• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTCT: Featuring the Human Selfie Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had this happen right in the middle of college baseball recruiting. He was an idiot and sent a "selfie" to an online "girl". To make it even better he was going to a private Christian HS. We spent a long day with him working with the police and waiting to here from the principal on if he violated a school code of conduct policy. He was a man and self-reported it to the principal (his choice before we even suggested it) so they showed some grace...but yeah he was extorted and really convinced his baseball career was over. Horrible horrible helpless feeling as a parent.

Absolutely terrifying.

just anecdotally i feel like I have become less focused do to the amount of time i spend on my phone. To your point the lomng term impacts to the tech generation will be interesting to say the least

Same. I have a longstanding policy of no phones on vacation except a very small window to check in on a few things.

just anecdotally i feel like I have become less focused do to the amount of time i spend on my phone. To your point the lomng term impacts to the tech generation will be interesting to say the least
I used to argue with my wife that social media wasn't all bad. That things like the Arab Spring and other movements are a pretty big advantage. I gave up that argument years ago though. She's totally right. Social Media is definitely a net negative on humanity.

Absolutely terrifying.
he was 17 at the time...so a whole other set of complexity there. had to give his phone to the police for 2 weeks, etc. of course they had no luck with anything.

I can still remember eveery minute of that day. Starting with the wife calling me at the office while i was on a video call. she did the old'. emergency call twice back to back deal...then i remember every second after.

We've talked a little in our friend group about doing what we can to collectively delay the phone/social media nightmare. No phones at school seems like the no brainer-est of no brainers

We have our 17 year olds phone locked down during school hours to where he can only contact us parents, his sports coaches, or 911.

We've talked a little in our friend group about doing what we can to collectively delay the phone/social media nightmare. No phones at school seems like the no brainer-est of no brainers
Those policies are impossible to enforce. The way to go is to allow them but have designated places they have to put them during class. You can't and won't ban them. Mostly because our generation of parents are too anxious to be disconnected from their kids for that long.

Those policies are impossible to enforce. The way to go is to allow them but have designated places they have to put them during class. You can't and won't ban them. Mostly because our generation of parents are too anxious to be disconnected from their kids for that long.
Multiple schools have done this thought right? Either no phones at all, or some version of everyone has to turn their phones in? Admittedly haven't read a ton about it but my impression was that it had been a massive success wherever tried.

Multiple schools have done this thought right? Either no phones at all, or some version of everyone has to turn their phones in? Admittedly haven't read a ton about it but my impression was that it had been a massive success wherever tried.
There's definitely limits to the effectiveness. Banning them outright is guaranteed to get push back from parents. Having the bags, lockers, or some variation is the most successful strategy from my understanding. Remember that kids (and adults) are quite literally addicted to these things. Take them away, and they start jonesing.

we haven't had a bullying problem (yet) but we have had a possible learning disorder problem and the school goes out of its way to obfuscate and delay testing/reporting/etc to avoid having to devote any engergies at all towards the process unless you badger them relentlessly

and this is a good district with actual funding. fucking drives me bananas
I experienced this with both kids. My youngest is dyslexic and my oldest is bipolar. School system kinda sucked on the bipolar issues. Led to big problems and a two month suspension in 7th grade.

And for most of us, we didn't have these devices at a time that our brains were still developing. So, it is easier for us to manage any physiological response to phone dependency. Research is showing that the devices and social media are re-wiring kids' brains.

I experienced this with both kids. My youngest is dyslexic and my oldest is bipolar. School system kinda sucked on the bipolar issues. Led to big problems and a two month suspension in 7th grade.
in PA they don't even recognize dyslexia as a diagnosis (which is what we've suspected) it's all bundled in as "reading/learning disordeer" and the school was like "you're daughter's fiiiiinnnnnee"

have been working on addressing it private/outside the district

Being off the grid last week for 4 days was so relaxing and awesome.

i talked to a few of our parent friends and we're all moving towards the no phones until they're like 16, back to a landline, and a family PC with no screens in bedrooms

our kids will be the "our parents don't let us watch TV" kids of yore

Last edited:
Stones “Dead Flowers” or Townes “Dead Flowers”?

i talked to a few of our parent frieends and we're all movingg towwards the no phones until they're like 16, back to a landline, and a family PC with no screens in bedrooms

our kids will be the "our parents don't let us watch TV" kids of yore
I wish we had done it differently, but we can't change the past. The hope will be that as she gets older, she'll have the tools and experience to manage it more effectively than if she had to learn how to handle it later in life, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back