• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Bitch Slaps Buzz

The completely irrational levels the [Redacted]-defenders are now attempting to sink to are quite comical. I don't believe they even think what they are saying holds much water anymore.

This is the point that makes most sense to me. We have regressed while other teams with worse talent at least stay close in games against good teams. That is a sign of poor coaching, not deficient talent. Bzz just simply cannot motivate players to outperform and he can't gameplan to keep games close. But then again, we knew this about Bzzz from his past coaching failures so no surprise here. BC's coach was a big success in the Ivy League before coming to BC -- perhaps we could get Amaker to come back to the ACC?

We were playing FSU very well until our only inside presence got a concussion.

Question to the guys saying we aren't getting worse:

Do you watch our basketball games?

Last edited:
You are right. If we had lost at Dook and at home to NC by single digits, yes we would have moved up. But you have to be a top 25 caliber team to do that, and we aren't. While I think maybe KenPom has his computer geared to giving you some kudos for losing by 2 @ #6, I don't think the #150 team should lose grounnd by losing the games we lost by the margins we lost them. But we did. And I don't agree with it. Cite computer stats all day, but I don't think we are a "worse" team now because what should have happened happened when #150 plays @#6, #4, #17, @State and @#20. The only game I was disappointed in was the Va game since I thought we did not play as well as we should have. Even then, the margin wasn't too bad. I wonder if the computers can determine that we really lost by 40 to Va except the scrubs came in with 10 minutes to play. I'm not buying it.

You don't understand how the system works, it moves teams up and down based on how many points they give up and score per possession adjusting for the difficulty of the strength of schedule which is also based on these adjusted numbers. It has nothing to do with winning or losing at all.

We simply cannot matchup with Dook, NC, and FSU. We can't. Accept that ths year. I think the Buzzouts tend to blame everything on coaching. And the fact is there is a significant talent gap right now. I also expected we would have trouble down the stretch given how thin our bench is and how many minutes Travis, CJ and TC are playing.

I think anyone who looks at our talent and compares it to NC, Dook, and FSU, has to say we simply do not match up competitively with them. That being said, I do expect much better showings here at the end of the season against Clemson at home, GT twice, BC at home and Miami. I think we ought to win at least 2 of those games and be competitive in all, and I will definitely be very unhappy with the coaching and players if we don't show something more than we saw vs Va and NCSt at home. To me, that last stretch was a throwaway set of games. We just didn;t have much chance given the lopsided personnel disadvantages. The next 3 weeks is where I'll judge this team and coaching performance.

Mark it down, I will move to Buzzout if are not competitive and win a couple games from here on out. The ACC is down, the schedule is in our favor for the rest of 2012, and then next year we've got lots of reinforcements and another year of maturity from our nucleus. We've had a lot of reasons for poor performance over the last year and a half, and I know it has been tough mentally and physically on the players. To me, now is the time to see something, to see some pride and full effort. If I am a player, I have to say to myself, we will not be a doormat any longer, and from here on out, there are lots of winnable games, and I am going to do anything I have to do to win. And we have every right to expect it to pick up dramatically next year, or Buzz and some players need to play and coach elsewhere. I'm not going to heap expectations on freshmen, but with our nucleus and depth, if we get anything out of the freshmen, we should be .500 in the ACC and in the NIT. Saying that, I thinnk I am probably heaping some on CMM as I think he takes over at point and plays really well.

lol 88 does not understand advanced stats and metrics at all.

We simply cannot matchup with Dook, NC, and FSU. We can't. Accept that ths year. I think the Buzzouts tend to blame everything on coaching. And the fact is there is a significant talent gap right now. I also expected we would have trouble down the stretch given how thin our bench is and how many minutes Travis, CJ and TC are playing.

I think anyone who looks at our talent and compares it to NC, Dook, and FSU, has to say we simply do not match up competitively with them. That being said, I do expect much better showings here at the end of the season against Clemson at home, GT twice, BC at home and Miami. I think we ought to win at least 2 of those games and be competitive in all, and I will definitely be very unhappy with the coaching and players if we don't show something more than we saw vs Va and NCSt at home. To me, that last stretch was a throwaway set of games. We just didn;t have much chance given the lopsided personnel disadvantages. The next 3 weeks is where I'll judge this team and coaching performance.

Mark it down, I will move to Buzzout if are not competitive and win a couple games from here on out. The ACC is down, the schedule is in our favor for the rest of 2012, and then next year we've got lots of reinforcements and another year of maturity from our nucleus. We've had a lot of reasons for poor performance over the last year and a half, and I know it has been tough mentally and physically on the players. To me, now is the time to see something, to see some pride and full effort. If I am a player, I have to say to myself, we will not be a doormat any longer, and from here on out, there are lots of winnable games, and I am going to do anything I have to do to win. And we have every right to expect it to pick up dramatically next year, or Buzz and some players need to play and coach elsewhere. I'm not going to heap expectations on freshmen, but with our nucleus and depth, if we get anything out of the freshmen, we should be .500 in the ACC and in the NIT. Saying that, I thinnk I am probably heaping some on CMM as I think he takes over at point and plays really well.

head-in-the-sand.jpg

I understand all of what you're saying and I get it, I really do. The point of these advanced metrics is to project what is a reasonable base level moving forward. For example we were supposed to lose to UVA something like 64-48 or something bad like that. We were completely blown out, down 40-19 (the equivalent of a UNC type team scoring 55 points in a half) and were completely disinterested from everything I've heard and read about the game.

