• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some possible good news here in NC - researchers at the University of Washington now believe that NC, thanks in part to the stay-at-home order, will have far fewer deaths than originally predicted: "Researchers at the school’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now think about 500 people will die from COVID-19 in North Carolina, down from the more than 2,400 they predicted just a week and a half ago."

Link: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241782606.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_504330

Some possible good news here in NC - researchers at the University of Washington now believe that NC, thanks in part to the stay-at-home order, will have far fewer deaths than originally predicted: "Researchers at the school’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now think about 500 people will die from COVID-19 in North Carolina, down from the more than 2,400 they predicted just a week and a half ago."

Link: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241782606.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_504330

Thank you, Gov. Cooper. No thanks to you, Lt. Forrest.

526195_bigpicture_177995_coronavirus_pk_kurz_ostererlass_body_a.jpg

That's how our chancellor and vice-chancellor came out to brief the media today about the process of reopening the country, starting next week.

Compare that picture to President "I think that wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens — I don't know, somehow I don't see it for myself" Trump.

With SC still holding out though on a stay at home order I'm not going to take any victory laps in NC

Coronavirus / Bad Flu 69 !!

Updates to the same model say DC has passed it's peak need for hospital beds already. I'm skeptical, but we'll see how the next week plays out.

At least he's got lots of company from the esteemed worthies of the Religious Right. I saw video clips earlier today of Franklin Graham (on Jeanine Pirro's show, no less) saying that the coronavirus outbreak happened because the world has turned its back on God and we are being punished for our sins, and another of Kenneth Copeland literally using his breath to blow the coronavirus away. LOL.

I can't quite LOL at this 1. While it's batshit crazy, these are the type of folks who influence the administration, and Fox is the preferred news source for conservative white folks. And that interchange between Navarro and Fauci again has me concerned for Fauci's job. The federal response has been atrocious and uncoordinated thus far and will probably continue to be. I emailed that Daily Show segment to my Fox watching parents. Haven't heard back yet.

ConnorEl, 1 of the first folks to die in VA was an evangelical pastor who had not stopped conducting services. Trouble is, I doubt these types of stories will be reported on Fox.

With SC still holding out though on a stay at home order I'm not going to take any victory laps in NC

One hopeful positive is that much of SC pop. near NC (Charlotte area specifically like Fort Mill/Rock Hill/etc.) were essentially on shut down as well since so many's work tied to Charlotte/NC. Rest of SC is fairly rural outside Columbia and Charleston which hopefully helps to minimize significant community spread. Now if we find out Columbia or Charleston are having issues then time to get concerned as still a lot of connections between those cities and Charlotte and other areas in NC.

One hopeful positive is that much of SC pop. near NC (Charlotte area specifically like Fort Mill/Rock Hill/etc.) were essentially on shut down as well since so many's work tied to Charlotte/NC. Rest of SC is fairly rural outside Columbia and Charleston which hopefully helps to minimize significant community spread. Now if we find out Columbia or Charleston are having issues then time to get concerned as still a lot of connections between those cities and Charlotte and other areas in NC.

and uh the whole Greenville/Spartanburg area, with tons of manufacturing, logistics, etc.

IMHE group with updates to their model yesterday. Nice explainer linked below. Slight decrease in their expected cumulative deaths through the first wave, as well as a decrease in hospital beds. Good news.

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

IMHE group with updates to their model yesterday. Nice explainer linked below. Slight decrease in their expected cumulative deaths through the first wave, as well as a decrease in hospital beds. Good news.

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

They cleaned up Alabama a bit, which preciously had unexplained humongous deaths (orders of magnitude above others). Now projecting that Louisiana is past its peak. I hope they're right on that one but subsequent to the modeling LA had a bad day.

and uh the whole Greenville/Spartanburg area, with tons of manufacturing, logistics, etc.

fair point but pretty sure their public schools have been closed for a few weeks and know some large plants like BMW/Volvo have closed down although some of the ones defense related like Boeing continue to drive on. No idea if folks still going to restaurants/outlet malls, but have to think with a more informed group of citizens like a larger city you will have more folks being cautious/social distancing/avoiding going out and always some that will act like nothing is going on. You can still see that in Charlotte if visit any parks and surprised they haven't been officially closed down.

Seems to be a positive day today. Things looking up overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back