• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do negative fans hurt the basketball program?

I'm sorry that I offended you on an internet message board...I was under the impression that what was said out here did not actually affect people.

Not offended at all. I'm quite used to your inability to post anything of any substance here.

BTW, which basketball team do you support? Wondering since you referred to Wake fans as "you guys" on the other thread.

VA, some serious questions

1. Have you spoken face-to-face with a Top 50 recruit in the past 5-10 years?

2. Have you spoken to say more than one coach whose players are being recruited by D1 teams in the past say 2-3 years or less?

3. Have you spoken with families of either current or recent D1 players?

I'd make a decent sized bet that your answer to at least two of these questions are no.

If you had, you wouldn't have the same attitude you do.

With all of the negativity last year we still managed to pull in a top 10-20 class.

REMARKABLE

Kent, the reason people root for and/or defend him is because he is the current head basketball coach of wake forest university. And he's going to be for the foreseeable future. It's that simple.

well that's stupid, and people who do that are stupid. just like unc fans who defend roy when he pulls his horseshit are stupid.

look, just because somebody went to the same university i graduated from, or is employed by the university i graduated from, does not mean that they must be defended at all costs. what in the hell is wrong with some people?

I don't think there's a single person here who would say [Redacted] was in their top three choices.

However dozens of people refused to even give him three games of a chance.

If you are like me and understand that [Redacted] wasn't going to be fired in less than three years and want to see what happens in year three, you are branded as Buzzin but the loons.

There is so much irrationality here that is staggering.

Who's responsible for destroying the basketball program--the person(s) responsible for a 36-point embarrassment at home against our arch (in-state) rival, or fans that are upset, angry, and emotional about that outcome?

And before anyone says the above two choices aren't mutually exclusive, I'd say that if fans weren't pissed about last Saturday's game (as an example), then the program's already dead.

Fans being angry at bad results is the byproduct of having fans at all. Show me a fanbase with no negativity whatsoever and I'll show you a program that either never loses or is too shitty for anyone to care.

And for the record, I don't think [Redacted] should be canned tomorrow or anything. But I can't say I'm at all happy or enthusiastic about the state of the program or the direction it's headed. I've never felt as dead or emotionless about Wake basketball as I do now; having attended Wake during the transition from GDO to Skip (00-04), I never thought I'd feel like this.

If you don't think our boards being 75+% negative about any sport isn't unusual then you are simply rationalizing.

I don't think message boards have any material effect on recruiting. Recruits don't need us to tell them WFU basketball sucks, and to say otherwise is condescending, at best.

And even if our bitching does have some effect, that's too bad. If Wellman doesn't want us to say it sucks, then make it not suck. It's that simple.

The fact that our parents paid WFU a buttload of money so we could go to school there does not obligate us to deny the obvious fact that WFU basketball is horrible, nothing in Buzz's long history indicates that he will lead us anywhere beyond mediocrity, and Wellman has spun the whole thing so hard and so badly (starting with the reason for the fire/hire) that we can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Rj, you were non stop negative on Dino. Not sure what you're getting at.

(Only read last page of thread, so if that was already discussed, sorry)

I was hardly "non-stop" negative on Dino while he was here, but nice way to try to rationalize your behavior now.

Rj, did anyone among your legions of big-time basketball contacts offer any reasons why negative postings by fans would reflect disproportionately more poorly on Wake than it would on any number of other schools whose fans post similar types of stuff? Because that was my point. If you or lectroll had actually read my post, you'd know that (seems I've seen you use that line a time or two).

Last edited:
aw jeez not this shit again...

I've said it once and I'll say it again, if the people we are targeting are the types that would get all butthurt over what gets said on the internet, I'm not sure we want them in the first place.

I don't think message boards have any material effect on recruiting. Recruits don't need us to tell them WFU basketball sucks, and to say otherwise is condescending, at best.

And even if our bitching does have some effect, that's too bad. If Wellman doesn't want us to say it sucks, then make it not suck. It's that simple.

The fact that our parents paid WFU a buttload of money so we could go to school there does not obligate us to deny the obvious fact that WFU basketball is horrible, nothing in Buzz's long history indicates that he will lead us anywhere beyond mediocrity, and Wellman has spun the whole thing so hard and so badly (starting with the reason for the fire/hire) that we can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

This x 2

Rj, you were non stop negative on Dino. Not sure what you're getting at.

(Only read last page of thread, so if that was already discussed, sorry)

Nothing rj ever said is in the same ballpark of the normal hate spewed at bzz.

What exactly is wrong with my behavior? Be specific.

You clearly were calling me a hypocrite and liar while you postied lies yourself.

I didn't post non-stop negative about Dino. To say otherwise is to revisionist history at the leat, and BLATANT lies at the worst.

Why are you doing this? you used to be above this?

Back