Just because we're supposed to lose these games does not mean all losses are the same. Losing like we did to UNC was a positive in my opinion. We were in the game, we were competitive, and we had a chance if we had knocked down some shots, gotten a couple more bounces our way, and not been bent over by the refs. Losing like we did to State in the first meeting, against a good UVA team last week, and like the second half against FSU is more problematic in that it reveals a much wider and deeper systemic problem in that these lapses continue to occur as the season goes on.

Like I said earlier, Boston College as bad as they are, are improving. They are clearly getting better on the defensive end and without really any athleticism on the team whatsoever and with 9 freshmen are 6th in the conference in defense. Wake is dead fucking last. We have no scheme on defense, we have no coaching on getting guys through screens, and we're completely inept at forcing offenses to really do anything other than slightly slow the game down. Wake is NOT improving. We were supposed to struggle more as the season went on, but based on what we saw in the non-conference season and based on the metrics we should be losing by much closer margins. [Redacted] is being outcoached by Donahue, someone that nearly everyone on here ridiculed for the first two months of the season.

Think about that. Seriously, I'm not patronizing you. Think about this: BC has 9 freshmen, less experience than us, less athleticism than us, considerably less talent than us and has 3 conference wins including a win against who was at the time the league leader. Wake has only been competitive, let me repeat COMPETITIVE, in our two wins (a dominant performance over BC in Boston which should truly show how much better than them we are) the loss against Maryland, and for portions of the UNC game. That's it. We have had no shot to pull of a big upset, no chance to win a game at the end, and no chance to do anything.

#Bzzout he sucks.

Yes, Steve Donahue has had 3 wins at BC and 2 single digit losses. In a couple of their double digit losses, than games have been close late.

Their worst loss was 23 points at UNC.

Isn't this part of coaching? Bringing in and developing talent that can compete?

Yes. His first year was rough, but his second recruiting class looks great. Jury is out on Buzz's ability to recruit good players.

I understand all of what you're saying and I get it, I really do. The point of these advanced metrics is to project what is a reasonable base level moving forward. For example we were supposed to lose to UVA something like 64-48 or something bad like that. We were completely blown out, down 40-19 (the equivalent of a UNC type team scoring 55 points in a half) and were completely disinterested from everything I've heard and read about the game.

Just because we're supposed to lose these games does not mean all losses are the same. Losing like we did to UNC was a positive in my opinion. We were in the game, we were competitive, and we had a chance if we had knocked down some shots, gotten a couple more bounces our way, and not been bent over by the refs. Losing like we did to State in the first meeting, against a good UVA team last week, and like the second half against FSU is more problematic in that it reveals a much wider and deeper systemic problem in that these lapses continue to occur as the season goes on.

Like I said earlier, Boston College as bad as they are, are improving. They are clearly getting better on the defensive end and without really any athleticism on the team whatsoever and with 9 freshmen are 6th in the conference in defense. Wake is dead fucking last. We have no scheme on defense, we have no coaching on getting guys through screens, and we're completely inept at forcing offenses to really do anything other than slightly slow the game down. Wake is NOT improving. We were supposed to struggle more as the season went on, but based on what we saw in the non-conference season and based on the metrics we should be losing by much closer margins. [Redacted] is being outcoached by Donahue, someone that nearly everyone on here ridiculed for the first two months of the season.

Think about that. Seriously, I'm not patronizing you. Think about this: BC has 9 freshmen, less experience than us, less athleticism than us, considerably less talent than us and has 3 conference wins including a win against who was at the time the league leader. Wake has only been competitive, let me repeat COMPETITIVE, in our two wins (a dominant performance over BC in Boston which should truly show how much better than them we are) the loss against Maryland, and for portions of the UNC game. That's it. We have had no shot to pull of a big upset, no chance to win a game at the end, and no chance to do anything.

#Bzzout he sucks.

Thanks for the civil discussion. Believe me, I get that things have been bad, but it has really been an impossible situation for anyone to win as a coach here the last year and a half. Having seen BC play, I have no idea how they could beat FSU, but I have no idea how FSU got blown out by Clemson, blew out NC and were being challenged by us until we lost Ty. FSU makes no sense. I completely admit I have no idea how Ken Pom figures stuff out. I don't think any statistics you could put in a computer could predict FSU's season, or anyone else's, so I don't pay attention.

I also just don't think you can upset anyone if you can't control your defensive glass, and don't have a trustworthy PG. If you can handle the ball and not give up offensive boards, if the opponent has an off shooting night, upsets can very easily happen. We just can't man up in the paint, and TC is just not a very good PG right now. You can't overcome those things against superior talent.

Anyway, again, I get things have sucked, but a lot of that was an impossible situation and some people have had unrealistic expecations. We are much better than last year, and Buzz got us a very good class coming in. Just give it one more year. If we aren't .500 in the ACC next year and playing in March, I'm done with Buzz. That is long enough. We've got a strong group of kids coming in who believe in Buzz and the guys coming back. Give it a chance and see what happens.

Last edited:
PS-I saw the first 25 minutes of the Va game. It was horrific. I would not call it disinterested, but I think a lot of guys have zero confidence now. for some of our guys, they should have zero confidence against a top 20 team, and VA is a legit top 20 team. And some folks in C'ville were wanting Bennett gone after last year. Amazing how great a coach you become when you get some players and get your star back. I think a lot of our guys now are quiet, soft types frankly. I think the guys next year are coming in with some attitude. We sorely lack that. That a guy like TC, a sophomore, who isn't that good is team captain, mainly because of his mental toughness speaks volumes. You don't measure lack a toughness and attitude in a computer. I don't think you teach that. You are either a bad ass or you arent. We aren't.

Anyway, thanks for the civil discussion.

"Bad asses" or "socks"? Which one do we actually want?

Back