• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon (NWT, unfortunately)

Do you guys think Donahue overachieved or underachieved with that senior laden team + Reggie Jackson last year? People talk about him like he did a great job but he had a lot of talent on that team. Add to that if we had the type of combined recruiting classes he has had in 11 and 12 we'd be on suicide watch.

I think BC made a huge mistake joining the ACC. Both football and basketball are having huge dropoffs and I think it is definitely attributable to no longer having the draw of being in the Big East. Southern east coast kids that want to play in the ACC definitely don't want to go all the way up to Boston College to do it. And the kids up north would rather play in the Big East I'd imagine, and if not then they would want to end up at a place better than BC. With the Boston area being such a huge sports town I don't think they have a large fanbase and so you don't have a ton of kids growing up wanting to play there. And Conte Forum is awful. And obviously there's no natural regional rivalries in the conference

Totally off the cuff here, I could be dead wrong.

Don't think you're wrong at all.

Also think the same may happen to Syracuse.

Nice block by Gonzaga guy.

Washington State not the same without Klay Thompson apparently.

Well two more marquee BE basketball schools are joining the ACC with possibly more on the way. That BE draw in basketball wont last much longer as they continue to be decimated.

And anyway they came over in 2005... and both basketball and football have had decent success since then... in recruiting and on the field/court.

And anyway they came over in 2005... and both basketball and football have had decent success since then... in recruiting and on the field/court.

both basketball and football started well in the ACC but I think it's pretty clear they've been declining to the point where they've both bottomed out pretty badly this past year, and I just don't see it getting any better. Though you're right that could change with the addition of more big east teams

if y'all want to stay on topic instead feel free to tell me to stfu, but the BC conversation and WSU playing made me think: what do you think about Tony Bennett at Virginia?

I think Bennett's got the program going in the right direction and will be top half of the ACC pretty consistently for the next few years IMO.

I honestly do not know. I'm really interested to see how they do this year.

Yeah I think Bennett is a good coach. Recruiting has been solid as well, I think he will bring some stability there for a while.

I tend to think he's good at getting the best out of his guys on the floor, but I don't think he recruits well enough to make them more than a solid side that's usually on the NCAA bubble. I don't think the players he has are all that good and I don't see the incoming class and next year's class being that different

I tend to think he's good at getting the best out of his guys on the floor, but I don't think he recruits well enough to make them more than a solid side that's usually on the NCAA bubble. I don't think the players he has are all that good and I don't see the incoming class and next year's class being that different

That's about where I am.

He's going to need to coach well and develop players well. It can be done, it has been done, but yet to be seen if he can do it.

For the most part, Wisconsin doesn't get elite talent either, but they're always solid. Purdue is similar. But yet to be seen if Bennett can make Virginia that or not.

I think in the optimistic view Bennett could be capable of building a Wisconsin type program at UVA. I guess I agree a lot still remains to be seen.

That's about where I am.

He's going to need to coach well and develop players well. It can be done, it has been done, but yet to be seen if he can do it.

For the most part, Wisconsin doesn't get elite talent either, but they're always solid. Purdue is similar. But yet to be seen if Bennett can make Virginia that or not.

I'd actually put Purdue in a notch above UVA and Wisconsin recently in recruiting but I otherwise agree with you. I too am interested to see how Bennett does at UVA. You would think with that great arena that he will do well. Having success at WSU isn't exactly easy so the guy can obviously coach.

I don't know what to make of his time at Wazzu. His last year was his worst one, and his first year they finished 2nd, so obviously they had some talent when he took over.

Pangos is gonna get the single game 3's record in his first start.

Marcus Capers can get up...have always been waiting for him to diversify his game. Still waiting, unfortunately.

I do think Virginia has a lot to work with, with the new facility there and general proximity to an awful lot of recruits, even though basketball recruiting isn't as regional as football.

Pangos is absolutely dominating out there, 8-11 from three with 26 points in his second ever college game. He's got 5 assists to go along with it.

Back