• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duck Dynasty

Mark 7:13 13 "making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do."

Luke 8:21 21 But He answered and said to them, "My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it."

Luke 11:27-28 27*¶ And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!" 28 But He said, "More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

Acts 4:31 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

Acts 13:44 44*¶ On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

The Incarnate Word spoke both before and after He came into the world.

ESV 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 2:24 24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

Merry Christmas to all and to all 'good night'

The Incarnate Word spoke both before and after He came into the world.

You serious, Clark? Incarnate is a word that means "enfleshed/to put on flesh." So if the Word was Incarnate before he came into the world, where was he hanging out before heading to Palestine? Mars? Asteroid belt? Andromeda galaxy? Is the Triune God now a physical being made up of atoms, in a physical heaven? Life is too short for such weak theology.

ETA- I certainly believe that the Word is God, and is co-eternal and all of that Creedal stuff, but to say that the Word was incarnate before the Incarnation is just :rolleyes::bullshit::rulz::rofl:

Last edited:
A perfect example about what is truly the "Word of God" is to listen to the differences of how two pastors (Rev and Mebane) describe it.

If these two disagree so widely and with such passion, how can anyone claim to truly know?

As an aside, most debates within Christianity are ultimately inconsequential. Is Eucharist about transubstantiation or a memorial meal? Not a deal breaker, imo. Virgin birth, take it or leave it. I mean, sure, I might have some opinions, but we can't prove either. One might make more sense, but there really aren't many (or often, any) substantial consequences to these different doctrines. But the idea that the Bible is the literal and infallible Word of God is absolutely wrong (that idea is only a few hundred years old) and pernicious. Also, using a text to prove its own validity is poor philosophy and theology. God is so much bigger than the Bible, I just don't understand why people want to limit God to that. Well, actually, I do, it gives them control over God. But that belief leads to all sorts of misinterpretations, and puts the emphasis on ink on a page instead of the Living God, made manifest in Jesus of Nazareth, the Word of God. The Bible may be the word of God, but not the Word. We don't worship a book. At best, the Bible points to God, but it is not a god. But too many people practice idolatry with the Bible.

Last edited:
As an aside, most debates within Christianity are ultimately inconsequential. Is Eucharist about transubstantiation or a memorial meal? Not a deal breaker, imo. Virgin birth, take it or leave it. I mean, sure, I might have some opinions, but we can't prove either. One might make more sense, but there really aren't many (or often, any) substantial consequences to these different doctrines. But the idea that the Bible is the literal and infallible Word of God is absolutely wrong (that idea is only a few hundred years old) and pernicious. Also, using a text to prove its own validity is poor philosophy and theology. God is so much bigger than the Bible, I just don't understand why people want to limit God to that. Well, actually, I do, it gives them control over God. But that belief leads to all sorts of misinterpretations, and puts the emphasis on ink on a page instead of the Living God, made manifest in Jesus of Nazareth, the Word of God. The Bible may be the word of God, but not the Word. We don't worship a book. At best, the Bible points to God, but it is not a god. But too many people practice idolatry with the Bible.

:golfclap:

:golfclap:

huzzah!
Merry Christmas, all.

Unless God has spoken in language that is accessible to us, we simply cannot know Who He is or what pleases Him or how to become rightly related to Him. All religion becomes the opinion and imagination of men. Religion has no validity apart from Divine revelation.

However if God has spoken we may know Who He is, who we are in His sight, what pleases and displeases Him and how to be rightly related to Him. We can also know truth and error, right and wrong.

The Bible is an amazing piece of literature. It records the history of God's dealings with mankind and of mankind's response to God...all from God's point of view. God reveals the worship that pleases Him often in beautiful majestic poetry. God provides indications of His plan for the world and proves its trustworthiness by prophesying events centuries prior to their fulfillment. Supremely God reveals how fallen humans are to be reconciled with Him. He reveals that He Himself will pay for their transgressions against Him and will give them peace with Himself through His incarnate Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Word of God is ultimately the revelation of Jesus Christ prophesied first in Genesis 3:16. The Bible traces His natural linage through Old Covenant history until He is born just as predicted and where predicted. The Bible reveals the Son of God living in this world showing the glory of God to the world along with the neediness of human lives. The Bible reveals man hating and rejecting Him, crucifying Him. The Bible reveals the mystery of God imputing sin to Christ on the cross and pouring upon Him the judgment those sins deserve. The Bible shows God satisfied by the propitiation of His Son and therefore raising Him from the dead and offering full forgiveness and justification to everyone who believes on Him. The Bible reveals Christ pouring out the Holy Spirit and through Him building His Church by making believers and gathering them together into local, worshiping assemblies throughout history and throughout the world. This work of building His church is on-going today as in the first century notwithstanding severe opposition and proves that Christ is Lord. The Bible reveals the end of the temporal history and gives glimpses into the world to come.

The Bible also reveals the character and conduct by which the Holy Spirit will distinguish those who are reconciled to God through faith in Christ from those who are not, even though they may be intensely religious.

Without the Bible we know that God exists but we know virtually nothing about Him or of a relationship with Him. We desperately need God's revelation by His Word.

Apart from revelation, religion is all the contrivance of human imagination. It is absurd to embrace any form of religion unless God Himself has spoken clearly in words accessible to us.
The differences among Christians who do in fact accept the Bible as the Word that God has given and preserved for us is due to the failure to take the Bible as a whole. The attempt to create 2 Bibles of the whole, the failure to interpret the Old Testament as preparatory to the New and the New as revealing the Old has given rise to several conflicting ideas. However the Bible is a whole; yet is a complex document. Simplistic approaches treating prophesy as history or poetry as didactic statements of doctrine, lead to confusion. Nonetheless the Bible is knowable and the Bible ultimately has one message: the whole of human salvation is in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, Who is the Lord and must be trusted and submitted to as such.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who created the world, entered the world of His own creatures as one of them. He placed Himself within the reach of death in order that by death He might redeem us to God.

