• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

can you please report to the thread the police presence in your neighborhood and the violent crime rate so I have some context regarding your personal experience with police and crime in your immediate community?

Is this how people that want to solve problems discuss them? It's not a problem unless you've actually seen it with your own two eyes?

Do you have any penguins living the wild in your neighborhood? Do you believe in penguins?

If they gave a merit badge for strawman making, you guys would all be Eagle Scouts.

Government of any size isn't going to fix the problems that have caused this violent crime epidemic. In fact, government is enabling the problem.

I was defending you. Not sure why you are overreacting to that defense.

I am fully aware, but thank you for this very relevant detour.

I am sure that I could come up with 20 other things that you guys are good at. You might not like that list either.

So are we ready to get back to talking about violent crime or is that too #uncomfortable?

Ok, I believe that violet crime is caused by poverty, the war on drugs, and waaaaaaaaay to many guns in our society. What do you believe it is cause by? Lack of police? Too many bazookas?

lol

it has nothing to do with whether or not I believe these things exists

it's all about how I think the problem is prevented in the first place

but you know that

Is this how people that want to solve problems discuss them? It's not a problem unless you've actually seen it with your own two eyes?

Do you have any penguins living the wild in your neighborhood? Do you believe in penguins?

Moar unassailable analogies from the conservatives. This is good stuff.

Why do people have such concern about violent crime within a group of people that doesn’t effect them and they don’t seem to give a shit about anything else such as poverty, education, shelter, hunger and so forth. It’s like the middle of nowhere fucks worried about international terrorists when the targets are always urban places they don’t go not their local dollar store.

Ok, I believe that violet crime is caused by poverty, the war on drugs, and waaaaaaaaay to many guns in our society. What do you believe it is cause by? Lack of police? Too many bazookas?

A lack of economic opportunities and catastrophic failure of leadership structure.

we're closing the gap here

the problem, as I see it, is that we have the most advanced economy in the world and strongest GDP in global history

and yet -- there are lots of people left behind and unable to make a living wage and the gap is expanding

so what do we make of the fact that the world's most prodigious economy ever simply doesn't need everyone to be involved to continue its march forward?

A lack of economic opportunities and catastrophic failure of leadership structure.

Ok, that's a start. Good. Poverty and "lack of economic opportunity" are at least in the same vein of underlying factor, so we aren't worlds apart here.

With these as your core causes, shouldn't we look for actions that address the core? How do police officers on the ground actually address lack of economic opportunity or leadership failures? I'd say, they do nothing to address the first cause and they probably exacerbate the second by re-enforcing the existing failing leadership and power structure.

Ok, that's a start. Good. Poverty and "lack of economic opportunity" are at least in the same vein of underlying factor, so we aren't worlds apart here.

With these as your core causes, shouldn't we look for actions that address the core? How do police officers on the ground actually address lack of economic opportunity or leadership failures? I'd say, they do nothing to address the first cause and they probably exacerbate the second by re-enforcing the existing failing leadership and power structure.

We can do that, but looking at prevention (re-building leadership structures and improving economic opportunities) than treating the downstream curative effects (policing policy) seems like a better place to start. If we're counting on the police response to reverse the course of a person's life who's already committed to a career of violence, it's too late.

There are plenty of places that have a lot more guns than economic opportunities. Not all of them are stricken with epidemic crime. The difference is leadership. The most obvious example is Fort Bragg, which is full of heavily armed young people who don't make a lot of money. But they have leadership, accountability, structure and hope for the future. Some of those poor, heavily armed people grow up to be some of our greatest Americans. Because they were well led and they have a belief in the future.

When the leadership structure crumbles, look out.

Why do you think the leadership structure is crumbling in Detroit, St. Louis, Memphis, Baltimore and Springfield, Missouri (the five most dangerous cities in America, per this CBS article)?

Moar unassailable analogies from the conservatives. This is good stuff.

The right is getting better at analogies and it’s making the SAT nervous.

Why do people have such concern about violent crime within a group of people that doesn’t effect them and they don’t seem to give a shit about anything else such as poverty, education, shelter, hunger and so forth. It’s like the middle of nowhere fucks worried about international terrorists when the targets are always urban places they don’t go not their local dollar store.

Well said. Not only that, they don’t care about the victims of crime. Instead they lump the victims in with the criminals to be overpoliced.

yeesh

a military base as the example of what society should look like

F is for Fascism indeed

Kill someone locally...crime epidemic. Kill a Brown person across the globe?...an American hero!

Last edited:
yeesh

a military base as the example of what society should look like

F is for Fascism indeed

It is a great example of leadership in action. I'd much rather live on a Fort Bragg than in a crime-riddled neighborhood, and it's not even close.

It’s always a (feigned) concern about violent crime with those people they’ll never interact with in “burning” cities they only see on tv. It’s basically the “immigrant caravan” again.

They don’t care about punishing crime in general, otherwise they’d want the book thrown at tax dodgers and white collar criminals.

They also don’t care about the most egregious example of violent crime against our country in years. In fact they’re excusing it.

Back