• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

That our fan support in football is far better than Duke. And it's not all that close. Especially relative to the size of each school
I agree with you there. I thought you were giving Duke fans shit for not filling up their stadium. Which…we as Wake fans should not be doing.

Wake fans are a mix of grads and locals. Our small size obviously hurts but also our alumni base is more and more scattered across the US than ever before. Wake used to be very regional. Good chunk of my class were NC people. The school made the decision to become more national and many more current students from outside NC. Could be a problem long term as the older wake grads start to pass away
How is attracting students from all areas of the country a bad thing? Football fan attendance aside, it elevates the reputation and reach of the university as a whole. Which no one should take any issue with.

Duke has a little more than 1,000 more undergrads than we do.
They aren’t all football fans, or athletics fans in general, though. Sure that the same applies to Wake. Not every single student likes or cares about football, regardless of how good the program is.

They aren’t all football fans, or athletics fans in general, though. Sure that the same applies to Wake. Not every single student likes or cares about football, regardless of how good the program is.
Yep. Schools much bigger than us with much more football tradition still have trouble filling their student sections at times in today’s world.

How is attracting students from all areas of the country a bad thing? Football fan attendance aside, it elevates the reputation and reach of the university as a whole. Which no one should take any issue with.
If you want to be a major player in college athletics, you can't put fan attendance aside.

You seem to have some sort of malfunction that prevents you from following a discussion. I mentioned it in regards to sports fandom and long term ability to attend games. I literally said nothing about that being a negative otherwise. Take a Xanax and chill out

Bill Dooley?? Had one good year (1992) and knew he was losing everyone to graduation. So he retired. We have a lot of talent on offense this year, but not at QB.
Dooley said several years after retirement that the main factor in leaving was the rejection of repeated requests for Admissions to be more flexible with admissions. He said no one in the athletics department, including the A.D., helped in this area. He made it clear he was not talking about kids who obviously didn't belong. It was more tutoring and giving scholarships to those who could promote the school and represent the school well in the public

You seem to have some sort of malfunction that prevents you from following a discussion. I mentioned it in regards to sports fandom and long term ability to attend games. I literally said nothing about that being a negative otherwise. Take a Xanax and chill out
I don’t medicate but can I have some of yours?

Dooley was 7-4 and 6-4-1 his first 2 years and we would have played in bowl games both years under the current system. We could have been in the Independence Bowl in 1988 if App hadn’t been pussies and gone for the tie. Cost us a bowl game and them the DIAA playoffs.
We made the Independence Bowl in 1992 and finished ranked 25
He inherited Elkins and Proel. Tell us about the other years.

They weren’t good. But you can’t say he only had one good year and discount the first two years because he inherited players. Why didn’t Groh win with those same players?

Dooley coached Wake for 6 seasons and had 3 winning seasons. Have any Wake coaches other than Walker, Stoll, and Clawson done that? Had more or equal winning seasons than losing?

Last edited:
Grobe had 5 winning seasons in his first 8 years (and then no more in his last 5)

Within ACC play, in the 71 years of the ACC, WF has had a winning record 10 times

Grobe three times
Dooley twice
Clawson, Mackovic, Cal Stoll, William Tate, Paul Amen once each

Let’s be clear…academics and football are no longer an obstacle within reason. There are many schools kicking our ass that are as tough to get in as us. I really hate it when times are bad we play the academic card…suck it up or get out.
And hasn’t been since at least Grobe. I was a tutor in the athletic dept.

My comment wasn't in comparison to now, but a reply to the previous Dooley post on his retirement. My point was he wouldn't have retired had he not lost his battle so many times with Admissions.

Last edited:
Back