• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, we have lost to Drake & Liberty. We haven’t made the field of 64 in 7 years. And we are Wake Forest. And you’re talking shit about little UNCG? UNCG won their league last year. We last did that 22 years ago. We are such a dumb ass fan base.

Josh Howard’s senior year, we won the regular season. 2002?

UNC-G lost...and winning a podunk conference when you come in the second division three times in five years is not something to hang your hat on.

Serious question - not directed at DR because I don’t want another idiotic rant to derail the thread - has Miller been seriously considered for any open head coaching positions in a P5 (or 6) conference over the last couple years? There have been plenty of openings.

I can't remember hearing his name associated with an interview at a P6 school.

Serious question - not directed at DR because I don’t want another idiotic rant to derail the thread - has Miller been seriously considered for any open head coaching positions in a P5 (or 6) conference over the last couple years? There have been plenty of openings.

No one should consider him besides us at this point. That’s the whole point. We are his destination job. Like Russell Turner, this would be his last stop if he wins.

Keep up the hating. I agree Wrangor. We are fully staked out. I got Miller. You got Manning. See you in 2025.

Actually see you in 2017. Miller has UNCG as 5 point dogs at Wake and covered? UNCG as 5 point dogs at Wake? That pretty much is what it is.

Last edited:
A short history lesson. DR 'a lust for this young coach reminds me of a time toward the end of the Carl Tacy years. Appalachian State had hired who I think was the youngest college coach at that time. Many of us wanted to fire the hit and miss Tacy and hire this coach. His name was Bobby Cremins. A few years later he goes to GT, we got Bob Staak and ended up in Basketball Siberia. I am not suggesting in any way we need to dump Manning at this point....Just an interesting story on the current subject. Tacy was a pretty good x and o coach, who could not sustain high level recruiting. Manning seems to have recruiting down and this year is going to say a lot about his in game coaching. Interesting times.

Didn't know about Cremins' time at App. He was hired at 27. Started at Tech at 33. He was only 53 when he left Tech. He always seemed much older.

Didn't know about Cremins' time at App. He was hired at 27. Started at Tech at 33. He was only 53 when he left Tech. He always seemed much older.

Lead App to what I imagine is still their best season in school history on the late 70s and won 3 regular season titles or co-titles.

No one should consider him besides us at this point. That’s the whole point. We are his destination job. Like Russell Turner, this would be his last stop if he wins.

Keep up the hating. I agree Wrangor. We are fully staked out. I got Miller. You got Manning. See you in 2025.

Actually see you in 2017. Miller has UNCG as 5 point dogs at Wake and covered? UNCG as 5 point dogs at Wake? That pretty much is what it is.

As someone else pointed out, your moronic over exaggerations don't help your arguments.........AT ALL.

Last edited:
Exactly right Mack. Hindsight is 20/20 of course. But surely we can all agree in hindsight doing whatever necessary to get the smart young coach on our sideline was the right play. Once he was gone, he was gone.

On a separate note (kind of), why does Manning spend half of timeouts asking officials whether the in bounder can run the baseline? Do the rules of basketball change? Why not just learn the rules so we don’t waste precious timeout time asking silly questions?

Wellman tried to get the "young coach" w/ Michael White & was turned down. I don't think it was in Wake's best interest to continue pursuing less successful options due to their date of birth. I think Manning will find success at Wake. Second straight year with a top 20 offense, he just has to figure out how to balance it out on the other side of the court.
If Crawford is going to stick around we can't ignore the potential of a Crawford, Woods, Brown, Hoard, Moore lineup with Sarr, Mucius, Mitchell, & Chill coming off the bench.

For a good lawyer your understanding of nuance is severely lacking. I like Miller, in fact I think he is a really good young coach. I have a very close friend who is one of his assistant coaches and there is nothing more I would like to see than Miller and his staff have success.

My point about not judging based on a game was made to support that Miller is a good coach despite his teams miserable second half against a sub par opponent. I think in 5-10 years Miller will be coaching a power conference job. It might be Wake.

What I do not agree with is that Miller being a good young coach and Manning being right for the Wake job now are mutually exclusive. Manning is going to be a good and potentially excellent coach for Wake in my opinion. His development and recruiting prowess are already beginning to pay huge dividends. Give him another 2-3 years and we will be loaded with talent. I expect us to be a top 25 team in a regular basis at that point.

We aren’t a great team this year due to frontcourt losses. Next year we will be an NCAA tournament team in my opinion. If we continue to build on the 18 class with some of the 19 names we are listed with, then we will be even better the following year.

We disagree on ‘18 & ‘19. I say we won’t make the field of 64 with Manning. Hope I’m wrong.

If you are a #11 seed, you are in the Top 64 for the NCAAT.

I'm glad we went to the tournament last year. Heck, I was one of about 50 Wake people to go. But last year was not a good year. We need a winning ACC record, a round of 64 or 32, and a real win in the ACC tournament to have what should be an average good year for us. They sold last year as "progress" and "we can build on that." I was ok with that. It wasn't good but it was progress. Turns out we built on nothing and now we have the same trash heap.

What does this mean? What’s the metric?

NCAA tourney wins, appearances, ACC wins, ACC championships, P5 wins, P5 championships? I’ll take Manning in all of those between now and 2025.

I'm glad we went to the tournament last year. Heck, I was one of about 50 Wake people to go. But last year was not a good year. We need a winning ACC record, a round of 64 or 32, and a real win in the ACC tournament to have what should be an average good year for us. They sold last year as "progress" and "we can build on that." I was ok with that. It wasn't good but it was progress. Turns out we built on nothing and now we have the same trash heap.

Here are the NCAA tournament records of our coaches since Odom:

Odom: 10-8 in 12 years
Skip: 5-4 in 6 years
Dino: 1-2 in 3 years

I think we all agree that Manning deserved at least two years to clean up [Redacted]’s mess without any expectations in the W/L column. I am confident that counting from last year Manning will win more than 5 NCAA tourney games in 6 years.

This thread is so fucking stupid. Y’all are essentially complaining because Manning is too good at developing big men. Imagine if Collins and Dinos had been slightly worse last year. We lose a couple more games, miss the tournament, they blow up this year and we are 11-0 and in the top 25.

Chill the fuck out, take the long view, and enjoy it when we play well.

Back