• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

O/U on number of posts after this one before someone sincerely brings it up again is set at 12.

I don't even really understand the argument. Obviously right now it looks like WV would make sense given the current dynamic of conference realignment. However, most ACC supporters who now understand the "add schools like Louisville or the Big 12 will and the ACC will fragment further/be in an even weaker position to survive" would've been in an uproar about WV not fitting academically or culturally if they were taken proactively instead of Syracuse or Pitt in the last round of expansion.

Someone really should mention that we passed on WVU, and we are now taking UofL. Really surprised it has yet to be mentioned.

I'd rather have Louisville. Better basketball and potentially better football. And at 160, it trounces WVU's 165 on the academics!

Plus you don't have to put up with WVU fans and I'm much more likely to go to an away game in Louisville than I would be in Morgantown....

Count me among those who don't understand the clamoring for WVU.

I thought we went 9 to 11 then 11 to 12. Didn't one of the teams join a year later than the other two?

Gt joined to make 8. FSU joined to make 9. VT and Miami joined to make 11. BC joined to make 12.

I'd rather have Louisville. Better basketball and potentially better football. And at 160, it trounces WVU's 165 on the academics!

And as noted prior, FAR better location to visit than Charleston or wherever the hell WVU is located. You can watch the ponies, catch the bourbon trail or hang downtown.

People haven't mentioned the most important thing yet.

The Louisville cheerleader. God bless her.

I'll take Louisville over WVU and also Maryland, honestly. Probably for the best that we lightened up a little on academics. Think this is a fantastic addition

2la39ty.jpg

Using Maryland logic, we just picked up another rival. GREAT DAY!

In all honesty, Louisville > UMD. Better basketball (obviously), better football (obviously), better atmosphere, better fans (both alum and locals).

Between the schools that were mentioned, I like Louisville the most.

We also just added another HOF bball coach.

Plus we are still in a very strong position in DC with UVa and VT. I can deal with losing some market share in Baltimore

So about Pitino ripping Syracuse for leaving the Big East for the ACC...

If the ACC was going down this road, we should have taken WVU.

Louisville has a chance to improve its academic reputation as a new ACC member, as FSU did after joining. WVU is always going to be an academic dumpster fire. I can't see any argument that Louisville isn't a stronger pick-up than WVU. Better location, better market, better academics, bigger endowment, larger AD budget, better current football, better current basketball, and better overall athletic tradition. I think the ACC presidents couldn't imagine taking WVU as a member institution, but with Louisville, they thought, "eh, it's not that much worse than NC State," and think Louisville can improve to get closer.

If you're a fan of Cincy or UCONN, you have to be sweating right now. There's only one chair left in the ACC. Could either school convince the B1G 10 or Big 12 to take them, if the ACC doesn't? I can't see it. Their best hope is to be a spare part after further expansion shakes things up.

Last edited:
Back