• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dickie V not calling UNC / Duke Game

Speaking of Anthony Teachey, 32 years ago tonight (Feb 19, 1983) he scored 22 points to lead the Deacs to a 110-104 win over Duke at the Greensboro Coliseum. Kenny Green added 18 points.

On a couple of other less successful February 19ths:

38 years ago (Feb 19, 1977) the Deacs lost to Virginia Tech 98-97 in OT at Memorial Coliseum to drop to 20-4 for the year. Rod Griffin poured in 37 points & Skip Brown added 26.

And 9 years ago (Feb 19, 2006) that marvelous 2005-06 Wake team blew a 9-point 2nd half lead at the Joel and lost 83-72 to Carolina....dropping to 1-11 in the ACC after finishing the previous year at 13-3.

Beginning with that VA Tech game, that team absolutely staggered home. I remember watching the Arkansas game in the NCAA first round with very low expectations. Good thing Sydney Moncrief fouled out late in the second half of that game, or the Deacs might have delivered on those expectations.

There was one play in the second half, which admittedly I also thought was a blatant foul, where Bilas let his Duke side come out. Okafor went up for a shot and "lost" the ball out of bounds (read: grabbed by a UNC guy and pulled backwards by his arm) and Bilas immediately just blurts out "oh come on that's a foul." Pretty funny.

On this date four years ago, Wake Forest lost 84-66 at home to Florida State which dropped Jeff [name redacted] to 8-19 overall and 1-11 in the ACC. Wake was led by Travis McKie who scored 20 points and recorded 8 rebounds. Wake led 33-31 at the half before being outscored by 20 in the second half. The high water mark of the game came with two minutes left in the first half when Wake took an absurd 28-23 lead and for one lone possession lowered FSU's odds of winning a road conference game against Wake Forest to below 75%. FSU would score on the next possession and Wake would never get back under the 75% odds to lose mark.

FSU would go on to make the Sweet 16 while Wake would finish 8-24. [name redacted] was fired three years later.

Knew that Manning was the right guy when he said Teachey was his favorite Deac growing up in Greensboro. Manning could see that Anthony personified basketball character and giving total effort on the court.

Knew that Manning was the right guy when he said Teachey was his favorite Deac growing up in Greensboro. Manning could see that Anthony personified basketball character and giving total effort on the court.

On a telecast a few years ago, someone asked Bilas to name the player who played him the toughest, and he said AT

I've been tired of Vitale for years, but there is something to be said for the legitimate love and enthusiasm he has for the game. He is kind of the anti-Packer when it comes to announcers.

That said, I miss Packer a lot more than I ever will miss Vitale. Packer at least analyzed and wasn't simply a cheerleader. He was a Negative Nellie, but he was a good one.

I think that if you took a poll for all WF players in its history to select which WF players got the most out of their abilities, had the best attitude & work ethic, etc., Anthony Teachey would be among the five players on the first team in that poll.

(I also think that Jackie Murdock would be on that 5-man first team.)
& Muggsy.

He could throw it down with the best of em on NBA Jams 93' though...

Trelonnie and Taron are 2 that come to mind.

On a telecast a few years ago, someone asked Bilas to name the player who played him the toughest, and he said AT

Bilas averaged like 7 points a game so he probably should have laughed it off and said he was a role player...

You think anyone asks Josh Shoemaker who played him the toughest?

It would be interesting to have a poll sometime to pick posters' all-time 5 favorite WF players who were not one of the top two players on their team at WF. In other words, they had to come from the 3rd, 4th & 5th starters (or off the bench). That would eliminate all the obvious stars & all-conference players from consideration.

I'd have to think about that one....but Jerry Schellenberg (1977 team) would definitely be one of them. (Rod Griffin & Skip Brown were the top two guys on that team.)

Leroy McDonald (1978 team) would probably be another. (Rod Griffin & Frank Johnson were the top two guys on that team.)

I liked Tony Rutland. Still wonder what would have happened if he didn't mess up his knee.

Beginning with that VA Tech game, that team absolutely staggered home. I remember watching the Arkansas game in the NCAA first round with very low expectations. Good thing Sydney Moncrief fouled out late in the second half of that game, or the Deacs might have delivered on those expectations.

We reached the freaking final 8

I liked Tony Rutland. Still wonder what would have happened if he didn't mess up his knee.

we would probably been pounded by one of the greatest college basketball teams ever in the final 8

Back