• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

I think so.

I love that place but always get overruled, the mexico place and the italian pizza joint are probably my other top 2 restos in epcot. I'd rate the German biergarten higher except for having some realll weird experiences sitting with strangers there (if they still do that).

Japanese hibachi place is one of the places that always seems to be open for a reservation within a week out (which is when I start looking as an Annual Passholder). Still doesn't disappoint me.

Went to Mexico a couple of months ago - major letdown. Service wasn't good, and the food was nothing special - I can get better Mexican food at the place I go for lunch twice a week. Via Napoli in Italy - I've been there twice in the past three months, both great times. Split the meter-long pizza with friends one time, did the fish the other. Both were great. Germany, did that a couple of years ago and not going back. Just not a fan of it being a buffet. They still sit you with strangers, which I actually didn't mind as a solo diner, made for some good conversations.

I think so.

I love that place but always get overruled, the mexico place and the italian pizza joint are probably my other top 2 restos in epcot. I'd rate the German biergarten higher except for having some realll weird experiences sitting with strangers there (if they still do that).

yeah, the italian pizza join is legit

Via is great. There is a Pizza place on board walk that used to be great for the family--- walk around grab a pizza to go back to the hotel.. But now they only do by the slice, raised the price, and changed the taste.

Disney customer service has gone down, but many times it's still better than outside.

Oh, speaking of World Showcase, if you go in the evening, go to France and check out their film, Impressions of France. They only run it at night now.

One of my parents’ neighbors is a Disney 33 member, and they hooked us up with a VIP tour. Would have been stupidly expensive otherwise, but holy shit the efficiency is incredible.

There were 10 of us, including a 5, 4, 3 year old and a 5 month old. Showed up at the contemporary at 9 am and they take you in a van directly to private entrance. We did Jungle cruise, then what felt like every kiddie ride (its a small world, Peter Pan, magic carpet, dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, little mermaid, maybe more they all blend together). Did 7 dwarfs mine train (big hit with the kids), and the goofy coaster and buzz light year. Did multiple princess meets, and when we picked up lunch and they had a spot for us overlooking the parade. Fantastic time.

Then they drove us over to Epcot where we did the frozen ride, met Anna and Elsa, ratatouille, guardians of the galaxy (awesome) and the kids did finding Nemo. All of that and we left at around 4:00.

If you ever get offered on of these VIP things, jump on it. Definitely felt a little weird at first just skipping everyone waiting in the long ass lines, but🤷‍♂️

Did seaworld on Monday and was done in about half a day. No wait longer than 35 minutes, only one animal show, but did Manta and Kraken. This was the first time I've seen the south american tour groups with the flags at Seaworld, but not very crowded overall

Seaworld was a really laid-back and fun time last summer. Kids dug it.

Suburbanites just go to Disney to enjoy a walkable city with restaurants.

Any meals that are must experience? We ate at the Crystal Palace(meh and overpriced) and Coral Reef(enjoyed the aquarium but still kinda meh) last time. The pick-up food we got the rest of the time was honestly almost as good.
Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. Awesome thanksgiving type meal.
German Buffet in Epcot
Garden Grille at dinner is just as awesome and filling as breakfast.

His Belle and Her Beast shirts for couples were everywhere. 🤮
Everywhere. Of course, heteronormative shirts that villainize middle-age women is the logical consequence of Disney animated films.

I love you

I know

Best shirt I was was the rectangle star wars logo with pew pew pew

Got my final Splash Mountain in Sunday. Lady Jonas got hers in yesterday, ironically it wasn't planned to be the last but the ride broke down on her final attempt. Ride is way overdue for an overhaul but will miss the song. Sad to see a classic go and in such poor form at the end.

my only regret was not seeing Gaston

i really enjoyed embarassing the hell out of my 7yo at the Beauty/Beast sing along, though

So, we ended up doing a long weekend in Orlando Feb 10-12. Our crew was me, the wife, our 12 year old and our 8 year old. The trip was a Christmas present for the kids, with the 12 year old wanting to do Universal and the 8 year old wanting to do Disney.

Based on advice here and other places online, it seemed like staying in a premier hotel at Universal was worth it for the express passes. Therefore, we drove down Thursday after school and stayed Thursday night at the Hard Rock. The hotel itself seemed fine, but the location was phenomenal.

We are not a family that likes to stuff as many experiences into vacations as we can, nor do we like to schedule things terribly far in advance. Based on what I read about Universal, it seemed like one day would not allow us to see everything, but it would allow us to see a lot. My kids were most excited about the Harry Potter lands, so we decided to do the 1-day park hopper ticket. By making the Hogwarts Express a park hopper exclusive ride, Universal smartly sealed the deal on that ticket upgrade for my family.

As we were headed to bed on Thursday night, that was about all we had planned. We knew we had a park hopper, we knew we had express passes, and we knew we got early admission at Islands of Adventure. I also read that our plan in the morning should be to head to Hagrids because it does not have an express pass line. So that's what we did.

Friday
We left earlier than we typically would to try to take advantage of our early access. Therefore, just before the official opening, we were waiting outside the I of A gates. Apparently others had also read similar advice because there were a ton of people with the same plan. Even though we went straight to Hagrids, we still ended up waiting about 70 minutes to ride.

I should note that my son was talking a big game about roller coasters, but we hadn't been to a park or fair in years. My daughter is pretty brave for an 8 year old, but she was a bit unsure. My wife is scared and doesn't like them. Thus, three of us rode Hagrids, while my wife got out of line just before boarding.

After we got off, my daughter said it was scary and fun and wondered it we could ride it again. I gave the bad news about waiting in line, so we decided to see some other things. Both of my kids thought Velocicoaster seemed too intense, so we decided to head away from Hodsmeade and go around the park the other direction.

