• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dirtiest basketball player in HS?

Get up and throw the ball as hard as you can in his face then kick him hard as hell in the nuts

Heck... Downey's little bro got me about 5 or 6 times in one game with similar shots at BMcG (didn't really blame him...)

He used to get away with murder. I could never figure out why because he just wasn't good outside of his last name.

My point was that in NC public HS ball, if you foul like that, then there's either going to be some sort of in-game retaliation or you're going to get hit. I was surprised the other team just took it.

But, I agree with posters that this really isn't that bad. I played against tons of thuggish, untalented players in my day, which really wasn't that long ago.

Clearly Washington state basketball is pathetic. Is that a midget league?

Yeah the kid is dirty but actual good players would just dribble around him and make him look like a fool.

Sad that 34's coach allowed him to play after the 5th foul so that he was even involved with the 6th one.

Well this title is an example of hyperbole...

Not much hyperbole. If you think that's the first time that kid played like that, you are being naive. He looked very comfortable trying to hurt people.

There aren't many players in the country what are that dirty.

Not much hyperbole. If you think that's the first time that kid played like that, you are being naive. He looked very comfortable trying to hurt people.

There aren't many players in the country what are that dirty.

Does John Chaney coach that team?

I guess the world is a naive, naive place.

"[Cole Vanderbilt] a tough kid, but those that know him know he's a teddy bear. In the first game of his basketball career, he got carried away in the excitement of playing a cross-town rival." Connell coach Oscar Garza told the Tri-City Herald.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...school-wp10756

Classy guys do not threaten to kill another coach during a press conference.

oh shut up.... it was a terrible incident, and should not have happened. But the guy has been engulphed in Philly Basketball for decades. He does more in a day to support his community and basketball programs (at all levels) then you would do in a lifetime.

Give him a break for that terrible reaction to someone taking a shot at his family (or that's how the back story goes).

Classy guys do not threaten to kill another coach during a press conference.

I was actually referring to the time when Chaney sent one of his bench players into the game with the sole purpose of hurting someone. His player broke someone's arm on the opposing team shortly after entering the game. In the press conference Chaney said he put his 'goon' in to 'send a message.' it was a 2005 game against St Joes. Doesn't sound very classy to me

oh shut up.... it was a terrible incident, and should not have happened. But the guy has been engulphed in Philly Basketball for decades. He does more in a day to support his community and basketball programs (at all levels) then you would do in a lifetime.

Give him a break for that terrible reaction to someone taking a shot at his family (or that's how the back story goes).

Well, Cheney has made several millions more than Karma and does have a slightly more publicized name. He's naturally in a position to do more.

Besides, everything you said about Cheney was also said about John Gotti.

John Chaney took dozens of kids whom no one else would and got them college degrees. He didn't take any crap from the kids. They had to study.

Yes he was gruff, but his legend as a coach has more to do with creating a lot of good men than it does with his number of wins.

Well, Cheney has made several millions more than Karma and does have a slightly more publicized name. He's naturally in a position to do more.

Besides, everything you said about Cheney was also said about John Gotti.

WTF are you talking about? You have no idea do you?

Cheneys career before he made millions was spent at SIMON GRatz HS. One of the toughest highschools in Philly. He was able to get more kids to graduate, more kids to recieve scholarships, and put Gratz on the map as one of the elite highschool basketball programs in the country.

Like RJ said, he was a tough man, which is the only way to survive and get your message across in that environment. Comparing him to a piece of garbage like Gotti is laughable and ignorant at best.

John Chaney took dozens of kids whom no one else would and got them college degrees. He didn't take any crap from the kids. They had to study.

Yes he was gruff, but his legend as a coach has more to do with creating a lot of good men than it does with his number of wins.

Just to summarize...

In this thread:

1- RJ calls for a HS basketball coach to be suspended for apparently condoning a player's rough play and (and according to RJ) intentional attempts at injuring his opponents.

2- RJ cites John Chaney as a legend who should be heralded for the good men he produced.

Truly classic RJ trolling (and/or insanity).

John Cheney was suspended for that. Self imposed...then the university suspended him, and I believe the NCAA suspended as well. I'm sure, at that time, RJ was probably saying that Cheney should be suspended, and he was.

Cheney was wrong in what he did. Admitted he was wrong and fined himself.

He didn't hide like most coaches do.

Let me guess we have virginal posters who have never done anything wrong in their lives. I'd like to have the glass house concession for this board.

Back