• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did [Redacted] delay the inevitable for a year?

Did anyone else notice the great, concerted lengths ESPN went to in not showing Wake huddles and, to the point, [Redacted] talking to the team during time-outs, etc? I know the universe loves Roy but I don't recall seeing the cameras on a Wake huddle even once. And Anish Shrof shredded [Redacted] after his comments on the first-half. He's got the social skills and charisma of wet cardboard. At least we won. Whatever happens, happens. But UNC lost to Wake in 2014.

If we get 18-20 wins, [Redacted] ain't going anywhere.
IMO it really depends on what those Ws get us. If we're sniffing the NCAAs, he stays. I think Wellman would be fine with getting into the NIT this year but I'm not so sure Bz would stay. The latter really depends on things like his relationships with the assistant coaches. If it's strong, then he might feel an allegiance to keep the staff together one more year. If not, then I think he leaves. If we don't make the NIT, then I think he's gone.

On camera he is impossible to watch or listen to. My wife, who could give two shits about Wake basketball, saw the halftime interview and said "Dear God, is that your coach?" (Sigh) Yes....

The line from his post-game interview where he started to answer the third question, paused, and then interjected "WAKE FOREST NATION!" was perhaps the most stunning display of awkwardness ever captured on camera.

My wife made a similar comment after hearing the "Wake Forest Nation!" in the post-game interview.

IMO it really depends on what those Ws get us. If we're sniffing the NCAAs, he stays. I think Wellman would be fine with getting into the NIT this year but I'm not so sure Bz would stay. The latter really depends on things like his relationships with the assistant coaches. If it's strong, then he might feel an allegiance to keep the staff together one more year. If not, then I think he leaves. If we don't make the NIT, then I think he's gone.

I have no personal knowledge, but I can't imagine he has a good relationship with any of those guys moreso than any boss/subordinate. Battle, Chill, and Rusty were all around Wake for various high times (cue Goolsby reference). Despite their public support, they have to believe he is the wrong guy for the job. While they may like him as a person, I doubt it is to the point where that outweighs their desire for a new hire. Obviously they may want him to stay for their own personal job security, but Battle can get a job at a lot of places, and Chill and Rusty probably think that they will always have work in some capacity within the Wake AD.

Think it's far too late to be thinking about the NIT with our OOC schedule, even assuming we take down another 1-2 ranked teams at home (which I think we'll do).

Did anyone else notice the great, concerted lengths ESPN went to in not showing Wake huddles and, to the point, [Redacted] talking to the team during time-outs, etc? I know the universe loves Roy but I don't recall seeing the cameras on a Wake huddle even once. And Anish Shrof shredded [Redacted] after his comments on the first-half. He's got the social skills and charisma of wet cardboard. At least we won. Whatever happens, happens. But UNC lost to Wake in 2014.

Not showing Buzz "coaching" is doing everyone a favor. Not having interviews with him would be even better.

Baby and KVegas, what are your thoughts on Childress' current coaching ability and his future potential?
Rusty?

Think it's far too late to be thinking about the NIT with our OOC schedule, even assuming we take down another 1-2 ranked teams at home (which I think we'll do).
KenPoms at large up to ~90 get into the NIT so we're probably squarely in the NIT if we remain ~75. Our current RPI is 63. The worst at large team in the NCAAs last year was Cal with a 20-11 record and an RPI at the time of seeding of 53 (51 final and final KenPom 56). Not sure why it's "too late".

KenPoms at large up to ~90 get into the NIT so we're probably squarely in the NIT if we remain ~75. Our current RPI is 63. The worst at large team in the NCAAs last year was Cal with a 20-11 record and an RPI at the time of seeding of 53 (51 final and final KenPom 56). Not sure why it's "too late".
Because we needed to build up more of a 'cache' than that to account for unbalanced home/road split with respect to the games we've played so far vs. the ones still to come. So far, 1/14 games we've played were on the road, while 9/17 games to come are on the road. (And of course, the teams we'll be playing are generally stronger across the board.)

It's not where our RPI or KenPom rating is now; it's where it will be after accounting for all those road games we still haven't played. Put simply, our OOC may be so weak that us just 'taking care of business' at home and even stealing a few home wins against top-ranked teams won't be enough to get our ranking high enough once all the inevitable road losses are factored in.

It's not where our RPI or KenPom rating is now; it's where it will be after accounting for all those road games we still haven't played. Put simply, our OOC may be so weak that us just 'taking care of business' at home and even stealing a few home wins against top-ranked teams won't be enough to get our ranking high enough once all the inevitable road losses are factored in.
Our OOC SOS in the RPI calculation was 149 which is considerably better than what KenPom calculates...by more than half. That's why our RPI is a bit higher than our KenPom number. I believe the NCAA uses RPI.

This is what I predicted at the beginning of the season. We've learned that this is all about pride for Wellman. He just wants to save face. We should root for 18-20 wins and Bzdelick rides off in to the sunset with a modicum of his reputation intact. Wellman gets to spin it as the plan all along, and we move on.

Seven years of placeholder coaches is a bad plan.

Not according to Jason Williams last night. The BzzOut crowd is made up of bad fans according to Mr. Motorcycle. Takes time to get to 15 wins.

