• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dickie V not calling UNC / Duke Game

Bilas calling the game? Granted, he is about as good as ESPN has, but I still wonder why they insist on having dukies call duke games. At least he stays objective.

Won't miss Vitale calling it though.

Bilas strikes me as smug and full of himself as a person, but as a commentator, he's as solid as they come.

Would love to hear Bobby Knight call a UNC/Dook game though.

I remember liking Vitale for a time. His energy was sort of a new thing in the mid 80s and he still provided actual insight, not just played the cartoon character "Dickie V". I can't pinpoint exactly when he turned, but my dislike of him started in the early early 90s.

If this wasn't his choice then I think it's pretty weak on ESPN's part. Sure he's annoying and kisses the blue blood ring, but he's also been a great advocate for the game on many levels aside from just broadcast. It's clear that the guy doesn't have many games left. He should go out on his own terms.

On the flip side, I heard that Bill Raftery is doing the Final Four this year. Nothing like a little lingerie on the deck during the big game.

Onions! Double order!

ETA: I just realized that the Cleveland Steamer is on the ticker in the top of that clip. Awesome.

Bilas calling the game? Granted, he is about as good as ESPN has, but I still wonder why they insist on having dukies call duke games. At least he stays objective.

Won't miss Vitale calling it though.

Eh, Billy Packer did our games for a long time. Only time I ever heard him fawn over Wake was when he referred to the end of Duncan's career as something like the last great senior season. He was usually pretty hard on us IIRC.

Eh, Billy Packer did our games for a long time. Only time I ever heard him fawn over Wake was when he referred to the end of Duncan's career as something like the last great senior season. He was usually pretty hard on us IIRC.

Yeah, unnecessarily hard.

God I would have bet serious SERIOUS money that if BKF posted on this thread it included a lengthy discussion about Billy Packer and the Final Four.

Fortunately you've got Indiana and Carolina to pull for instead.
Did their message boards crash? Is that why you're slumming it over here with us?

Billy Packer also got WF to its only Final Four with two clutch shots at the end of an Eastern Regional game vs St Josephs.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2004-03-15/features/0403150276_1_packer-joe-logic

"I just want to check: Is Billy Packer playing?" asked St. Joe's Coach Phil Martelli, a refreshingly funny man, after hearing Packer bash his team on CBS. "We'd like to play against him. He's got a lot to say. We'd like to play against him."

Packer played at Wake Forest, and in a 1962 regional final, His Logic beat St. Joe's with two jumpers in the last 18 seconds. Packer led the Demon Deacons to the Final Four on those shots.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1962-03-16-saint-josephs.html

We were 6 points down with 1:02 to play when Len Chappell hit two free throws. Packer hit a jumper to cut the lead to 2 points with 18 seconds to play, then after a missed one & one by St Josephs, Packer hit a jumper at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.....very much like the shot that Delaney Rudd hit against DePaul in 1984.

I remember it like it was yesterday. WF basketball was my life in those days...and since I was the only WF fan in my high school, the stakes were that much higher. It was a Friday night and I was on a date with a girl by the name of Sue Ann Duggins. We were listening to the game at her house and all hope seemed lost before Packer hit those shots. We had to listen to the game on the radio because the first round of the regional wasn't televised back then. The Regional Final the next night was televised (the article is wrong about the St Joe game being the regional final). We beat Hubie White & Villanova by 79-69. Probably big Bob Woollard's career best game with 19 points & 18 rebounds. Chappell had his usual great game with 22 points & 21 rebounds...and Billy Packer chipped in 18 points as well.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1962-03-17-villanova.html

Bob Woollard. Sue Anne Duggans. Radio programs. This post HAS IT ALL

Oh sorry. The sweatshirt story led me to believe you were a Carolina fan.

I've heard nothing but great things about Carl Tacy and he is by all accounts a fantastic man and representation of Wake Forest.....but at this point if the dude was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to save him just so we could stop fucking hearing about him from BKF. Of course that would probably just make him more of a martyr so we would have to listen to it more. In that case I would piss on him and hope BKF would pray at my altar instead of Tacy's.

I heard Gentleman Carl had a hard time with recruiting. Lacked the acumen of say, a Skip Prosser. Too bad, recruiting is an important part of being a college bball coach, even back in the Jurassic.

Huh? Tacy was the first decent Wake recruiter since Bones. Jack McCloskey's teams were really low on talent except for the occasional exception, as with CD.

Back