• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh sailor you never took my advice, and continue to post stupid bullshit. you are a fucking idiot.

Trump keeps saying that he believes that this crisis has made him a wartime president, yet he refuses to take national responsibility and leadership and keeps dumping it onto the states. Can you imagine FDR saying to the West Coast states and Hawaii after Pearl Harbor "Good Luck against those Japanese, we'll back anything that you guys want us to do!" And then when the Japanese bomb San Francisco and LA, FDR saying in a fireside chat "well, that's on the Governor of California, they should have been better-prepared for something like that. There's just not much the federal government can do way over here in Washington on the East Coast." That's pretty much where we are right now.

let's stick to what people said in January and February and ignore the Trumpophobe revisionism from March 21

On a Jan. 15 conference call, a leading scientist at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assured local and state public health officials from across the nation that there would soon be a test to detect a mysterious virus spreading from China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/03/coronavirus-cdc-test-kits-public-health-labs/?arc404=true

Fox news was parroting trump's hoax bs. Maybe consume better media jackass.

There's some truth to this. This thread started on Feb 24th, and i've been following this like 6 hours a day for a month straight, but it wasn't until like early March that I actually cancelled my planned trip to NYC on March 12th

Part of the reason Americans weren't worried about it is because the administration wasn't worried about it. Most people just assumed it wouldn't be a major deal like H1N1 or Ebola under Obama. We assumed there would be competent leadership.

that's complete nonsense, you don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about, go back and check what people were saying about the virus in January and February, just go back and look

Facts matter dummy.

sailor sure seems to defend trump a lot for a guy who claims that he doesn't carry water for trump

Biden, or more precisely the person who ghost wrote the article for him, talked about the possibility of a pandemic, not the fact and then proceeded to bash Trump. At the time China had reported hardly any dead, and not many infected. They were telling the world that it was all under control. The WHO only declared the coronavirus to be a pandemic in fact on March 11, 2020.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...he-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020

The ever alert Joe Biden was so concerned about the virus spreading from China to the US that he declared the travel ban to be xenophobic. Apparently, he did not think the possibility of the pandemic as being that serious.

Here is a timeline for you:

So, what did we know? When did we know it?

On Jan. 17, the CDC and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that American citizens returning from travel-restricted countries were being rerouted to specific airports, where they would be screened and isolated. CDC on that day also stated that, “based on current information, the risk from 2019-nCoV to the American public is currently deemed to be low.”

Japan, South Korea, and Thailand reported their first cases of novel coronavirus on Jan. 20.

On Jan. 21, the first case of coronavirus in the United States was reported, of a man who had traveled from Wuhan, China. That is the case President Trump referred to the next day

The Biden ad skips from Jan. 22 to Feb. 27, ignoring crucial developments during that time period.

Jan. 24: The CDC confirmed the second U.S. case of coronavirus, adding again that “based on what we know right now, the immediate risk to America remains low.”

Jan. 28: The WHO published another statement about the coronavirus, with a photograph and headline saying: “WHO, China leaders discuss next steps in battle against coronavirus outbreak.” Pictured are WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Beijing with Chinese President Xi Jinping. According to the release, “The WHO delegation highly appreciated the actions China has implemented in response to the outbreak, its speed in identifying the virus and openness to sharing information with WHO and other countries.”

Think about that: On Jan. 28, the WHO praised China for its “speed and openness” in dealing with the virus. The same day, President Trump expanded U.S. airport screenings to identify travelers showing symptoms and instituted mandatory quarantines.

On Jan. 30, the WHO declared a global health emergency of international concern.

On Jan. 30, the CDC confirmed publicly for the first time the person-to-person spread of Wuhan virus and applauded WHO’s decision. That day, the president created the White House Coronavirus Task Force to coordinate efforts regarding this new disease.

The next day, Jan. 31, the president declared coronavirus a U.S. public health emergency and issued the ban on travel between the United States and China. On that same day, the Senate voted on the production of additional documents in the impeachment trial of President Trump. Campaigning in Iowa that day, Biden criticized President Trump’s China travel ban, saying during an Iowa campaign event, “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia.”

Feb. 4: The White House directed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to step up coronavirus diagnostic testing procedures.

Feb. 5: The CDC issued a public statement saying, “While we continue to believe the immediate risk of 2019nCoV exposure to the general public is low, CDC is undertaking measures to help keep that risk low.”

Feb. 18: The CDC reaffirmed that the “risk to Americans from coronavirus is low.”

Feb. 20: The administration raised travel warnings to their highest level for Japan and South Korea.

It was not until Feb. 26 that the first case of suspected local transmission in the United States was announced by the CDC. President Trump that day named Vice President Pence to lead the Coronavirus Task Force. The next day, Feb. 27, Pence named Dr. Deborah Birx to serve as the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator.