Emmanuel: God with us. Rejoice there has been born unto us the Savior who is Christ the Lord. Whoever believes in Him shall not be put to shame.

The real story of Methuzelah is that he wasn't really 800 or 900 years old. He was actually 32 when he died. Being married to that woman made him look older.

Unless God has spoken in language that is accessible to us, we simply cannot know Who He is or what pleases Him or how to become rightly related to Him. All religion becomes the opinion and imagination of men. Religion has no validity apart from Divine revelation.

However if God has spoken we may know Who He is, who we are in His sight, what pleases and displeases Him and how to be rightly related to Him. We can also know truth and error, right and wrong.

The Bible is an amazing piece of literature. It records the history of God's dealings with mankind and of mankind's response to God...all from God's point of view. God reveals the worship that pleases Him often in beautiful majestic poetry. God provides indications of His plan for the world and proves its trustworthiness by prophesying events centuries prior to their fulfillment. Supremely God reveals how fallen humans are to be reconciled with Him. He reveals that He Himself will pay for their transgressions against Him and will give them peace with Himself through His incarnate Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Word of God is ultimately the revelation of Jesus Christ prophesied first in Genesis 3:16. The Bible traces His natural linage through Old Covenant history until He is born just as predicted and where predicted. The Bible reveals the Son of God living in this world showing the glory of God to the world along with the neediness of human lives. The Bible reveals man hating and rejecting Him, crucifying Him. The Bible reveals the mystery of God imputing sin to Christ on the cross and pouring upon Him the judgment those sins deserve. The Bible shows God satisfied by the propitiation of His Son and therefore raising Him from the dead and offering full forgiveness and justification to everyone who believes on Him. The Bible reveals Christ pouring out the Holy Spirit and through Him building His Church by making believers and gathering them together into local, worshiping assemblies throughout history and throughout the world. This work of building His church is on-going today as in the first century notwithstanding severe opposition and proves that Christ is Lord. The Bible reveals the end of the temporal history and gives glimpses into the world to come.

The Bible also reveals the character and conduct by which the Holy Spirit will distinguish those who are reconciled to God through faith in Christ from those who are not, even though they may be intensely religious.

Without the Bible we know that God exists but we know virtually nothing about Him or of a relationship with Him. We desperately need God's revelation by His Word.

Apart from revelation, religion is all the contrivance of human imagination. It is absurd to embrace any form of religion unless God Himself has spoken clearly in words accessible to us.
The differences among Christians who do in fact accept the Bible as the Word that God has given and preserved for us is due to the failure to take the Bible as a whole. The attempt to create 2 Bibles of the whole, the failure to interpret the Old Testament as preparatory to the New and the New as revealing the Old has given rise to several conflicting ideas. However the Bible is a whole; yet is a complex document. Simplistic approaches treating prophesy as history or poetry as didactic statements of doctrine, lead to confusion. Nonetheless the Bible is knowable and the Bible ultimately has one message: the whole of human salvation is in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, Who is the Lord and must be trusted and submitted to as such.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who created the world, entered the world of His own creatures as one of them. He placed Himself within the reach of death in order that by death He might redeem us to God.

Emmanuel: God with us. Rejoice there has been born unto us the Savior who is Christ the Lord. Whoever believes in Him shall not be put to shame.

Deep stuff here. Thanks.

Mebane- I expected some grade A bs in that post, but really wasn't bad. Though the idea of the prediction of the NT in OT just isn't supported by the text or sound theology, not to mention, terribly antisemitic. Too much emphasis on substitutionary atonement as well, but hey, that's your lens.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Sarah Palin admitted on Faux News that she hadn't read the article. She's completely behind him without knowing what Robertson actually said.

She takes idiocy to exponential levels.

Mebane, how do you feel about the Apocrypha?

This is a fairly thorough answer. I believe Rev06 will recognize it:

Article VI: Of the Sufficiency of the holy Scriptures for salvation

Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation. In the name of the holy Scripture, we do understand those Canonical books of the Old and New Testament, of whose authority was never any doubt in the Church.

Of the Names and Number of the Canonical Books
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
The First Book of Samuel
The Second Book of Samuel
The First Book of Kings
The Second Book of Kings The First Book of Chronicles
The Second Book of Chronicles
The First Book of Esdras
The Second Book of Esdras
The Book of Esther
The Book of Job
The Psalms
The Proverbs
Ecclesiastes or Preacher
Cantica, or Songs of Solomon
Four Prophets the greater
Twelve Prophets the less

And the other Books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners; but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine; such are these following:
The Third Book of Esdras
The Fourth Book of Esdras
The Book of Tobias
The Book of Judith
The rest of the Book of Esther
The Book of Wisdom
Jesus the Son of Sirach Baruch the Prophet
The Song of the Three Children
The Story of Susanna
Of Bel and the Dragon
The Prayer of Manasses
The First Book of Maccabees
The Second Book of Maccabees

All the Books of the New Testament, as they are commonly received, we do receive, and account them Canonical.

Amen to that, though I wouldn't strictly say no doctrine. Some of that stuff is more foundational than some canonical stuff (see Revelation, especially the middle).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well if I ever convert and go back to church it would be Revs church. Agree with many of the things you have said in this thread (and threads in the past). Wish more church leaders had your viewpoints.

Back