The line from his post-game interview where he started to answer the third question, paused, and then interjected "WAKE FOREST NATION!" was perhaps the most stunning display of awkwardness ever captured on camera.

My wife made a similar comment after hearing the "Wake Forest Nation!" in the post-game interview.

He then smiled as if he was very proud of himself for having just said that too. I've seen that smile before. Not sure if its a forced smile after he's done talking or if he's really is just that proud of what he just said.

Hopefully it'll be like the Colorado situation where he leaves and the new guy comes in and really raises everything with his energy and ability to connect with the players. Boyle has the Buffs in the top 25 and they beat previously undefeated Oregon yesterday. Ready to see our program in the rankings every week again.

I went looking for the Villanova game yesterday and caught the end of the Colorado game since it was on the same channel. The announcers were lavishing praise on Boyle, talking about how he had turned around the program and built up a great student section. It was depressing.

If Bz strings together a trifecta wining 3 in a row. Wellman will make him mayor of WS, give him the key to the city and keep him around until Wellman decides to retire...Just to throw salt on all of us dissenters on this site!

Baby and KVegas, what are your thoughts on Childress' current coaching ability and his future potential?

Childress had one of my favorite Wake moments of the season last night. Thomas caught a pass standing wide open under the basket- I mean seriously wide open- not a player within 10 ft of him. All he had to do was turnaround and dunk the ball. For some unknown reason Devin became confused, fumbling and looking around before finally passing the ball back out, which resulted in a turnover. Bz immediately called a TO and as Devin was walking to the bench with his head down, Childress, laughing his ass off, walked up to him and gave him a little shoulder bump. Good stuff.

Rusty?

I like what Chill has done with Codi and I like that his swagger is infectious. He loves Wake Forest. Beyond that, I don't know? I am sure he has a nice career in coaching ahead of him- but he will have to leave Wake in order to advance.

Rusty is very, very smart and loves Wake. He is very type A and is 100% dedicated to his job- takes losses personally and will watch game film and take notes until his eyes and fingers bleed. He will be a head coach somewhere...he will obviously have to leave WFU to advance because he is nowhere even close to being ready for a HC position in the ACC.

I don't see them leaving Wake by choice anytime soon- Rusty has a son who is a freshman at Reagan and one in middle schools, as well as a dtr who is 4th grader. I'm not sure if he wants to move while he has a kid in HS (the oldest graduates in May), but I guess if an opportunity opens up, he has to take it. Same for Childress. His oldest is a soph at East Forsyth.

I guess it all comes down to what happens in the off season. I think they both are still learning- and Battle is a good teacher.

As far as how they are at practices, etc, I will defer to BabyDeac because I am not around practices. I do know that both have a very high basketball IQ, but I don't know how that translates to coaching.

If WF somehow plays itself onto the NCAA bubble (which I doubt), WF's pathetic OOC schedule would hurt a lot, as OOC road wins (or even close losses) are often tiebreakers. Teams that beat up on a bunch of weaklings at home are typically the teams that get left out when parsing teams results.

THIS POST IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED A PREDICTION THAT WF WILL BE ON THE BUBBLE JUST THE OBSERVATION THAT WF'S SOFT OOC SCHEDULE MAKES IT HARDER FOR WF TO GET AN AT LARGE BID IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT THAT WF IS CONSIDERED FOR ONE.

I like what Chill has done with Codi and I like that his swagger is infectious. He loves Wake Forest. Beyond that, I don't know? I am sure he has a nice career in coaching ahead of him- but he will have to leave Wake in order to advance.

Rusty is very, very smart and loves Wake. He is very type A and is 100% dedicated to his job- takes losses personally and will watch game film and take notes until his eyes and fingers bleed. He will be a head coach somewhere...he will obviously have to leave WFU to advance because he is nowhere even close to being ready for a HC position in the ACC.

I don't see them leaving Wake by choice anytime soon- Rusty has a son who is a freshman at Reagan and one in middle schools, as well as a dtr who is 4th grader. I'm not sure if he wants to move while he has a kid in HS (the oldest graduates in May), but I guess if an opportunity opens up, he has to take it. Same for Childress. His oldest is a soph at East Forsyth.

I guess it all comes down to what happens in the off season. I think they both are still learning- and Battle is a good teacher.

As far as how they are at practices, etc, I will defer to BabyDeac because I am not around practices. I do know that both have a very high basketball IQ, but I don't know how that translates to coaching.

Wellman loves Rusty and Childress (and I do too), but the next coach has to be free to select his own staff. If Rusty and Chill have the chops to coach at the D-1 level, they need to prove it elsewhere, and maybe one of them can work his way into the head job at WF, by proving it elsewhere, but they must know that coaching is a nomadic business, and you have to be willing to pull up roots to climb the ladder. If the next coach is required to keep the same assistants around we are just going around in circles, and if any current assistant got the WF job after Bz, that would be awful.

Last edited:
Like with the Clawson football hire, RW has got to now realize that the new BB coach has to be free to choose his own staff.:thumbsup:

Battle, Larue and Chill all three will land on their feet somewhere.

Back