• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake slide

Or number 30 for Wake Forest could just tackle him and complete the easy sack and loss of 8 yards.

Instead of another whiff like UNC game style whiffs.

The problem is you don't care if he is sliding or not. In a big game you crush him and take the penalty. If you knock him out of the game it's over. Who cares about the 15 yards

That’s a fair point.

If they want to "protect" the QB with the slide, then the rule should be any movement he makes that even looks in the slightest that he is sliding causes the play to be dead at that point. Yes, it might hurt the QB's ability to juke or whatever, but that's the price of protecting the QB.

Bottom line, as I posted earlier, the QB can't have it both ways. Any sliding motion, whistle must be blown in the future. And if the player does fake and continues the play, then use the delay of game penalty and I would even add loss of down.

But much higher importance is the fake injury. It was obvious this was Pitt's game-plan. Between the fake slide and the fake injuries, I came away with much less respect for Narduzzi and Pitt. They won. But, it felt kind of sleazy to be honest.

Last edited:
He’s going to try that in the NFL now and someone is going to end him

The Syracuse QB used a very similar tactic: would run straight to the sideline like he was going out of bounds then cut back in to try to draw late hit penalties. Our backing off earned him extra yards on multiple occasions

I agree with all on this thread. The fake slide will get a rule to be down. What rule could there be to discourage fake injuries?

TFG:

Narduzzi doesn't believe Pickett did anything wrong.

"To me, I coach our defensive guys to finish the play," Narduzzi said. "If [the quarterback] goes down, a lot of times we slide over the top of them. It's just being a football player. You have to finish the play. There's a thing called a whistle, and when the whistle blows, you stop. Until then, you have to gather up, and if the quarterback slides too late. ... We have seen guys slide too late and the quarterback gets scraped up and tattooed a little bit. It's part of the game."

Narduzzi added the play isn't something the coaching staff teaches.

"We never practice it," he said. "It wasn't like we said, 'Today we're going to fake slide.' It was a football play. And Kenny Pickett is the best, and that's why he's a champion."

I agree with all on this thread. The fake slide will get a rule to be down. What rule could there be to discourage fake injuries?

Longer time out of the game for injured players. Trip to the locker room for medical exam. League provided doctor as part of game officials.

I mean didn't his ankle or calf make contact with the ground on that little skid. So even then isn't he down?

Can we please stop bitching and moaning about this fake slide nonsense? Pickett made a heads up play in the moment, and at present, did not commit any penalty whatsoever. He caught all our defensive players flat footed, and we paid the price. If Hartman had done the same thing, we’d be praising him nonstop and saying how awesome a play it was (including calling all Pitt fans whiny assholes). Let’s call a spade a spade and tip our caps to Pickett. Not everything bad that happens in a Wake football game is a reason to start a message board thread complaining about it. Just move on folks. It’s not the reason we lost last night - it was one freaking play.

Hey guys I’m going to complain and bitch for people to stop complaining about a a legal move that had no impact on the game but was still something unique that occurred in the game that the rest of the country has talked about because of its uniqueness and how it should be made a penalty, so please listen to my bitching about your complaining.

Can we please stop bitching and moaning about this fake slide nonsense? Pickett made a heads up play in the moment, and at present, did not commit any penalty whatsoever. He caught all our defensive players flat footed, and we paid the price. If Hartman had done the same thing, we’d be praising him nonstop and saying how awesome a play it was (including calling all Pitt fans whiny assholes). Let’s call a spade a spade and tip our caps to Pickett. Not everything bad that happens in a Wake football game is a reason to start a message board thread complaining about it. Just move on folks. It’s not the reason we lost last night - it was one freaking play.

Definitely not the reason we lost and Pitt played outstanding on the Defensive side of the ball. A lot of social media talk about this play and not just from Wake folks who disagree with it. I think it opens up a can of worms though for sure. The Pitt Qb is a helluva player and I wish him well. He tries that on Sundays, his ass gonna get put down.

I still think a huge hit on a star qb is worth whatever penalty you get. If I was a NFL defensive coordinator I would do the "Replacements " defensive play on Tom Brady on the first play of the game every time

Injured players should have to sit out the entire series. It wouldn't hurt players who are actually injured to take the time and it would make teams think more about if it is worth missing several plays to fake an injury.

Back