We hit almost all of the non-coaster rides going clockwise around the islands. Interestingly, my daughter was a lot more scared by the 4D with some movement style rides (Spiderman, Kong, etc.) than the rides that moved. Both kids chickened out on the Hulk.

By mid-afternoon, we made our way back to Hogsmeade and took the Hogwarts Express. The kids thought it was incredibly cool, and it was some nice downtime in the midst of a busy day.

On the Universal Studios side, we ate lunch in Diagon Alley (great fish and chips and bangers and mash for a theme park), bought some wants, and messed around for a while with the wand tricks. We watched the dragon on Gringott's breathe fire a few times and went on Gringott's. Event though it's roller coaster-ish, my wife loved it. My daughter, on the other hand, thought it was really scary and hated it. I think the combination of 4D and coaster was the problem.

We then went around US clockwise, and the Men in Black ride was a hit with everyone, but especially my daughter. I had the highest score of our group. I need somewhere to brag.

We did the ET ride which was weird, dated, and kind of nice. Then we saw the Bourne Stunt show. The stunts were pretty good, but the technology was incredible.

By this point, everyone was pretty exhausted and it started to rain a bit. We had some dinner and wanted to check out the Hogwarts Express the other direction, so we headed back to I of A. The rain let up and we did the Harry Potter rides we skipped that morning, with both kids loving the ride inside the Hogwarts Castle. It was getting late, so we also caught the sorting hat laser light show on the castle. As with everything else Harry Potter at Universal, it was exceptionally well done.

I of A was set to close and US was the park open for another hour, but it was clear that everyone was exhausted at this point. Therefore, we set off on the longest walk in history to the Hard Rock. Cue a soundtrack of "My legs hurt. I'm tired. Etc."

We made it back, got our luggage, hopped in the car, and drove to the Marriott Orlando World Center. Needless to say, no one had trouble getting to sleep.

Saturday
Because we were not staying on Disney property, we did not have early access to Magic Kingdom. And, seeing as how the day before was jam packed, we decided to leave later in the morning and get some sleep. As the only vague planner on the trip, I was in charge of figuring out the schedule.

I settled on purchasing both an individual lighting lane for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (3:30 in the afternoon) and the Genie+ for the day. I had read how much more carefully you needed to pay attention and game the system than at Universal, and those comments were right. I saw that I could book a Genie + reservation at park opening (9am), so I booked Jungle Cruise for 2ish in the afternoon. Then, at 11, I was able to book another ride.

Overall, my family vastly preferred the express passes to the Disney version. Like I said, we're not huge planners, and having to decide what ride we wanted to do 3 hours later was not a good a fit. We did it, rode all the things we really wanted to, and probably ended up having 10-12 Genie + bookings, but it made the day feel more like work and less like fun. I understand that Disney would have a hard time implementing the express pass system without having to make changes, but I would have gladly paid more money for a better experience. My son and I rode Space Mountain late in the day and he wanted to hop on again right afterward. I saw that there was another reservation available in 20 minutes and tried to book it before I had to dejectedly tell him that we could only use the booking once per ride.

Our Magic Kingdom day was fine, but the age of my kids and going to Universal the day before made it seem less magical. The Harry Potter worlds at Universal are better executed that anything at Magic Kingdom. In addition, so many of the rides at MK seem old and tired. While Universal probably relies too heavily on 4D attractions, MK needs something to fill the thrill gap between Jungle Cruise/Pirates/Winnie the Pooh and the coasters. There are simply too many rides that are boring or outdated. On the other hand, Thunder Mountain and the Mine Train are both really great family coasters, and Space Mountain is a notch more thrilling. Tron (once open) will slot at the top end of thrills, but there will still be a huge gap around the smaller thrills.

Another thing that my wife and I both missed from the last time we were at Disney was the characters. Do characters not walk around anymore? That used to be one of the best parts about the park, but the only characters we saw were Winnie and Tigger just outside the Winnie ride. Otherwise, there was numerous meet and greets that you could sign up for, but that doesn't have the same magical feel.

Sunday
Our plan was to enjoy the water slides at the hotel and then drive back to SC whenever the kids got bored. The Marriott World Center has the best hotel water slides I've ever seen, so this plan seemed foolproof. Foolproof except for the weather that is. We ended up having temperatures in the 50s and 60s, so the kids thought the heated water was fine when they were in the pool, but froze the second that got out of it to go up the slides.

We ended up staying in pool about an hour and half anyway. They probably did more laps around the lazy river than most NASCAR races have.

If this trip summary helps anyone in the future, that would be great. :)

Our family scores out of ten would be:
Hard Rock Hotel (8) - Awesome location. Ok hotel.
Islands of Adventure (9) - Great park experience with express passes
Universal Studios (7) - Seems more dated than its sibling, but still fun
Magic Kingdom (5) - Disney seems better at talking about the magic than delivering it currently.
Marriott Orlando World Center (8) - HUGE hotel. It's a resort hotel and a conference hotel in one. I prefer smaller hotels, but if you like larger ones, this one has it all.

Did the Tron preview Sunday...

To me it was just Meh. I still think Space is better, but it's now the second best ride in Magic. Not as good as guardians. If you're into the coasters for the phyisical response, universal is and even seaworld are better rides, but the theming is very cool.

The cycles were a little uncomfortable, mainly not having a neck support. The ride itself the lights are cool, but the ride is so short. It would be a lot better if they had figured a way to add another 30 seconds and some loops more drops something.

3 of the last 4 new coaster rides have been ridiculously short.

Back