• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dickie V not calling UNC / Duke Game

Irish wrong AGAIN

fbfef5ee0a9662b24ab5093321ed7839.jpg

Indiana & Texas Tech. Bob Knight never coached at Carolina. (Though if he became the UNC coach, I would join the Rams Club. If he became the coach at NC State, I would join the Wolfpack Club....and if he became the coach at Wake Forest, I would join the Deacon Club again. :))

(This isn't rocket science.)

No it is not rocket science. But it is probably a sign of severe mental illness or latent homosexuality. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry, but Irish is correct. Tacy was a great bench coach but he was a horrible recruiter. He had the charisma of a kitchen chair. He depended on his assistants to handle the recruiting. He always took an assistant when he did an in-home, and he sat there and grinned while the assistant made the pitch. I doubt Wake has ever had a better tactician as a head coach, but he was about as exciting as chip beef on toast.

Sorry, but Irish is correct. Tacy was a great bench coach but he was a horrible recruiter. He had the charisma of a kitchen chair. He depended on his assistants to handle the recruiting. He always took an assistant when he did an in-home, and he sat there and grinned while the assistant made the pitch. I doubt Wake has ever had a better tactician as a head coach, but he was about as exciting as chip beef on toast.

He brought in some of the best players Wake has had. Brown, Griffin, Johnson, Bogues, Green. And one of the highest rated recruiting classes (Morgan, Helms, Johnstone, Rogers). If he himself wasn't a great recruiter, he was smart enough to entrust it to those who were.

Wake Forest retired jerseys:
1.Hemric (recruited by Greeson)
2.Chappell (recruited by McKinney)
3.Davis (recruited by McCloskey)
4.Brown (recruited by Tacy)
5.Griffin (recruited by Tacy)
6.Bogues (recruited by Tacy)
7.Rogers (recruited by Odom)
8.Childress (recruited by Odom)
9.Duncan (recruited by Odom)
10.Howard (recruited by Odom)
11.Paul (recruited by Prosser)

3 out of 11 were recruited by Tacy. Either he was great at identifying and recruiting talented players or great at turning mediocre players into outstanding players.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people Dick Vitale was ever good or important for college basketball.

You are obviously too young to remember the beginnings of ESPN or you would not make such an erroneous statement. I hated watching Vitale games the last three decades. But you don't know what you are talking about.

Many years ago, I watched a random mid-80s Wake-Clemson game on ESPN Classic. Dickie V did color and was fantastic. None of what we associate with him now. I remember one time seeing him in action at the Joel before the camera turned on. None of the theatrics. Lights...camera...full on "diaper dandies" and "PTPers" and all that.

Seems like an unceremonious exit for a guy that has called that game so long. Not being super hip to what's going on with ESPN personnel, has there been any public fall out or anything?

I was surprised he's not calling the game, have the ratings suffered with him calling the game the last few years?

I am not a fan of his anymore but can't deny his passion for the game.

I dread the day CBS ships Verne out

Back