• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did [Redacted] delay the inevitable for a year?

Thanks, KV. Part of what we need in our coaches is that (irrational?) drive to succeed that leads you to uproot your family to climb the ladder. Agree that Chill and Rusty need to expand their experience before they can truly provide MSD with their full potential. The best thing for Wake is for them to be successful, regardless of location. If that gets them back to Wake, even better.
I certainly appreciate their commitment to their families.

Before this conjecture gets too far, BabyDeac, do you actually expect Buzz to resign at the end of the season and then for the entire coaching staff to be scattered to the wind with a new coach and his staff brought in? Makes little sense.

Why do you think that makes little sense, Mich? I wouldn't be surprise if an assistant stays, not too unusual. I also wouldn't be surprise with an entirely new staff. I know many feel we need to clean house, but if the new coach thinks one of our current guys would fit a valuable role, I am not going to hold [Redacted] against them.

I hate BZ for not allowing me to fully enjoy the win last night. A part of me dreads each victory because it brings us closer to another year of this ongoing mistake.

Although BabyDeac did make me feel a lot better.

Childress had one of my favorite Wake moments of the season last night. Thomas caught a pass standing wide open under the basket- I mean seriously wide open- not a player within 10 ft of him. All he had to do was turnaround and dunk the ball. For some unknown reason Devin became confused, fumbling and looking around before finally passing the ball back out, which resulted in a turnover. Bz immediately called a TO and as Devin was walking to the bench with his head down, Childress, laughing his ass off, walked up to him and gave him a little shoulder bump. Good stuff.

A play before that Devin got knocked to the ground and was calling to be subbed, looked winded at best, but after that play you mention I thought he'd been concussed.

After this season, RW will announce with regret that Bz has resigned, comment on the problems he inherited, thank him for turning the program around and for building a solid foundation for success in the future. Then he will go out and hire an aggressive young coach that he should have gotten four years ago.

For tonight, enjoy the win and dont let troublesome thoughts enter your mind.

ABC, baby!

After having Wellman drag everyone through the quagmire that has existed in basketball the past three years and enduring Grobe while he enjoyed his annual $2M plus annual payout while losing much more than winning...for me, any victories are emotionless @ this point.

It's pretty obvious Ron was trying to build the Wake coaching family by bringing Rusty and Chill onboard. It's unlikely Wellman is going to quickly throw that plan aside.

It's pretty obvious Ron was trying to build the Wake coaching family by bringing Rusty and Chill onboard. It's unlikely Wellman is going to quickly throw that plan aside.

Actually, it's way more obvious that he was creating shields for [Redacted].

I like what Chill has done with Codi and I like that his swagger is infectious. He loves Wake Forest. Beyond that, I don't know? I am sure he has a nice career in coaching ahead of him- but he will have to leave Wake in order to advance.

Rusty is very, very smart and loves Wake. He is very type A and is 100% dedicated to his job- takes losses personally and will watch game film and take notes until his eyes and fingers bleed. He will be a head coach somewhere...he will obviously have to leave WFU to advance because he is nowhere even close to being ready for a HC position in the ACC.

I don't see them leaving Wake by choice anytime soon- Rusty has a son who is a freshman at Reagan and one in middle schools, as well as a dtr who is 4th grader. I'm not sure if he wants to move while he has a kid in HS (the oldest graduates in May), but I guess if an opportunity opens up, he has to take it. Same for Childress. His oldest is a soph at East Forsyth.

I guess it all comes down to what happens in the off season. I think they both are still learning- and Battle is a good teacher.

As far as how they are at practices, etc, I will defer to BabyDeac because I am not around practices. I do know that both have a very high basketball IQ, but I don't know how that translates to coaching.

Chill has a kid at East Forsyth? Does he live in KVegas?

Actually, it's way more obvious that he was creating shields for [Redacted].

Rusty was on staff before Bz.

Mich, you're both right. I think Wellman thinks Rusty is the coach of the future. Not sure what his plan is for Childress.

People have posted that their Deacon Club reps or AD have specifically mentioned Rusty and Childress' job status in response to calls to fire Bz. That's a human shield.

Chill has a kid at East Forsyth? Does he live in KVegas?

Yes, Brandon. He is a starter on the East Forsyth basketball team. Looks like his dad, has his dad's swagger...so on the East team there is a Larue and a Childress. They play for Mike Muse.

I don't think they live in KV. The Larue's don't. Forsyth County is school of choice, so if the school has openings, a kid can enroll, no matter their address. Pretty sure they live in Lweisville/Clemmons.

All of our assistants and their families understand college basketball is a business and moving a lot is part of it. If you're lucky enough to stick around a place for 10+ years, you are a bigfoot in the college coaching world.

All of our assistants and their families understand college basketball is a business and moving a lot is part of it. If you're lucky enough to stick around a place for 10+ years, you are a bigfoot in the college coaching world.

Yet Rusty has been in the same area for how long?

Right, but he's had 3 jobs that haven't required him to leave like most people aspiring to be college basketball coaches.

Back