• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Forbes has complained that they're all too big already.
While I agree with him, coaches and fans don’t have a say in this process. B1G and SEC will expand to the point it brings in more money and if that leaves them at an awkward, too large size then they will coordinate their own realignment among their member schools.
No one is going to turn down a seat at that table, including UNC.

We just spent like a month of FSU fans complaining that they got screwed because of their ACC affiliation.
No rational person is going to argue it is easier to make it to the 4-team CFP in the SEC than in the ACC. That rational person isn’t going to make the assumption that that same FSU team would have gone undefeated in the SEC and been given more credit.
Just because FSU fans bitch about it doesn’t make it reality.

Why would an insanely high buyout make sense for FSU other than an irrational attempt to save face? If the reason for leaving is money, it seems the GOR doesn’t make a buyout a financially advantageous decision.
With the current setup, there isn’t an advantage to being in the SEC or B1G beyond the absurd TV payouts.
I think your last point deserves more discussion. The dirty secret is that a lot of these programs don’t care about being successful. If they make money by putzing around and acting like they care then that’s fine with them. If the fanbase is content with 6-8 wins and just being in the big conference then why should they spend tons of bucks on NIL and coaches?

Just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others, but the only ACC schools that have basically zero leverage going forward are Wake, BC, and Syracuse. Schools like NCSU, VT, 'Ville, PITT and GT aren't much better off, but as fairly large state universities they do possibly get a bone thrown their way by their pairings with "bigger" state bretheren UNC, UVA, KY, PSU and UGA respectively (and possibly from strongest link to weakest on the order I listed them). And of course Duke may make it to a "big boy" league, but if and only if UNC wants them along for the ride.

Just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others, but the only ACC schools that have basically zero leverage going forward are Wake, BC, and Syracuse. Schools like NCSU, VT, 'Ville, PITT and GT aren't much better off, but as fairly large state universities they do possibly get a bone thrown their way by their pairings with "bigger" state bretheren UNC, UVA, KY, PSU and UGA respectively (and possibly from strongest link to weakest on the order I listed them). And of course Duke may make it to a "big boy" league, but if and only if UNC wants them along for the ride.
There is no chance that Kentucky, Penn State or UGA do a thing to "help" L'ville, PItt or GT in the realignment process.

eh, georgia tech is about the size of a private school

There is no chance that Kentucky, Penn State or UGA do a thing to "help" L'ville, PItt or GT in the realignment process.
Wasn’t referring to the other/larger universities helping; more from the butt-insky state legislators.

Phillips calling ND for all-in ACC membership with their #5 best case CFP scenario as an Independent??

Just do it!

They're probably better off going 10-2 and not having to play a conference championship game, which would drop them to 10-3 and potentially cause them to miss the playoff. They also get a week off by not playing in a conference championship game.

The loser of that conference championship game is looking at playing on the road the next weekend.

Kentucky's legislature and/or GA's legislature is not going to be able to force the SEC to accept L'ville and/or GT. Similarly, the government of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania would never be in position to strong arm the Big 10 to taking Pitt. Never ever.

BTW, when the SEC and Big 10 finally impose this on college football, it will be over...

4 AUTO BIDs? Yep, would be great to see Iowa in the CFP with the worst offense in college football

Kentucky's legislature and/or GA's legislature is not going to be able to force the SEC to accept L'ville and/or GT. Similarly, the government of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania would never be in position to strong arm the Big 10 to taking Pitt. Never ever.
That’s correct: for example the legislature can’t force the SEC or Big 10 to take both UNC and NCSU, but they can deny UNC’s leaving for a conference which does not include NCSU, which has already been tossed around in Raleigh. That’s why I listed North Carolina as the most likely and GA and KY as the least likely for that scenario.

BTW, when the SEC and Big 10 finally impose this on college football, it will be over...

4 AUTO BIDs? Yep, would be great to see Iowa in the CFP with the worst offense in college football

Why would other conferences even agree to this? Just refuse the bid. People will eventually tire of the SEC/B1G football show year in year out when its the same 8 teams every year. Like it or not, fans want parity in sports, no?

Back