• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas and ACC Officals

Following his logic re: Devin's rep, I think the converse is true too. K has won championships and is probably the best college basketball coach of all time. So his leash is approaching infinity in length.
The irony of course being...he got there because he knows how to tool the refs.

To be fair, he apparently kept his mouth shut during the game and it didn't help. I do agree that saying the ref had a big ego will only make it worse for him this year, because ACC refs are petty.

Oops, I accidentally deleted that post while trying to edit it and add the quote.

Does anyone remember that website where you can track referee calls/stats/etc?

I came across this article on KenPom: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/ted_valentine_hates_to_call_fouls

It is ridiculous because the research shows that Roger Ayers is the least likely ref to call a foul....unless of course Devin Thomas has 4 fouls in a tight game in which case we all know how that turns/turned out.

Anyone got a clip of the "staring contest." I didn't see it. I've never been a fan of Devin's over the top dramatics, but whatever. Based purely on my watching him for four years, he probably deserved his T. I have no problem with coaches losing their shit on the bench, but I also have no problem with them getting T'd up, either.

Answer to that question is NO! Devin set his own standard when he was a freshman. One thing players need to understand is to never ever get into a contest with showing up an official. Simple as that. A player is never ever going to win that, no matter who the player is. But given what Devin has done over his career & he gets into a stare down competition with a top notch official who is not afraid of sticking a T on a player, end of story. Now that it also counts as a personal foul and one of your 5 total fouls towards disqualification, it really hurts and players have to learn to control their emotions from the junior high level on up. He has not. And in big games it costs us because he sits on the bench like last night for key stretches of the game.
Most predictable outcome of this thread.
I really want to hear what TheReff has to say about the actions of Coach K last night towards the officials, and especially Roger Ayers.

Second most predictable (non-) outcome of this thread.

Anyone got a clip of the "staring contest." I didn't see it. I've never been a fan of Devin's over the top dramatics, but whatever. Based purely on my watching him for four years, he probably deserved his T. I have no problem with coaches losing their shit on the bench, but I also have no problem with them getting T'd up, either.

I second this request. I have a terrible habit of forgetting to DVR the games I'm covering. Thanks!

I saw the tech but I didn't see the first half, and so I missed K's histrionics. Please include a clip of that along with the events leading to the T.

I second this request. I have a terrible habit of forgetting to DVR the games I'm covering. Thanks!

Well, I found the footage on ESPN3, but it's completely worthless. It shows the replay of the personal foul 2-3 times and by the time they go back to live action Ayers is blowing his whistle for the technical foul. ESPN doesn't show what "caused" the technical, nor do they ever attempt to explain it.

the acc openly admits they call games based on team's "tendencies" so DT is f'd

Well, I found the footage on ESPN3, but it's completely worthless. It shows the replay of the personal foul 2-3 times and by the time they go back to live action Ayers is blowing his whistle for the technical foul. ESPN doesn't show what "caused" the technical, nor do they ever attempt to explain it.

Yeah the game didn't show what happened just pops back to Ayers going over to the table IIRC.

The duke guards and even ingram were consistently flinging their heads and shoulders back as they drove last night. Whether there was contact or not they were acting as if the defenders were knocking their torso's off kilter. Duke has always known how to make the officials work for them for as long as I remember, and last night was a clear example of their coaching staff making the new officiating work to their advantage. They also got away with literally dozens of foot shuffles on pass receptions around the perimeter.

Darius got a rep early on and was regularly and unfairly screwed over by the refs.

Darius' rep wasn't because he whined to refs. He got the rep when Pete Gillen called him a mangler.

I see him cuss and bitch at the refs. I've never seen him bend over and flail around like he did last night. If he does that every game, he should be kicked out of coaching IMO. That was ridiculous.

Coach+K+Pass+Out.png

Wake has always been on the short end when it comes to such calls. I stated years ago that Darius begins each game with two fouls. I forget who the call was on, but a technical was given for hanging on the rim when our player realized he was going to land on a Carolina player's head who had fallen beneath him (cost us the game). Back in the 70's Lefty would stomp on benches, Dean would be on the officials non stop (just like the rat faced, foul mouth bastard called Coach K), and Tacy would get all of the T's.

It is not a new problem. It used to be that upperclassmen would be given the benefit of the doubt. That only applies at certain schools, not Wake.

Kenard, or whatever, is the latest in future assistant coaches in the making at Duke ala Wojo. What I didn't get is how he would drive to the left, totally out of control with no where to go, but we kept bailing him out by rotating like he had a shot and allowing the dump off to Plumlee making him look all ACC. Duke has always had players that seem to be there for 6 or 7 years...how many Plumlees are there?

Back