• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Culture Question

And has emails from NATIONAL SPORTS WRITERS!!???OMG!! whose names he can't share, but who tell him all sorts of insider information.

cough cough Shaka wants to move to a small basketball school, must be Wake cough cough

WakeForest22890--

What do you think culture change is/was if not student-athlete stuff?

I don't think there was a culture change. I don't think that was ever a point anyone substantively wanted to make, it was just a talking point that then people pressed on for which Ron had no answer.

I am very curious to see how Jaybone is going to continue to defend his hypothesis without using Jeff Teague as a scapegoat

I'll put it this way. When we lost to Cleveland State, Teague never came back to campus. He went straight into ensuring he was a mid 1st round pick mode. I don't think that sat well with Wellman at all. I call that a student athlete problem. If you have dozens of friends on campus, you are bummed you lost that game for yourself but also your school, your friends, etc... If you have been playing for draft position all season, then that continues to be your focus.

And I love Teague, I really do, but I sensed that that was the tipping point.

I know for an absolute fact that Jeff came back to campus after the Cleveland State loss. I sat next to him in class. He finished the semester and took his exams. You got some really bad info on that one...

Man, does anybody who has ever been somewhat sympathetic to Jeff [Redacted] have any of their facts straight?

Hasn't this inaccuracy already been corrected in previous threads?

Last edited:
" Originally Posted by Liquid Karma
Says the person who claims Dave Odom kidnapped a coed."

And the event was confirmed by Chrisl68...but don't be bothered with that.

jaybone wants so much to be right about Buzz, so that he can claim to know more than everyone else, that he's willing to make himself look like an utter fool for the .0000000000000000001% chance that Bz becomes wildly successful.

So, what you're saying is that you didn't substantiate your claim...but someone else did?

If you can't substantiate your accusation, you should shut up.

Still waiting on that video...

jaybone wants so much to be right about Buzz, so that he can claim to know more than everyone else, that he's willing to make himself look like an utter fool for the .0000000000000000001% chance that Bz becomes wildly successful.

Not at all. I said I was wrong on Bzd in the off season. I just decided to make a conscious choice to be full-on in this year because I was excited about all the freshman. Root for the team. I couldn't figure a way to do that and root against Bzd. So I set up a very high bar to reach for the year without any idea what kind of team we'd put out on the court.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.

As for Teague, I sincerely apologize. Maybe Teague didn't come back on the plane/bus. Don't know what the story is then. And I was and continue to be a big Teague fan. I waxed on and on on the boards about how I thought he was going to make an excellent pro and he's close.

But you eyeball our team today and the one from three years ago and there are some things that indicate the cultural change thing was more than just bullshit out of the ADs mouth to cover his disdain for a guy he wanted to fire.

But you eyeball our team today and the one from three years ago and there are some things that indicate the cultural change thing was more than just bullshit out of the ADs mouth to cover his disdain for a guy he wanted to fire.

You wrote this purposefully for gaybone, didn't you?

The teams are different, but Dino, Skip, and Dave all managed to win with guys who had character issues. That's my takeaway, rather than some abstract, frankly stupid, notion of culture.

Jeff [Redacted] is not a coach interested in, in the same way that Skip was (for instance), in being a mentor and a role model. You know, that's fine. Some coaches are like that.

There are legit exceptions: Melvin was a thief and Ari was a dick, but that's it.

Jeff [Redacted] is just a baby who literally cannot be mediocre unless everything is as he wants it. And the sad part is that's exactly how it is: the guy has literally not won without dismantling entire programs or winning with a talented team of veteran servicemen, all recruited by the previous coaching staff.

I don't think so. Compare the chill Duncan teams with the one from bzd's first year. The cp3 jgray and big e teams from bzd's first year.

Maybe I am wrong but we have had a lot of embarrassing off the court stuff theu bzd's first year and them it stopped and hasn't returned. We had bad chemistry. Our chemistry is pretty good now. And we have the fewest tatoos in div 1 ;-)

I don't think so. Compare the chill Duncan teams with the one from bzd's first year. The cp3 jgray and big e teams from bzd's first year.

Maybe I am wrong but we have had a lot of embarrassing off the court stuff theu bzd's first year and them it stopped and hasn't returned. We had bad chemistry. Our chemistry is pretty good now. And we have the fewest tatoos in div 1 ;-)

I don't think you're in a position to rate our chemistry, past or present (neither am I). The team was bad enough on the court without psychoanalysis.

Dave Odom kidnapped a coed? The hell?

In response to the first post of the thread...I believe that there is a fairly large difference in decisions that take place in the heat of the moment on-the-court, and things off the court as well.

I don't think you're in a position to rate our chemistry, past or present (neither am I). The team was bad enough on the court without psychoanalysis.

I respectfully think that's bullshit. I am in a fine position to opine on our team chemistry. It's on the court. I am not in a position to comment o bzd personal relationship with his players

I think you are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing. There is no psychoanalysis. I have been known to over reach in channeling wellman. Maybe you mean that as far as culture change blah blah blah

I think the culture change Wellman was thinking about was the seeming lack of desire from some of our NBA bound players when the season started to go downhill. He probably saw Hoosiers for the fifth time on TNT and equated Bzz with Gene Hackman. I don't think the Bzz choice was difficult for him at all. He was certain Bzz was going to come in, chase off the malcontents, run the kids around some chairs, insist on three passes before a shot and viola... we are in the final four.

I respectfully think that's bullshit. I am in a fine position to opine on our team chemistry. It's on the court. I am not in a position to comment o bzd personal relationship with his players

I think you are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing. There is no psychoanalysis. I have been known to over reach in channeling wellman. Maybe you mean that as far as culture change blah blah blah

Yeah, you've just got a biased opinion based on relatively meaningless subjective data gathered in a unscientific manner that just so happens to support a hypothesis you most likely would believe anyway. You certainly have the right to that opinion, but it's a worthless opinion.

The "culture change" was manufactured after the concrete goal of post-season success was shown to be ridiculous in light of Bzzz's complete and appalling lack of success in that arena. Basically, RW scrambles to cover his butt and tries to sell the phony notion that we didn't really change coaches to achieve more post-season success, we changed to achieve a culture change -- and sadly, folks, he's explained that's gonna time time. Yeah, a long, long time of sucking.

Ronnie didn't like Dino so he fires him and hires his old buddy, Bz.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, you've just got a biased opinion based on relatively meaningless subjective data gathered in a unscientific manner that just so happens to support a hypothesis you most likely would believe anyway. You certainly have the right to that opinion, but it's a worthless opinion.

Then all opinions are worthless. You opinion of my opinion is worthless. But thanks for clarifying. I get where you are coming from, the dickishneas angle. Or the "you suck" argument

Back