• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake slide

I think it's rich that Pitt fans are now all up in arms, bitching and griping over a QB slide. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Maybe magic is happening this season after all.

Having sat amongst that bunch of reprobates for 3 hours in CLT, them getting fucked over by the refs in a Wake game is poetic justice!

So I have a Pitt buddy that i talked some trash to after the game and one thing I learned is that Pitt fans like to drink a beer called "Fake Slide" and that part of the profits of fake slide beer goes to the Pitt NIL fund. I thought that was lame and brilliant all at the same time.

Thanks for sharing this. I wondered where the QB was when he started the slide.

I wonder if any of the officiating crew worked our ACC championship game, especially the official that made this call.

What is the "intent of the rule" that this goes so clearly goes against? Isn't the intent of the rule to prevent QB's from faking a slide?

And isn't this something that would usually happen to Wake?

No idea. The intent is so defensive players back off once a QB starts a slide. The fake slide should have been called down for the same reason. The slide rule is about player safety.

Once you drop your shoulder, you’re either diving forward and ready for a hit pro you’re starting your slide.

Once you drop your shoulder, you’re either diving forward and ready for a hit pro you’re starting your slide.
Iowa attempted a fake fair catch at the end of the Gopher game today and returned it for a TD...until the refs overturned it and put it back where he caught it.

Only reason I bring it up is because it's similar in that players are trying to exploit rules that were put into the game for their safety.

I still wanna know how Pitt and Pickett were so good a couple of years ago. He had been pretty meh for 3 years. And clearly they suck after. Was it all Addison?

No idea. The intent is so defensive players back off once a QB starts a slide. The fake slide should have been called down for the same reason. The slide rule is about player safety.
I would say the intent is to avoid hitting the QB and to make him defenseless. Assuming that to be the case, the moment he makes himself defenseless is where the ball should be spotted. You don't get an extra 2-3 yards; you've declared yourself down and as such, should not be hit. If you start giving the ball where the knee hits after you've started sliding, you'll see QB's start jumping into their slide to get further downfield while still being "defenseless".

It seems refs continually error on the side of not giving yards in these situations. That's been pretty consistent in all the games I've watched in both college and NFL. I have OGB glasses on, but it does seem the ref called it when he initiated the slide. The fact he had 5 yards of open air in front of him didn't factor into the decision, nor should it.

I still wanna know how Pitt and Pickett were so good a couple of years ago. He had been pretty meh for 3 years. And clearly they suck after. Was it all Addison?

Was it Adderall?

Thought about this thing some more:
For this particular play, totally disregard the score of the game, time left on the clock, where the first down marker was, and how close the Wake defenders were to him: if you just took a video of the QB's slide from start to finish, at what point in that process of sliding would it be considered a personal foul (and likely ejection) if a Wake defender had totally de-cleted him? I can almost guarantee you if one of our LB's had hit him just short of the 1st down marker after he had started his slide it would have been a PF; certainly in Narducci's view, The fact that his slide was merely to accomplish getting to the 1st down stick vs. protecting him from injury is immaterial. In fact, I'd go further to say that maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt if his slide was clearly to avoid getting hit; in this case out guys were several steps away so it was only to get past the sticks and he failed.
I do think this particular play will be Exhibit A for the offseason in determining when a slide is considered down.

Yesterday the football gods actually smiled on Wake Forest. We get the sweet revenge on PITT, not just the win but a botched QB slide play that enabled us to have the chance to win. Then undefeated and Top 10 ranked UNC loses at home to a 1-5 UVa team, whose only other win was against W&M. Then Duke gets knocked further out of the media lovefest by losing to FSU.

Really a one in a million if not higher chance that slide would happen and against Pitt. Kinda spooky really. God has to be a Wake fan. What goes around . . .

Narduzzi's presser is great fun. Lots of complaining about the officiating but he admitted he didn't have a good view of the slide and didn't really take issue with that one. Of course he would have no credibility if he did. . . .

Narduzzi's presser is great fun. Lots of complaining about the officiating but he admitted he didn't have a good view of the slide and didn't really take issue with that one. Of course he would have no credibility if he did. . . .

That guy seems like a major douche. Funny how coaches can sometimes match a fanbase just perfectly.

Back