• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 102: let us discuss bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you go dressed as Uhuru or a tribble?

I don't know what either of those things are, but I feel like a young, progressive rj was probably into the black chick from the original series. Is that Uhuru? I'm not a big Star Trek guy, but I did like the last movie.

Sooooo...

I just saw the complete Farrah Abraham video. I have two observations.

1) She is so vapid that I feel like there was a fourth hole being pounded all throughout the video - the gaping void left by her intellect.

2) I have an ex-girlfriend who was dumber than Farrah (if that is even possible). I'm ashamed.

So you're telling us you just cranked it.

Good thing I did so much yard work this week. I just got a violation notice from the city about high grass and weeds. I really need to buy a lawn mower soon so I can be a responsible homeowner instead of just using a weedwhacker to "mow" the whole yard which is much less efficient. Well I assume so. I've never mowed a lawn before but it has to go faster than the weedwhacker.

I'm on the opposite end of that. Bike shops don't carry my size either. I ordered like 10 different bikes during this process cuz shops only carry the mid range stuff.

Have you ridden the bianchi volpe? It's pretty awesome, but at the end of the day I wasn't as comfortable as on the surly.

i loved the 2012. almost bought it, but ended up just doing work on my bike instead. here's a pic:

2012_Bianchi_Volpe_Tiagra.jpg

As usual, LBE knows her stuff, but I've got to disagree on several things. The sort of commuting you are looking to do is totally different than the sort of commuting that she does. Until you know that you like it, and that you are going to stick with it, don't invest in all that stuff: buy the floor pump, the lights, the helmet, the D-lock and chain, and that's it. Wear a backpack instead of investing in panniers, drive on rainy days instead of buying and installing fenders.

If you are still into it at the end of the summer, go all out to make your ride more comfortable and efficient. I cycle absolutely everywhere -- to the shop, grocers, bars, parties, work, movies et cetera -- and I ride a steel 1980's Raleigh 10-speed with suicide brakes and stem friction shifters, carry an old canvas messenger bag, and wear my D-lock and chain like a bandoleer. I love it.

hipster

Between you and deacphan: frame pump, pannier bags, padded shorts and wicking shirts, leg cuffs, off the top of my head. All good things, but unnecessary at this point.

A flat repair kit is not terribly expensive, but he is only commuting like eight miles round trip (on Peacehaven and Polo road). If he gets a flat, he can walk to Ken's.

i added the caveat that if it's something you like doing and down the road purchase.

This is exactly my ride -- decals and all -- except I took off the kickstand, and I've got black cloth on the drop bars instead of white. Looks like it is a 1978. LOVE IT.

tom-1978-raleigh-grand-prix_01.jpg

Hit the beach with my brother today.

One fifth tequila. One bottle OJ. Profit.

This is my bike, I never ride it. 1972 model. Almost exactly like this picture except my handles are yellow and I took the bracket thingie off the back.

schwinncontinentallg.jpg

nice. love the old school bikes. i've spent the last hour on zinn bikes website. i think that may be where i get the frame for my new bike. need to take measurements today to determine if i should go custom or not. get back from your haircut ladyfriend!

my bike's yellow too. i have orange handlebar tape to match the orange lettering. i just added a warriors sticker though. it's pretty dope.

Between you and deacphan: frame pump, pannier bags, padded shorts and wicking shirts, leg cuffs, off the top of my head. All good things, but unnecessary at this point.

A flat repair kit is not terribly expensive, but he is only commuting like eight miles round trip (on Peacehaven and Polo road). If he gets a flat, he can walk to Ken's.

the frame pump was if he did pump over CO2 cartridges in a flat repair kit, which is just preference. i guess with that commute he doesnt NEED a flat repair kit, but i still think it's a responsible thing to have. i never said anything about the panniers. padded shorts just make things more comfortable, so no- not NECESSARY but they answered the question of "what about clothes". I know he already has wicking shirts, so i said use what you have. re: leg cuffs. reflective items never hurt, especially when on trafficked roads at rush hour. so no, not NECESSARY but it's $10 worth of safety.
i recognize i'm being unreasonably defensive, but whatever.

When I biked in Chapel Hill (mehbe 15-25 miles a week) for my last year I never got/used a flat repair kit. Mehbe I was just lucky?

i went 2 years without a flat and then got 2 in one day. so lucky, maybe? but shit happens.

I've been commuting for six years and had only a single flat. I've had loads of other problems, but only the one flat tire. It happens, but my Raleigh tires are at like 70 psi, not the 110 psi I maintain in my trek tires.

yeah, lower psi helps if that's what the tires call for.
i guess i figure if someone is using a bike to get to work, where they presumably have to be there by a certain time (ish), it's just good practice to have everything you need to get there. if you get a flat, you still have to get to work... so you need to fix it. shrug.

again, so defensive. sorry guys.

i know why i'm defensive right now. i'm fucking pissed at my race this morning- the lap counter miscounted my laps, but if i got out of the pool when i thought i should have (which was before when they thought i should have) i would have been DQ'd. so my swim time was fucking atrocious (relative to the other 'fast people'), and that mentally screwed me over for the first half of the bike portion. it also makes a difference of two overall places if i plug in the swim time i should have had vs. the one recorded.

No need to get defensive, LBE: you know your stuff, and probably better than most around here. Sorry about the race -- I have had that happen in an indoor 5k, and it totally blows.

No need to get defensive, LBE: you know your stuff, and probably better than most around here. Sorry about the race -- I have had that happen in an indoor 5k, and it totally blows.

yep.

So, #nerdalert, but this is really fucking cool. Some mathematician bro named Shinichi Mochizuki is being claimed to have invented Bitcoin, as of today.

Turns out this Mochizuki guy is fascinating as shit. He claims to have solved some ridiculously complicated math conjecture, and he simply posted 4 papers online and then went radio silent. The math world has been trying to figure them out, but the dude is either a genius who's far above all these other noobs or he's batshit crazy. The papers are totally inscrutable.

MATH MYSTERY!

http://projectwordsworth.com/the-paradox-of-the-proof/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back