• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - Wakephan09 loves Jeff [Redacted] like a fat kid loves cake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that I’ve finally decided to hang up the ole whistle after the season. Drafted my resignation letter today.

what made you finally ready to abandon your kids?

Haha. My biological ones and the fact that my wife doesn’t want anymore so everything I miss now with them I’m missing for the last time. Plus I’m tired. I have no clue how college coaches do it for so long. I’m only 40 and my workload pales in comparison to theirs and I’m straight up exhausted.

Haha. My biological ones and the fact that my wife doesn’t want anymore so everything I miss now with them I’m missing for the last time. Plus I’m tired. I have no clue how college coaches do it for so long. I’m only 40 and my workload pales in comparison to theirs and I’m straight up exhausted.

I think about college vs professional coaching every now and then & I cannot think of any reason why I would ever want to be a college coach due to the constant grind. #hustleculture

Good for you for hanging it up tho, enjoy that time with your kiddos

On the topic of interviews, are any other academics doing or hosting virtual job talks?

Our department voted to shift to virtual for a tenured track hire. I’ve heard other departments are doing it. So far so good, but I really don’t like hiring someone who I may work with for the next 20-30 years and who may be at my retirement party without meeting them first.
I did a campus visit in mid-March 2020 as everything was shutting down. Teaching demonstration and job talk changed to faculty only. No meals except for one at the chair's house. They had the first night fancy meal delivered to my hotel room

Then a few weeks later a fully online campus visit which was not the 48 hour intensive kind but just the vital meetings with groups of faculty and deans. They even skipped the student meetings.

I expect that the whole process has become a lot more streamlined now. I'm following a couple of hires at my previous institution and they're doing fully-online campus visits. I'm with you about wanting to meet a colleague in person before extending them possibly a lifetime job

I suggested we bring the top candidate to campus before extending an offer but that got shot down.

My wife is currently chair and they’re on round two of hiring after their first full search/offer cycle ended in an offer decline and no other suitable candidates.

It sounds like a miserable process.

Yeah. That happened to us when I was on the search committee. We had one person turn us down for a prestigious post-doc. One took a job with a big time private research company. Other stayed at her institution. We didn’t like another one.

Everything worked out though. We got a great candidate who was too qualified for the job and went up for tenure a few years later. And I got lots of free meals.

Last edited:
no other suitable candidates.

It sounds like a miserable process.

This is one part I really hate about the process. You had a pool of literally hundreds of applicants. Dig back into the pool if you've picked only shit finalists

It really is miserable for everyone involved.

I’m on a provost’s faculty affairs committee. We had somebody from HR who said the ideal search has 30-40 candidates. More than that and it’s too broad. The search I was on years ago had over 100 candidates. The job ad had ors that should have been ands.

I rarely hear exact numbers, but I'm confident there are no searches at all in my field with fewer than 100. TT jobs regularly have 500-600. It's ridiculous.

A Santa Barbara TT job several years ago only got 350 and their committee was dumbfounded. They even included a campus photograph in the circulated advertisement

You don't live in Santa Barbara do you? I lived there for a year. Easy to understand why people would want to go there for a few years.

But also easy to get why people might not want to settle down there. Housing costs are LOL nuts

This is one part I really hate about the process. You had a pool of literally hundreds of applicants. Dig back into the pool if you've picked only shit finalists

It really is miserable for everyone involved.

I’ve served as a search committee chair before and at least one reason, at some universities, is that before you can make an offer you have to report to HR why you have selected a specific candidate and why the others were rejected. You can indícate other candidates are acceptable but not preferred which enables you to offer someone else if your top choice falls through, but our committee declared all but the 4 interviewees unacceptable because of “lack of fit” before the interviews even started. Fortunately two of the candidates have great interviews and the top choice accepted.

You don't live in Santa Barbara do you? I lived there for a year. Easy to understand why people would want to go there for a few years.

But also easy to get why people might not want to settle down there. Housing costs are LOL nuts

No, they didn't even interview me. (Usually 20+ interviews, 4 finalists get campus visits)

Unfortunately, "a few years" isn't really part of the calculation. You take what you can get because odds are that you'll never get another offer

But agreed on both accounts. Would be a good place to go for school or a short-term job

I’ve served as a search committee chair before and at least one reason, at some universities, is that before you can make an offer you have to report to HR why you have selected a specific candidate and why the others were rejected. You can indícate other candidates are acceptable but not preferred which enables you to offer someone else if your top choice falls through, but our committee declared all but the 4 interviewees unacceptable because of “lack of fit” before the interviews even started. Fortunately two of the candidates have great interviews and the top choice accepted.
Yes, I think this is the case at many universities. It's even worse at Canadian universities: if they want to hire a non-Canadian, they have to write a formal letter, as a legal requirement, to declare that no Canadian applicants are qualified. If their top non-Canadian candidate turns them down, the search automatically fails

*only state-funded schools, I assume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back