• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon (NWT, unfortunately)

Pangos is absolutely dominating out there, 8-11 from three with 26 points in his second ever college game. He's got 5 assists to go along with it.

He'd be having a great game even if he had made 4 of 11. And even his misses look good.

I don't know if he's just having a great night or if he's really this good. If he's really this good, I have significantly underestimated Gonzaga. I did not know about this guy, and I thought they'd be decent but nothing special this year.

Trying to get away from the stress of this term paper I have for a little bit, I continued on my little coaches theme and took a look at something that really annoys me, how the Big East has much better coaches than the ACC. Leonard Hamilton might be the third best coach in the ACC for God's sake. Here's how I ranked them. Tough for me to rank the order of the Big East coaches but you get the idea. You look at the differences in the coaching and it's pretty plain to see why the ACC is so down. It pains me how much better the Big East is. I've got that old fashioned ACC pride in me

ACC coaches

elite tier:

1. Coach K
2. Roy

second tier:

12. Mark Turgeon (should be good could be really good)
14. Leonard Hamilton
15. Gottfried (I think he's very much boom or bust, right now booming but obviously it's very, very early. As a fan who's suffered through a ton of awful bball though I'm diving in the koolaid at the moment)
17. Jim Larranega
18. Brownell
19. Greenburg
20. Bennett

third tier:

Bzz
Donahue
Gregory

Big East

Elite tier:

3. Dixon
4. Calhoun
5. Pitino
6. Boeheim
7. Jay Wright
8. Bob Huggins

Second tier:

9. John Thompson III
10. Buzz Williams
11. Mike Brey
13. Steve Lavin
16. Mick Cronin (iffy on him but I think he'd definitely be considered second tier with his results if he were in the ACC)

third tier:

Purnell
Willard
Mike Rice Jr
Ed Cooley
Stan Heath

Geez Pangos.... how does Few consistently bring in these bad ass under the radar guards?

A couple of guys on both sides that I think it's too early to tell about (in particular Brownell who I love and Mike Rice) but in general I think this is right.

But hey, 3 of those coaches won't be in the Big East in a couple of years, which won't make the Big East terrible, but it'll bring them back to earth a bit.

I don't think Dixon, Huggins and Wright belong on the same tier as Calhoun, Pitino and Boeheim.

I also think you need a 4th tier for ACC where Bzzz is all by himself.

Boy Wazzu has really gotten it together here. Seems like Gonzaga passed up a few shots when they were up 15 and Wazzu has just kept coming at them.

Why are players not taught to close out with their left hand up against a right hander? Pangos wouldn't have committed the foul there if he had challenged with the left, and he would have been in better position to bother the shot and box out.

See it a lot.

Sacre should be an NBA player if only for his ability to make free throws for a big man and throw the hook.

Those two abilities alone should earn him a check.

Sacre should be an NBA player if only for his ability to make free throws for a big man and throw the hook.

Those two abilities alone should earn him a check.

Yep. Couple that with him being 7'0 and weighing 260 he should translate pretty well to the NBA.

With the Boston area being such a huge sports town I don't think they have a large fanbase and so you don't have a ton of kids growing up wanting to play there. And Conte Forum is awful. And obviously there's no natural regional rivalries in the conference

Totally off the cuff here, I could be dead wrong.

Most of your post was pretty accurate, but they have a pretty large fanbase. College sports in New England fucking suck. There's UConn or there's BC, unless you want to follow FCS or Division II teams or basketball-only schools. (I grew up following PC basketball, so... yeah.)

As for natural regional rivalries, yeah, there aren't any (though there weren't really any in the Big East, either, and 'Cuse joining the ACC will bring one back). But remember why BC came to the ACC in the first place-- they were tagging along with Miami to preserve that rivalry, if I remember correctly.

Boston College beat a Stetson-level New Hampshire team by 3 tonight. They are an underdog @ Holy Cross on Friday.

Richmond lost @ Davidson by 13. That's a winnable game for us this year.

I was at the Davidson-Richmond game last night. Richmond clearly lost a ton off of their Sweet 16 team last year. Their best player is a little 5'8'' freshman guard. He's a waterbug--really quick, and he shoots a ton of little floaters in the lane that seem to find their way in.

Overall, though, Richmond wasn't very impressive. They've got some athletes, but Davidson outrebounded them by 12. Frankly, Davidson could (and probably should) have won by more, but the officiating in the second half was terrible. Richmond was in the bonus with more than 15 minutes left in the half, and they were able to keep it close by getting to the foul line. Richmond spent most of the game playing a matchup zone to keep Davidson from getting three-point shots, so Davidson kept pounding the ball inside, which seemed to work pretty well (6'10'' forward Jake Cohen had 22 points and 8 rebounds while 6'7'' forward DeMon Brooks had 14 and 7). McKie can do damage in the paint against these guys, and Desrosiers should have some opportunities as well.

This is the best Davidson team since Curry left, and essentially all of the major contributors are juniors and sophomores. Still, Wake can beat this Richmond team.

Kent St and West Virginia in a good one. Tied at 41 with just over 15 minutes to play. Kent State currently on a run.

Justin Manns, an East Forsyth High School alum, starts at Center for Kent State.

WVU's kids are getting some tough competition early in their careers. Two veteran teams, Senderoff is a hard nosed coach taking over for a guy that recruits tough and physical players, and a lot of veteran players.

Kilicli has to be better.

Kent St now up 45-41 and WVU just can't get a bucket. Their half court offense is abysmal.

Senderoff called it right.

WVU making silly mistakes, taking early shots, rushing it...generally, crumbling.

One of the vets needs to step up and take control of the situation or this is going to be non-competitive soon.

Kent St up 10 now with 10 to go. This is quickly becoming a blowout.

Back