• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I'm glad we went to the tournament last year. Heck, I was one of about 50 Wake people to go. But last year was not a good year. We need a winning ACC record, a round of 64 or 32, and a real win in the ACC tournament to have what should be an average good year for us. They sold last year as "progress" and "we can build on that." I was ok with that. It wasn't good but it was progress. Turns out we built on nothing and now we have the same trash heap.

Last year put us back on the map. That makes it a good year.

But then again, you think a guy who has finished in the second division of a crap conference for a majority of his career is a combination of Wooden, Knight and Izzo.

Last year put us back on the map. That makes it a good year.

But then again, you think a guy who has finished in the second division of a crap conference for a majority of his career is a combination of Wooden, Knight and Izzo.

Great examples. Hired by UCLA, Indiana, & Michigan State at ages 31, 37, & 39 respectively. All with less success. Smart decisions by those schools. Paid off big for decades.

Great examples. Hired by UCLA, Indiana, & Michigan State at ages 31, 37, & 39 respectively. All with less success. Smart decisions by those schools. Paid off big for decades.

Izzo followed a coach who won a national championship.

Back to Manning with Dinos we likely are 11-0 and in the top 25. Rough start to season on Danny. Makes the Vols a big game if we want to get to a post season tourney.

BUT they hadn't been failures at their previous jobs.

Knight had taken Army to the NIT semis three times in six years at Army. When Knight was at Army, only conference champions got into the NCAA. The NIT was a great tourney.

Wooden had been 44-15 in his two years at Indiana State. This included taking his team to the national championship game in their division.

Izzo had been groomed for years at a Michigan State.

Now compare that to Wes Miller. In Wes' first five years at UNC-G, his teams came in the second division of a crap conference three times. He had FAILED in 60% of his career.

About the only things he has in common with them is being white, a college bball coach and his age. You are preoccupied with his age more than his lack of accomplishment.

If it's about age, let's hire strickland or townie.

Just so we are clear, even if Wes Miller turns out to be a great coach it would have been grossly negligent for Ron Wellman to have hired him after Gaudio was let go given his resume at the time.

Just so we are clear, even if Wes Miller turns out to be a great coach it would have been grossly negligent for Ron Wellman to have hired him after Gaudio or after BZZZZ was let go given his resume at the time.

FIFY

Back to Manning with Dinos we likely are 11-0 and in the top 25. Rough start to season on Danny. Makes the Vols a big game if we want to get to a post season tourney.

Dinos would have helped no doubt, but I don't think he would have cured all the Deac's early season woes post Collins.

Wooden was 38 and had a .745 winning percentage in 2 seasons before starting at UCLA.

Knight was 31 and had a .671 winning percentage in 6 seasons before starting at IU.

Izzy was 39 and took over for a Judd Heathcoate after 12 years as an assistant. MSU had a .618 winning percentage with Izzo on the bench.

Wes Miller is 34 and has a .467 winning percentage in 5 1/2 seasons. For comparison, [name redacted] had a .615 winning percentage in 4 seasons before getting his first major conference gig and a .514 winning percentage in 7 total seasons before starting at Wake.

Your boy is literally worse than [name redacted].

The idea of DR and RC107 going back and forth is simultaneously horrifying and too good for words.

Speaking of Gaudio... why hasn't his name been kicked around for a mid-to-low major head coaching job?

I get that the ESPNU studio gig is on the cush side but if memory serves one of this board's founders assured us Gaudio would be back in the coaching ranks as soon as his severance package with Wake expired.

What happened??

The idea of DR and RC107 going back and forth is simultaneously horrifying and too good for words.

All RChill did was rehash what I posted earlier. He also left out pieces that reinforce their raw records.

Speaking of Gaudio... why hasn't his name been kicked around for a mid-to-low major head coaching job?

I get that the ESPNU studio gig is on the cush side but if memory serves one of this board's founders assured us Gaudio would be back in the coaching ranks as soon as his severance package with Wake expired.

What happened??

I did chuckle last night when he was covering Clemson and kept saying they were in a 2-3 zone. Never mind a defender was following his man from the block extended to the opposite elbow extended... Once ESPN fired all their big name guys and he moved up in the announcing rankings I doubt the idea of coaching some 3rd tier program seemed very enticing.

Just so we are clear, even if Wes Miller turns out to be a great coach it would have been grossly negligent for Ron Wellman to have hired him after Gaudio was let go given his resume at the time.

Here comes the damage control. Wes heading for 3rd conference season title and a big boy job. Just so we're clear, I disagree. Should have been hired both last time and time before. I don't want Wes at age 55. Too late to build a K type run.

On our 4 losses they were by an average of 6pts. With Thompson averaging 5pts. (not that it all was his fault).

Here comes the damage control. Wes heading for 3rd conference season title and a big boy job. Just so we're clear, I disagree. Should have been hired both last time and time before. I don't want Wes at age 55. Too late to build a K type run.

Thanks for clearing up any lingering confusion regarding your position on this issue.

It would have been completely asinine to hire Wes Miller given his resume. There is no "damage control".

I don't care if he does well, Wake Forest should never, ever, ever hire a coach with the resume that Miller had.

It would have been completely asinine to hire Wes Miller given his resume. There is no "damage control".

I don't care if he does well, Wake Forest should never, ever, ever hire a coach with the resume that Miller had or currently has.

FIFY

What do you think about Miami hiring Jim Larrañaga at age 62?

Back