• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dickie V not calling UNC / Duke Game

You are obviously too young to remember the beginnings of ESPN or you would not make such an erroneous statement. I hated watching Vitale games the last three decades. But you don't know what you are talking about.

Yes, ever since I was a small child he was abysmal. I haven't been alive for 3 decades though.

Vitale is the Billy Ray Cyrus of broadcasting - a big hit when he first started out, but unable to adapt or grow in his trade. Plus, he won't go the fuck away.

I like him as a person and sports personality, but I don't enjoy his color commentary. I was pumped to see him in the student section at the Joel back in 08 though for the Duke game.

I was there in the front row when we booed him in 03. He then kissed our ass all over the place and the next time he came he got a rousing ovation.

Growing up in the 90s, Dickie V was hilarious and fun. Then it really got old once he started to get old in the 00s.

I have heard him speak at a conference (sadly the day before Skip died) and he was engaging and inspiring. Have never liked his commentary though, going back to my early days of watching sports. The only redeeming factor is that when he is there the event feels bigger, even if he ironically detracts from it with his posturing.

If I were him I would be interested to see if there was a spot for me at CBS, to get in on that March Madness action.

Yall are haders dickie v pwns

Okafor just rolled the shit out of his ankle, Vitale would be in tears.

This game is so much more tolerable to watch with these announcers.

Growing up in the 90s, Dickie V was hilarious and fun. Then it really got old once he started to get old in the 00s.

This

At some point about a decade ago he decided to go full retard. Either that, or I turned 18 and outgrew him.

This

At some point about a decade ago he decided to go full retard. Either that, or I turned 18 and outgrew him.

This one.

To be fair, I turned on Dookie V after he said UNC deserved the #1 over Wake after we won the 1995 ACC Championship.

Didn't miss him.
Of course, I watched Brandt & Brando, and would have watched them had he been calling it.

Apparently ESPN decided the needed to fill the Vitale gap with Super Bowl level post game coverage of this game. Who gives a crap about seeing their anchors try and make half court shots?

COOK IS ON PAIGE AND HE WILL NOT LEAVE HIS SIDE. (Two seconds later.) ......Cook switches off Paige on the screen......

Happened at least twice.

I LOLed at that several times as well. Very emphatic. HE WILL NOT LEAVE HIM .... Followed by a guard to guard switch.

Thanks for the history. 2006 was painful...

Anything is better than Vitale. The man is incapable of shutting up and letting the play be the entertainment. It is like he has to be loud at all times. He just can't step aside. Less is more in many cases. And he never had anything technical or any strategic insight to add. I loved the old BBC guys whom they used to say were paid by the word. My favorite commentating of all time was when Nolan Ryan had a no hitter into the 9th many years ago. I forget which one. And the announcers just stopped talking and let the sights and Astrodome crowd tell the story. It was fantastic.

Bilas is certainly an upgrade over Vitale, but he really isn't that good as a color guy in my mind. I like his analysis from the studio, especially when he calls out Vitale who appears to just show up and spew nonsense without thinking it through.

Back