• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's been obvious almost from the beginning. Trump is a self-proclaimed "wartime president" who has consistently dragged his feet and refused to use his office to coordinate a national response from the feds. Instead he's dumped a good deal of his responsibilities onto state governors, and some of them (like DeSantis in Florida or Abbott in Texas) have subsequently dumped their responsibilities onto local officials. And this is the man that his followers see as an Alpha Male Strong Man Leader. Right. Imagine FDR after Pearl Harbor saying to Hawaii and the West Coast "Good Luck with those nasty Japanese - you guys take charge and I'll have the federal government support you as much as we can!"

Math today is really tough.

First the good -

Italy - under 4,000 cases again. Nice to see after a couple of tougher days.

Pretty much every other nation in Europe saw an increase in day over day new cases. The UK surged to over 8,000 new cases today. Germany saw a significant day over day increase as well. Ditto for France although their reporting tends to be all over the map. Some good pockets, good being a relative term. Austria continues to sit on around 300 new cases per day - so that's at least not bad.

Japan - Ugh. Over 800 new cases today. That is a bad trend. I also fear Singapore is losing its battle to contain and is headed into mitigation. New orders there from the government on locking down.

The US is already at a high water mark for new cases in a day at over 33,000 - pushing towards 34,000. New York saw its single highest day total of new cases at over 12,600 - and could add more (perhaps they are just testing like mad now). Massachusetts is becoming a big hot spot right now. Second straight day of more than 2,000 new cases. Florida a lone piece of good news with 700 instead of over 1,000 new cases today.

New projections from the University of Washington peg total expected deaths up to 61,000 from 59,000 on their mid-case. High end is over 150K vs. about 130K last view. Low cases actually dipped a bit.

That's been obvious almost from the beginning. Trump is a self-proclaimed "wartime president" who has consistently dragged his feet and refused to use his office to coordinate a national response from the feds. Instead he's dumped a good deal of his responsibilities onto state governors, and some of them (like DeSantis in Florida or Abbott in Texas) have subsequently dumped their responsibilities onto local officials. And this is the man that his followers see as an Alpha Male Strong Man Leader. Right. Imagine FDR after Pearl Harbor saying to Hawaii and the West Coast "Good Luck with those nasty Japanese - you guys take charge and I'll have the federal government support you as much as we can!"

I do know in some states the county health departments actually have more power than the State department of health. That is the case, for instance, in Utah. The state can say one thing and the county has the power to override. And it does appear to me, although I don't know this for a fact, that Florida has a similar type of system. I think that works well when you have localized issues. It's not good when you have a global pandemic.

Trump wants credit for reopening the economy but he didn’t close it. The private sector, states, and local governments did.

Everyone knows he is way too lazy to do actual work. He has never worked hard for anything. He's a puddin' pants who acts tough and lies and swindles and has one skill, media savvy

This dumbass wrote a memo to warn Trump and went on TV to say everything is fine. If you want Trump to know something you say it on TV, you don't expect him to read it.

Not true because they adjust the graphs so the countries start at an infection level of 100 cases and move by day. A more accurate comparison would be either compare the US to Western Europe, but that wouldn't paint the picture that they want.

I've seen graphs that show it on a logarithmic scale. The US is not doing better.

It does seem a complicated issue with demand from restaurants down

Testing rates by nation. Context here matters as ramping testing early enabled South Korea to contact trace aggressively and keep this thing under better control. But testing as a whole is still critical. I'm giving you the raw number and then the per capita percentage. Note the US number is driven by hot spot states - it needs to move out into other parts of the nation. The decision within the CDC to develop our own test that massively delayed testing roll outs in our nation was an epic failure of management. Also keep in mind where the US, Aussie and Canada are relative to Europe in the outbreak (the numbers in these countries in theory should be less than in countries further up their outbreak curve).

Australia - 338K 1.38%

Austria - 140.9K 1.57%

Belgium - 96.6K 0.85%

Canada - 398K 1.06%

Colombia - 37.6K 0.08%

Denmark - 70.9K 1.27%

France - 333.8K 0.50%

Germany 1.32M 1.59%

Hong Kong 96.7K 1.31%

Iran - 242.5K 0.30%

Ireland 42.4K 0.97%

Italy - About 700K 1.16%

Japan - 68.7K 0.05%

Netherlands - 101.5K 0.59%

Norway - 121K 2.1%

Panama 7K 0.18%

Singapore - 65K 1.27%

South Korea - 510.5K 0.99%

Spain 355K 0.76%

Sweden 54.7K 0.54%

Switzerland - 167.4K 1.95%

Thailand 23.6K 0.03%

UK - 256.6K 0.39%

United States - 2.56M 0.78%

- California 185.3K 0.47%
- Florida 165.7K 0.78%
- Indiana 26.2K 0.39% (and has a high known case load)
- Kentucky 24.3K 0.52%
- Massachusetts 102.4K 1.65%
- Minnesota 33.9K 0.62%
- New Jersey 113.5K 1.28%
- New York 417.9K 2.14%
- Utah 40.8K 1.29%
- Washington 88K 1.17%

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/20...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Discusses the practical and political hurdles of contact tracing and testing. I think it downplays the impact of a therapeutic.

If South Korea can do it pretty much any state in our country can do it. The only massive issue we will need to get our head around are travel restrictions. We will not have an even outbreak from state to state and as such we would need to implement policies that restrict the ability of people to move from state to state without self quarantines.

So I assume I won’t be going to either London or Disney World this August like I had planned, right?

DeacMan- you may have touched on it already, but I've had to correct/qualify the UW projection (Murray) for a few friends IRL that are following this thread.

The 59,000-61,000 modeling only forecasts deaths through August '20 AND it assumes social-distancing will continue throughout that timeframe.

Assuming a proper vaccine is still a year away from the end of that modeling, betting the over with people misinformed about that data is easy money.

I'm guessing I'm not telling you anything new, but I thought I'd put a shitty addendum here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back