• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Bitch Slaps Buzz

Why? Do you go around bashing people in the face with clubs? Dick move if you ask me.

Not exactly. My username just sort of spells it out.

That's a hell of a random question

Our talent level is higher than BCs and we are more experienced. They improve game by game for the most part. We get worse game by game for the most part.

Make sense of that, please. And try to come up with a reason that isn't directly related to the two head coaches.

We are NOT getting worse. We hit the really hard part of our schedule. @Dook, UNC, @State, FSU, @Va. I think I am missing one, but that is a 4/5 games against Top 20 teams, and a game on the road vs State who has a lot of talent and Gottfired is finally getting it together. Lunardi has them in the NCAA's now. And Ty got a concussion against FSU. Top 20 teams should definitely blow us out this year. Seriously, could anyone on our team start for UNC or Dook or FSU? Let's not even talk about benches and depth.

I think the message for the team is forget those games. Hoped we could have pulled out one win (We had a shot vs FSU until our only post presence got knocked out), but we were badly outclassed. But most of the rest are winnable, and there better be 100% effort. That is what is disturbing me about Buzz is how we get away with lack of effort. One of the reasons I wanted Dino out. Thought our effort nost nights was subpar, except against DOOk and NC. VT after a #1 ranking and Miami in the ACCT and Cleveland St were utterly incomprehensible, and were the norm for Dino's teams. I'm getting a very bad taste in my mouth with some of the crappy efforts this year.

It's a floor effect: when you're this bad, it's hard to get much worse. The other teams walk-ons seem to be coming out earlier and earlier, and that's certainly not a sign that we're getting better.

Dead cat bounce.

... That is rough. Not only is it rough, but the talent gap between us and the top half of the league is VERY wide. But it will be significantly decreased, we think, in the next 2 years.

That means if we go ahead and correct the "coaching gap" we will have something to look forward to!

BuzzOut - till he's gone...

We are NOT getting worse.

Adjusting for the strength of schedule for the offense and defense that we've played and using a comparative basis to the rest of the nation (who presumably on average improves as the season goes on) Wake is in fact getting worse.

We reached the high point of our year ranking-wise according to KenPom in the second game of the year (143). We sat at 167 entering the VPI game and conference season, and are currently at 204.

Wake has dropped 37 spots since the conference season started, VPI is second having dropped 33 spots.

Interestingly enough 5 teams have improved since the conference season started (Maryland, Miami, Boston College, Virginia, Florida State), 3 have basically stayed the same with slight drops (UNC, Duke, State), and the other four have dropped pretty badly (Wake, Georgia Tech, VPI, and Clemson)

We are "in fact getting worse" because of a computer?!?!?! Not buying.

The bottom line is we suck this year, period. A computer is going to see you lose 6 in a row and drop you, period, even if every loss was against a top 20 team.

And yes, the other team's walkons are coming out earlier because we are in the very toughest part of our schedule. If Buzz can't get us to play competitively against the GT's of the world from here on out, and we go in the tank, then I'll go Buzzout. I'm not judging our year and performance on the last 3 weeks. Anyone who knows anything about basketball would look at our players and the teams we played and say, "man, Wake's gonna get killed."

Not true, we could have lost every one of these games and moved up in the rankings.

We dropped because we lost 5 double digit games and got blown out 2 or 3 times.

We are NOT getting worse. We hit the really hard part of our schedule. @Dook, UNC, @State, FSU, @Va. I think I am missing one, but that is a 4/5 games against Top 20 teams, and a game on the road vs State who has a lot of talent and Gottfired is finally getting it together. Lunardi has them in the NCAA's now. And Ty got a concussion against FSU. Top 20 teams should definitely blow us out this year. Seriously, could anyone on our team start for UNC or Dook or FSU? Let's not even talk about benches and depth.

I think the message for the team is forget those games. Hoped we could have pulled out one win (We had a shot vs FSU until our only post presence got knocked out), but we were badly outclassed. But most of the rest are winnable, and there better be 100% effort. That is what is disturbing me about Buzz is how we get away with lack of effort. One of the reasons I wanted Dino out. Thought our effort nost nights was subpar, except against DOOk and NC. VT after a #1 ranking and Miami in the ACCT and Cleveland St were utterly incomprehensible, and were the norm for Dino's teams. I'm getting a very bad taste in my mouth with some of the crappy efforts this year.

We aren't improving either

Not true, we could have lost every one of these games and moved up in the rankings.

We dropped because we lost 5 double digit games and got blown out 2 or 3 times.

You are right. If we had lost at Dook and at home to NC by single digits, yes we would have moved up. But you have to be a top 25 caliber team to do that, and we aren't. While I think maybe KenPom has his computer geared to giving you some kudos for losing by 2 @ #6, I don't think the #150 team should lose grounnd by losing the games we lost by the margins we lost them. But we did. And I don't agree with it. Cite computer stats all day, but I don't think we are a "worse" team now because what should have happened happened when #150 plays @#6, #4, #17, @State and @#20. The only game I was disappointed in was the Va game since I thought we did not play as well as we should have. Even then, the margin wasn't too bad. I wonder if the computers can determine that we really lost by 40 to Va except the scrubs came in with 10 minutes to play. I'm not buying it.

Yeah, tell that to BC, who beat FSU at home and lost to State at home by 5.

Here we are going through getting blown out every night while BC has figured out a way to remain fairly competitive with worse talent than we have.

Last edited:
We are "in fact getting worse" because of a computer?!?!?! Not buying.

Are we a better team than we were at the start of the season? Perhaps. Have we improved at the same rate as other teams around the country? Not even close. Improvement happens despite a coach just by being in the gym and practicing. That's not the sort of improvement you should be excited about.

Relative to the rest of the country, I certainly think we are worse team now than when the season started.

You are right. If we had lost at Dook and at home to NC by single digits, yes we would have moved up. But you have to be a top 25 caliber team to do that, and we aren't.

Georgia Tech lost to dook by 7 and at Carolina by 12. They're just a hair away from being a top 25 team!

Yeah, tell that to BC, who beat FSU at home and lost to State at home by 5.

Here we are going through getting blown out every night while BC has figured out a way to remain fairly competitive with worse talent than we have.

This is the point that makes most sense to me. We have regressed while other teams with worse talent at least stay close in games against good teams. That is a sign of poor coaching, not deficient talent. Bzz just simply cannot motivate players to outperform and he can't gameplan to keep games close. But then again, we knew this about Bzzz from his past coaching failures so no surprise here. BC's coach was a big success in the Ivy League before coming to BC -- perhaps we could get Amaker to come back to the ACC?

Back