On Feb. 29, the first death from the coronavirus was recorded in the United States. On that date, President Trump halted travel with Iran.

On March 11, the WHO declared coronavirus a worldwide pandemic. The next day, on March 12, President Trump imposed travel restrictions on Europe and elsewhere. Biden criticized that decision also.

Then, on March 13, President Trump declared a national emergency.

If Pelosi believes the president should have done something at the beginning, when exactly does she think was the ‘beginning’? Was it during the impeachment proceedings that Pelosi instigated? Should Pelosi bear some responsibility for what she perceives as the president’s failure to focus on the coronavirus back in January?

The single most important step taken by President Trump was his closing of U.S. travel with China, which happened on Jan. 31, something the president reminds us at every briefing.

He’s right, but what he doesn’t say is he made that decision at a time the CDC was assuring us the risk to America was low, the WHO was covering for China, Democrats were trying to impeach the president, and Biden was attacking the decision as xenophobic.

It is impossible to overestimate the number of American lives saved by that momentous decision by President Trump on January 31. And no media or Pelosi false narratives or phony Biden campaign ad can change the truth about the real chronology of the coronavirus.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/3...top-of-it-while-biden-was-mocking-the-danger/

There's some truth to this. This thread started on Feb 24th, and i've been following this like 6 hours a day for a month straight, but it wasn't until like early March that I actually cancelled my planned trip to NYC on March 12th

Right. Because our federal government, that did have information to know better, failed in their responsibility to inform you appropriately of the risk. Your government was saying it was no big deal and about to be gone. Go about your business as usual. Our general population did not start to appreciate the risk until 2-3 months after it should have. That is why it is asinine to say our current circumstance was inevitable.

Sailor’s post is stupid as shit and proves my point. We knew better but look at what people were saying even after we should know better. This administration fucked this up. Horribly.

I have to think that this Rear Admiral wouldn’t have repeatedly gotten Dr Birx’s name wrong if she was a man.

Biden, or more precisely the person who ghost wrote the article for him, talked about the possibility of a pandemic, not the fact and then proceeded to bash Trump. At the time China had reported hardly any dead, and not many infected. They were telling the world that it was all under control. The WHO only declared the coronavirus to be a pandemic in fact on March 11, 2020.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...he-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020

The ever alert Joe Biden was so concerned about the virus spreading from China to the US that he declared the travel ban to be xenophobic. Apparently, he did not think the possibility of the pandemic as being that serious.

Here is a timeline for you:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/3...top-of-it-while-biden-was-mocking-the-danger/

Jan. 24: The CDC confirmed the second U.S. case of coronavirus, adding again that “based on what we know right now, the immediate risk to America remains low.”
On Jan. 30, the WHO declared a global health emergency of international concern.
On Jan. 30, the CDC confirmed publicly for the first time the person-to-person spread of Wuhan virus and applauded WHO’s decision. That day, the president created the White House Coronavirus Task Force to coordinate efforts regarding this new disease.
It was not until Feb. 26 that the first case of suspected local transmission in the United States was announced by the CDC. President Trump that day named Vice President Pence to lead the Coronavirus Task Force. The next day, Feb. 27, Pence named Dr. Deborah Birx to serve as the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator.

Who was in charge of the Corona Virus Task Force during the month of February? They sucked. That is a month that action could have been taken to start preparations. If the risk still seemed minor at the end of February, then you scale down. This was terrible management from the top (Trump) down. How is this so hard to see?

Trump has clearly been coached not to say the words “100,000 deaths”. I think they are terrified it will be used in campaign ads.

Who was in charge of the Corona Virus Task Force during the month of February? They sucked. That is a month that action could have been taken to start preparations. If the risk still seemed minor at the end of February, then you scale down. This was terrible management from the top (Trump) down. How is this so hard to see?

How hard is it to see that the responsible organizations such as WHO and CDC on whom everyone, including the Trump administration, depended for accurate information and assessments were downplaying the potential impact of the virus througout January and most of February. And the Chinese failed to provide accurate information as well. As a result almost everyone around the world underestimated the impact of the virus and was unprepared for it. And Trump's critics were bashing him for the most effective steps he took, the travel bans.

How hard is it to see that the responsible organizations such as WHO and CDC on whom everyone, including the Trump administration, depended for accurate information and assessments were downplaying the potential impact of the virus througout January and most of February. And the Chinese failed to provide accurate information as well. As a result almost everyone around the world underestimated the impact of the virus and was unprepared for it. And Trump's critics were bashing him for the most effective steps he took, the travel bans.

Who do you think is in charge of the CDC?

Because he's carrying water for an administration that disrespects him and all Americans that are wealthy, privileged, and white.

Can you imagine how hard it is for sailor to not type china virus while its kicking around his head?

No one complained about shutting off travel from China because of this. Did not happen anywhere other than fox news this week. Maybe last. I also love you are shifting blame to the WHO while trump is shifting it to the governors.

