• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dickie V not calling UNC / Duke Game

The game should be watchable then. I am trying to remember a worse national sports commentator. Coming up empty so far.

Totally agree with simos on this one. I've been sick of Vitale since I first heard his voice.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people Dick Vitale was ever good or important for college basketball.

he was actually not a bad color guy when he started, before he turned into a cartoon version of himself

Bilas calling the game? Granted, he is about as good as ESPN has, but I still wonder why they insist on having dukies call duke games. At least he stays objective.

Won't miss Vitale calling it though.

Seems like an unceremonious exit for a guy that has called that game so long. Not being super hip to what's going on with ESPN personnel, has there been any public fall out or anything?

There is no doubt that he loves Duke but he blows the goats just as much. The worst of both worlds. His "commentary" on the UNC-ch cheating that has taken place under Roy Williams has been embarrassing to say the least.

His schtick is old and the move is probably a good one, but it's a shame it creates so much animosity towards him. I probably played in over 20 summer camps or leagues growing up, and the Vitale camp I went to was one of the only ones where the big-name guy actually got involved. And by involved I mean he was there from 6am drills to 9pm games, worked with kids individually, gave speeches I can still remember, and basically redefined what the phrase "love of the game" meant to me. For all his faults (particularly his Duke love), his passion for college basketball is just obscene. I get that people are going to hate him now but there was a lot of substance there before he ended up where he is. It's kind of sad really.

Can he take Mike Patrick with him on the way out?

Vitale could be insightful when he stuck to why this happened or that did not happen. It was when he went off into one of his "PT Baby" schticks that he began grating on everyone - well, that and the fawning over certain teams and coaches. I began muting games he did several seasons back. A color guy who won't shut up is like a ref who thinks the game is about him, not the players. Both can take the fun away from watching an otherwise good game.

Last edited:
His schtick is old and the move is probably a good one, but it's a shame it creates so much animosity towards him. I probably played in over 20 summer camps or leagues growing up, and the Vitale camp I went to was one of the only ones where the big-name guy actually got involved. And by involved I mean he was there from 6am drills to 9pm games, worked with kids individually, gave speeches I can still remember, and basically redefined what the phrase "love of the game" meant to me. For all his faults (particularly his Duke love), his passion for college basketball is just obscene. I get that people are going to hate him now but there was a lot of substance there before he ended up where he is. It's kind of sad really.

let him be a camp director then

he commentates a game like your drunk friend

Vitale's worst trait is that he loves the sound of his own voice. He has a terrible habit of talking about topics that don't have anything to do with the game that he is being assigned to call. If he wants to go on rants about Coach K, UK's season, UNC's scandal, his issues with recruiting restrictions or sports that aren't College Basketball, then he should be a studio analyst as opposed to being an in-game analyst

Back