• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke hiring Hemphill. The search for a new DC begins!

Maybe that means the new DC can bring his own staff.

Maybe that means the new DC can bring his own staff.
I'd hope that if Clawson goes outside his tree that would be the case. Much like a coach being able to decide on his entire staff in basketball, allowing coordinators to ensure they have the position coaches they want/need for their system seems optimal.

I'd hope that if Clawson goes outside his tree that would be the case. Much like a coach being able to decide on his entire staff in basketball, allowing coordinators to ensure they have the position coaches they want/need for their system seems optimal.
Clawson is a marvelous CEO. Never settles. Every year is how can we get better. Hang it.

Clawson is a marvelous CEO. Never settles. Every year is how can we get better. Hang it.

His long term commitment to the vision of building a program is absolutely exceptional. I mean we are truly light years ahead of where we were 8 years ago. Just for kicks I looked at 2014 and we were 3-9 with 6 straight losses in one stretch and got absolute beat downs from State (42-13) and Duke (41-21). It seems unimaginable now.

I’m all for shaking up the defensive side a bit. I think Cohen and Williams have done enough to stay. The jury is still out on Jones and Crawford. Good guys, good recruiters, but are they doing the job to Clawsons standards? That’s for him to decide. Should be interesting, but regardless, a couple new voices on the defensive side wouldn’t hurt.

Also, worth noting, Crawford and Hemphill were the only coaches not to announce players on signing day. I don’t know if that means anything or not

Also, worth noting, Crawford and Hemphill were the only coaches not to announce players on signing day. I don’t know if that means anything or not

The position coaches of the signees did the introductions. So the only real takeaway is that there were no signees to their position groups.

Please explain to me why our DC would leave for Duke?

Plenty of reasons:

He was going to get fired
Elko is going to get him more $$$
He wants to get rid of the stink of his stint as Wake DC.
Elko is a mover and shaker so Hemphill could be his DC at a big time job in a few years

would say it’s super unlikely hemphill had much of a choice here.

Look at the guys who know Elko's system. Clark Lea is now coach at Vandy. Santucci probably isn't leaving A&M for Duke. Most of the established guys who coached with Elko probably wont be leaving for Duke. Hemphill is an established coach who is familiar with Elko's system, and was soon to be available. This is Elko's first time coaching, so he may want some experienced college coaches around him to help him find his footing. Hemphill as a position coach is a good move for Duke. If we grabbed a former ACC Coordinator as a position coach we also would be happy. Now Hemphill gets to work with Elko, and potentially a good defense and get the chance to rebound.

Oh damn, I originally thought he was going to Duke as DC. Didn't realize he was taking a 2nd demotion to a position coach as well. Hell, sounding more like Clawson may have called Elko and asked him to take Hemphill off his hands.

From the WRAL article on Elko's press conference:
When asked to compare the challenges at Duke to the ones at Wake Forest — both small, private schools that struggle to compete in the ACC — he bristled at the comparison.

Elko: "We don't want to sell ourselves short. I think we want to have the ability to be a developmental program and take kids and make them everything that they can become. But I also think we have a very strong national brand and I think we want to go beat down doors and knock down doors across this country to find elite level athletes who want elite level academics and they're out there and they exist. And so we'll find a balance between between increasing our recruiting efforts and maybe bringing in some kids that can help right away with bringing in kids that are more developmental. And I think the difference between the two programs honestly is we have a national brand and we can go a lot of places across this country and sell what Duke football stands for."

Also Elko: <hires Wake Forest DC>

From the WRAL article on Elko's press conference:
When asked to compare the challenges at Duke to the ones at Wake Forest — both small, private schools that struggle to compete in the ACC — he bristled at the comparison.

Elko: "We don't want to sell ourselves short. I think we want to have the ability to be a developmental program and take kids and make them everything that they can become. But I also think we have a very strong national brand and I think we want to go beat down doors and knock down doors across this country to find elite level athletes who want elite level academics and they're out there and they exist. And so we'll find a balance between between increasing our recruiting efforts and maybe bringing in some kids that can help right away with bringing in kids that are more developmental. And I think the difference between the two programs honestly is we have a national brand and we can go a lot of places across this country and sell what Duke football stands for."

Also Elko: <hires Wake Forest DC>

Surprised he would take a sleight of hand shot @ Wake as if we don't have a national brand. Somewhat true but given his ties to Wake wouldn't think he would state it is as such. Duke's national brand is all due to bball so a bit naive to think he can recruit off that brand given their FB history, but fortunately for us Claw is going to give us a national brand if he stays @ WF.

Surprised he would take a sleight of hand shot @ Wake as if we don't have a national brand. Somewhat true but given his ties to Wake wouldn't think he would state it is as such. Duke's national brand is all due to bball so a bit naive to think he can recruit off that brand given their FB history, but fortunately for us Claw is going to give us a national brand if he stays @ WF.

I don't get the hand wringing over Elko's comments. He's directly competing with Wake for recruits.

Back