Coronavirus / Bad Flu 69 !!

Trump was supposed to overrule the CDC? I thought you guys said you supported science. Or maybe that was just talk. Who cares about the scientists say when you can bash Trump.

“The CDC learned of a cluster of cases in China on Dec. 31 and began developing reports for HHS on Jan. 1. But the most unambiguous warning that U.S. officials received about the coronavirus came Jan. 3, when Robert Redfield, the CDC director, received a call from a counterpart in China. The official told Redfield that a mysterious respiratory illness was spreading in Wuhan, a congested commercial city of 11 million people in the communist country’s interior.

Redfield quickly relayed the disturbing news to Alex Azar, the secretary of HHS, the agency that oversees the CDC and other public health entities. Azar, in turn, ensured that the White House was notified, instructing his chief of staff to share the Chinese report with the National Security Council.”

Trump was supposed to listen to the CDC, not ignore it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ncy-is-sidelined-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

States as of today based on per capita deaths since that is a metric some here focus upon. These will continue to shift as some places move into their worst weeks and others start to exit.

1 New York

2 New Jersey (I believe they have moved up)

3 Louisiana

4 Michigan

5 Connecticut

6 Washington

7 Vermont (a lot of deaths for not a lot of cases)

8 DC (included in this list, big jump in deaths today)

9 Massachusetts

10 - USA - as a whole

11 Colorado

12 Rhode Island (Governor has been taking steps to close borders and quarantine visitors)

13 Illinois

14 Georgia

15 Indiana (I was concerned about their high case rate per tests administered. Also, Indy is a major transport hub for Detroit, Louisville, Chicago, Cincy and Columbus).

16 Nevada

17 Delaware

18 Mississippi

19 Wisconsin (Driven by Milwaukee's corridor with Chicago)

20 Pennsylvania

21 Oklahoma (Not sure I get this one being in this spot right now)

22 Maryland

23 Florida (Cases spiking. Lots of hospital beds. But older population has me worried)

24 Ohio (Surprised they are this low given geography)

25 Kentucky

26 Alabama

27 Arizona

28 California (Strong early action)

29 South Carolina

30 Tennessee (Another where I'm surprised they are this low given geography)

31 Kansas

32 Maine

33 Missouri

34 Alaska

35 New Hampshire

36 Oregon

37 Virginia (Another where I'm surprised they are so low. Bad forecasts may not happen?)

38 New Mexico

39 Iowa (Moving up)

40 Idaho (Here because one town has been hit hard due to tourism)

41 Montana

42 Arkansas

43 Minnesota

44 Texas (Another state that is lower than I'd expect)

45 Nebraska

46 NoDak

47 North Carolina (Given population and I40 and I85 this is surprising)

48 Hawaii

49 Utah (Only 8 deaths on over 1600 cases)

50 SoDak

51 West Virginia

52 Wyoming (Only state with zero deaths)

States as of today based on per capita deaths since that is a metric some here focus upon. These will continue to shift as some places move into their worst weeks and others start to exit.

1 New York

2 New Jersey (I believe they have moved up)

3 Louisiana

4 Michigan

5 Connecticut

6 Washington

7 Vermont (a lot of deaths for not a lot of cases)

8 DC (included in this list, big jump in deaths today)

9 Massachusetts

10 - USA - as a whole

11 Colorado

12 Rhode Island (Governor has been taking steps to close borders and quarantine visitors)

13 Illinois

14 Georgia

15 Indiana (I was concerned about their high case rate per tests administered. Also, Indy is a major transport hub for Detroit, Louisville, Chicago, Cincy and Columbus).

16 Nevada

17 Delaware

18 Mississippi

19 Wisconsin (Driven by Milwaukee's corridor with Chicago)

20 Pennsylvania

21 Oklahoma (Not sure I get this one being in this spot right now)

22 Maryland

23 Florida (Cases spiking. Lots of hospital beds. But older population has me worried)

24 Ohio (Surprised they are this low given geography)

25 Kentucky

26 Alabama

27 Arizona

28 California (Strong early action)

29 South Carolina

30 Tennessee (Another where I'm surprised they are this low given geography)

31 Kansas

32 Maine

33 Missouri

34 Alaska

35 New Hampshire

36 Oregon

37 Virginia (Another where I'm surprised they are so low. Bad forecasts may not happen?)

38 New Mexico

39 Iowa (Moving up)

40 Idaho (Here because one town has been hit hard due to tourism)

41 Montana

42 Arkansas

43 Minnesota

44 Texas (Another state that is lower than I'd expect)

45 Nebraska

46 NoDak

47 North Carolina (Given population and I40 and I85 this is surprising)

48 Hawaii

49 Utah (Only 8 deaths on over 1600 cases)

50 SoDak

51 West Virginia

52 Wyoming (Only state with zero deaths)

DC reported 1 death today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back