• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I'm not cutting the cord but want to get my own router for Spectrum. My wife just upgraded us to Spectrum Internet Ultra. It looks like and extra $20 per month to get "up to" 500 mbps. We have an upper floor and finished basement with spotty coverage (router on main floor) so I want to get a Mesh system (currently looking at the TP-Link Deco AX3000). If I do this my question is this: Is the 500 mbps coming from the street to my modem or is the router generating that speed? If I swap out the Spectrum Wifi router with a new one does my speed bump down too? I'd like to keep the new router below $200.
Yes, I'm old.
Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

I'm not cutting the cord but want to get my own router for Spectrum. My wife just upgraded us to Spectrum Internet Ultra. It looks like and extra $20 per month to get "up to" 500 mbps. We have an upper floor and finished basement with spotty coverage (router on main floor) so I want to get a Mesh system (currently looking at the TP-Link Deco AX3000). If I do this my question is this: Is the 500 mbps coming from the street to my modem or is the router generating that speed? If I swap out the Spectrum Wifi router with a new one does my speed bump down too? I'd like to keep the new router below $200.
Yes, I'm old.

We use the Spectrum Router and have a Google Nest system. It works just great for everything that we need.

Our Spectrum Router covers our whole home easily including upstairs and outside. I guess I don't have a Cav-sized mansion but I'd just try the router first and see if you need anything else.

Yes, I'm old.
Speed is set on the modem. As long as the router you plug into the modem can handle the max speed it doesn't matter where you get it.

That said, unless you want the upload speed boost ultra at 500 is probably indistinguishable from regular tier at 400.

Typically, one of them is a little different and serves as the router. This set looks like 3 identical satellites and one auto-detects that it's plugged into the WAN uplink and acts as the router.
I think your right this video shows just plugging into the modem.

Modem: Converts noise in cable/wires/whatever to internet packets, gets just one public address
Router/Mesh: Organizes the dozens of internet-needy gadgets in your house by giving them private addresses over WiFi channels and tracking all the data paths through the modem's single address.

Confusing the issue: Most cable providers give you a combo unit that does both. Replacing it usually means improving the (usually crappy) router part of it but still using the modem part of it (since it could be Cable, DSL, Fiber, Cellular, etc). Some cable providers let you also replace the modem, which can give shockingly better performance by itself because of how old the tech is in the rented modems managed by the cable companies. Plus you can then return the whole rented combo modem/router (which when I gave back mine was $15/month, insanity since it was worth less than $50).

Potentially Confusing: Some combo modem/routers need to be switched to "gateway mode" to only serve as a modem. Others work but you should turn off the wifi since it'll potentially interfere with the new wifi plus it's confusing. This is where Fiber is nice since most fiber setups include the modem portion and just have an ethernet cable to plug directly into whatever router you want.

Good article about how streaming won't save live sports. I'll post this on the conference realignment thread too.
The Pac-12 is nearing dire straits right now. There’s no other way to put it. The New York Post’s report Tuesday that Apple TV+ is a potential landing spot for Pac-12 sports landed like a lead balloon among fans, and for understandable reasons.

It doesn’t mean the league is about to fall apart or that it can’t still secure a good enough TV deal for the short-term future. It will probably be OK. But the Pac-12 may be the canary in the coal mine for college conferences outside what is becoming the Power 2 of the Big Ten and SEC.

Streaming won’t be the answer to saving college football as we know it. We know this because streaming isn’t saving TV.

If you’re not the NFL, Big Ten, SEC, NBA, CFP, World Series or the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, your negotiating leverage may begin to fade as the biggest leagues take up more.

And that’s the dirty not-so-secret about streaming: It’s not actually working. The boom is over.

Disney’s direct-to-consumer business — which includes Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu — lost more than $4 billion in 2022. The financial losses continue to climb even as subscribers grow. It’s a big reason Disney stock is down 31 percent over the past year. NBCUniversal’s Peacock lost around $2.5 billion for the year, and CBS’ Paramount Plus also lost around $1.8 billion. These companies planned to lose lots of money and aimed for profitability by 2024 or 2025, but there is little sign of that yet. Dramatic cuts have come across the board.

Fox’s decision not to jump into the standalone streaming game and instead focus on the biggest live sports like the NFL, college football and the World Cup, has proven to be a more successful strategy thus far. It has increased its market share in college football, and despite the loss of cable subscribers, this year’s Super Bowl on Fox was the third-most-watched game ever and the highest in six years. As Fox Sports CEO Eric Shanks put it on a Sports Business Journal podcast, speeding up into streaming also speeds up the decline of linear TV, your actual money-maker.

While more games than ever are available to watch — a certain positive for fans — all of this doesn’t even touch on how cumbersome it is to watch live sports on streaming. Broadcast delays lag behind social media and betting sites. Some can’t pause or rewind. Switching between games can be a hassle and an even more frustrating process if you have to switch to another app.

On a busy college football Saturday, will casual fans who use one screen flip back and forth to Prime Video or Apple TV+ for one Pac-12 game if their favorite team isn’t involved? If conferences move into different streaming apps, the sport will be even more fractured.

“No one streaming sports service can fulfill what a sports fan needs,” Shanks said.

The Pac-12 may still come out of this OK. It might sign a good enough deal with ESPN and a streamer and provide schools with money similar to the Big 12. Linear TV for sports is still in a good place. But the next round of college media deals in six or seven years is the moment when industry leaders believe major change will truly come. I dread the future of conference realignment, but if you’re not in the Power 2, it’s impossible to predict where you’ll be as the top conferences take an even larger market share.

one thing that will blow if things like college conferences go to different streaming apps: you can't flip between the games easily. like on a college football Saturday if there are games on Apple, Peacock, cable (YTTV), and Amazon.

No one's switching between apps. They're just watching one on a TV and another on their phone/ipad

On a college football Saturday when Wake isn't playing, I'm switching between games on YouTubeTV on my TV and switching between games on YouTubeTV on my tablet. The only way I'd watch a Pac-12 game on Apple or Amazon is if it's a late-night game with a ranked team.

I think the issue is that in the cable era, sports networks captured fees from all cable subscribers, even if they didn’t care about sports. So they assumed that the audience was all cable subscribers. Once people actually have to seek out sports and can’t just put it on Casually in the background, they are finding the audience is a lot smaller

Definitely. As is the case for many forms of entertainment, there is a large passionate fanbase but not enough to support the enterprise without the economic structure around it.

That's what I love about YTTV. During football season I can easily switch between all the games that are on.

Back