• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I have already committed to a life of violence so I can’t say any more here

for those of you keeping score: the ideal city is now: live under martial law with communist style job descriptions where crimes like mental abuse and rape are ignored

checkmate, Plato

No crime? Never the standard. Come back with those goalposts.

Giving people who don't have resources, structure, leadership and opportunity? Nobody is better.

This military base utopia you describe is run entirely by the government. Go to hell commie.

for those of you keeping score: the ideal city is now: live under martial law with communist style job descriptions where crimes like mental abuse and rape are ignored

checkmate, Plato

Well thank you for listening to absolutely nothing that was said that didn't fit what your tender ears wanted to here. Why so sopht?

This military base utopia you describe is run entirely by the government. Go to hell commie.

That one example is, of course. The military base example only shows the value of leadership in the lives of people who don't otherwise have resources. The government doesn't have any monopoly on leadership. It's lazy to say "violent crime is caused by poverty and guns." Bullshit. There a millions of law abiding, armed, poor people. The variable we can change is the presence or absence of leadership.

That one example is, of course. The military base example only shows the value of leadership in the lives of people who don't otherwise have resources. The government doesn't have any monopoly on leadership. It's lazy to say "violent crime is caused by poverty and guns." Bullshit. There a millions of law abiding, armed, poor people. The variable we can change is the presence or absence of leadership.

Let me guess, “presence of leadership” = more police. So that society can be run like a military base. Sounds like a totally normal level of freedom. This is definitely a clearer view of what you want than your prior nebulous “two parent household” policy advocacy though.

We've spent 70 years been pumping trillions of dollars of poverty relief to places that are overrun with crime. How's it going?

“Overrun” now. “Epidemic” before. The language is escalating. Almost sounds convincing if you keep repeating it.

It is a great example of leadership in action. I'd much rather live on a Fort Bragg than in a crime-riddled neighborhood, and it's not even close.

that may be true

but that's a heavy-handed way of life and devoid of much of the "liberty" and "freedom" that many people want for themselves

It is a great example of leadership in action. I'd much rather live on a Fort Bragg than in a crime-riddled neighborhood, and it's not even close.

Maybe you already know this, but this looks like you are suggesting that we need military style authoritarian leadership in America's cities.

Let's not let that distract from what started as progress towards a discussion. Why does leadership fail in so many urban environments and how to we fix that?

Let me guess, “presence of leadership” = more police. So that society can be run like a military base. Sounds like a totally normal level of freedom. This is definitely a clearer view of what you want than your prior nebulous “two parent household” policy advocacy though.

You guess wrong. Leadership certainly starts at home but when your family doesn't provide it people find it in community organizations. Churches, scouting, youth sports, volunteer work.

We've spent 70 years been pumping trillions of dollars of poverty relief to places that are overrun with crime. How's it going?

Probably about as well as pumping 10x that amount over the same time period into cutting taxes and waiting for bootstraps to trickle down.

We’ve spent 70 years spending trillions on killing Black and Brown people under the guise of democracy. How’s it going?

Back