFP threw everything for a loop.

15-20 years ago, this location easily sold out UVA/West Virginia, UNC/West Virginia, and UNC/BC matchups, and last night they barely had a need to open the upper level. Bowl games are slowly dying on the vine (attendance wise), but ESPN needs the programming and the bowl execs sure don't want to lose their golden goose, but they've got to find a way to incentivize the players currently opting out to play in the future.
They also played there in the ACCCG last year.

I would argue that the precise reason they got sent there was in the hopes of better attendance since it’s in Charlotte. I’m of the mindset an interesting location for a bowl game (as long as relatively accessible) matters far less than opponent. They were playing a new, interesting opponent and no one showed. Don’t forget that their attendance for the ACC Championship game was also pretty poor considering the location.
I think another contributing factor is ticket prices, too. I wanted to go to the Mayo Bowl last year and was gonna try and get one of my friends at State to buy a student ticket for me but even those were $50. Just not worth it, I don’t think.

I think another contributing factor is ticket prices, too. I wanted to go to the Mayo Bowl last year and was gonna try and get one of my friends at State to buy a student ticket for me but even those were $50. Just not worth it, I don’t think.
not sure about last night's game but we bought stupid cheap Belk Bowl tix from Stubhub when Wake was in it. did the same for the ACCCG 2 years ago.

at least in my experience our “ core” fan base has pretty much been the same 15k or so folks that I’ve been seeing in the stands, tailgate lots and concourses for years regardless of record
I'm impressed that you can recognize/remember 15k people year after year :)

not sure about last night's game but we bought stupid cheap Belk Bowl tix from Stubhub when Wake was in it. did the same for the ACCCG 2 years ago.

Yeah. We bought good but cheap seats to the ACC CG and to the Gator Bowl in 2021. And I’ve bought good seats to games at UNC and Duke in the last few years for practically nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only counter to that is, we’ve kinda sucked forever, and at least in my experience our “ core” fan base has pretty much been the same 15k or so folks that I’ve been seeing in the stands, tailgate lots and concourses for years regardless of record; adjusting obviously over the decades as folks age out. If we end up out of the NIL race to mutual annihilation of the sport. and instead average but long term fans like me can still see our $$ helps support players in all sports get a free or subsidized education while enjoying elite facilities, we may still be able to find our niche. But your overall observation is correct; our support from the highest level (not to mention t.v. $$) would take a massive hit.
Many of us have personal connections from classrooms, dorm, intramural etc. E.g. My suite had a freshman scholarship golfer. He was frequently visited by the other golf team members. Some of them had successful PGA careers. My room mate used to shag punts for the team punter. Three (or more) of us would sometimes go for pizza after I finished afternoon lab. (I had wheels.) These guys are fellow Wake alums. We see them at class reunions etc. or keep in touch more regularly.

I suspect many on here have similar experiences. That is what helps make Wake what it is. I suspect many have similar connections. Seeing g future fellow alums play is part of the attraction of college sports.

Many of us have personal connections from classrooms, dorm, intramural etc. E.g. My suite had a freshman scholarship golfer. He was frequently visited by the other golf team members. Some of them had successful PGA careers. My room mate used to shag punts for the team punter. Three (or more) of us would sometimes go for pizza after I finished afternoon lab. (I had wheels.) These guys are fellow Wake alums. We see them at class reunions etc. or keep in touch more regularly.

I suspect many on here have similar experiences. That is what helps make Wake what it is. I suspect many have similar connections. Seeing g future fellow alums play is part of the attraction of college sports.

Yeah I would have friends visit from bigger schools and they couldn’t believe how visible athletes are in everyday campus life since: 1. Our athletes actually go to class and 2. since it’s such a small school - numbers game is in your favor to cross paths. We also don’t have made up classes like The Anatomy of the Shot Clock like some of our rivals. Just not that many “easy” classes to hide in. I would bet everyone here has at least one hallmate, classmate, lab buddy, club buddy, etc. that would know your first name 20+ years later who played men’s basketball or football. I’m not just talking about tennis, golf, and track. That doesn’t happen at the big boys.

Even if local, many bowl games are played in NFL stadia. That makes them special to the college teams. For most of the players, the bowl games will be their only opportunities to dress in NFL locker rooms and play on NFL fields.

The NFL has been the dream for the players since they started playing football. For most, a bowl game in an NFL stadium is as close as they will get.
Different subject, but that goes doubly for h.s. players who get to play a state championship in a major college stadium. I still don’t understand why Wake dropped out of the NC championships as it should be good for recruiting exposure, but maybe with classifications going from the current 4 up to as many as 8 we’ll get back in.

They also played there in the ACCCG last year.
You're right, four times in the span of two years. I guess I was trying to block that game out of my memory.

Ticket prices are definitely getting out of hand for these conference championship games and bowl games. I think my Duke's Mayo Bowl tickets went up about 30% this year.

I didn’t have a problem when there were far fewer games and the locations were truly a reward. The current system rewards mediocrity. If there were few enough games to truly reward a good season rather than rewarding mediocrity I wouldn’t have an issue with them.
Agree. Would at least like to see the criteria cut back to having a winning record of at least 7-5 to qualify. That would also mean teams have to wind up with a winning record.
Don’t know how many bowls that would cut out but at least 5 or 10 teams without looking at records. Even had to go down the extra list this year for JMU & Jax St (deserved) and 5-7 Minnesota.

6 mediocre seasons (3-5 or 4-4), 3 bad seasons (1-7), and 1 great season (7-1).
Just pointing out a fact here also that Jim Grobe ended his tenure with 5 straight losing seasons. But he did string 1 great one in there (2006) and two more good ones after that (07 & 08), then it was over. But 28 total wins and 15 ACC wins is about as good a run as we are going to get at Wake in 3 years!

Dave has had two 3 year runs with 23 wins and 11 & 13 ACC wins.

The ACC has gone from hero to zero in the past less than a decade and I don’t see it lasting another decade. To Wake, that’s a disaster.
One thing to note beside the GOR ending in 2036 is that our actual contract with ESPN ends in 2027. Reading about it, there is a unilateral option that must be exercised in Feb 2025 (13 months from now) to extend the deal thru 2036. Pretty much means ESPN can walk away in 13 months and we can see who will give us a contract.

One could imagine FSU not making the CFP this year reduces the value of the next ACC contract.

One could imagine FSU not making the CFP this year reduces the value of the next ACC contract.

Still believe it should have been the sec to have sat out this year's CFP.

Wonder if that would have resulted in a reduced value for their next contract?? Hmmmmm....

Possibly, although Fox or one of the other networks may be willing to pay if it means taking another conference away from ESPN.

Back