• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FiveThirtyEight midterms projections update: Republicans favored to take the Senate

lol. You know I am not one of those guys. I just get tired of people complaining about how conservative we are as a country. We are who we are. Comparing ourselves to Sweden/Germany/France is pointless. We aren't and never will be a country like Sweden/Germany/France. All we can judge ourselves by is in fact ourselves. Comparison politics doesn't work because of the exact reasons brought up earlier. There is no nation like us, and there never will be (because we would never allow another country to do the things we did which gave us our advantage...mainly eliminate and marginalize an indigenous population and over run our neighbors in order to take advantage of all the geographical advantages of North America.

The reality is that we are a pretty good mix of conservative and liberal philosophies as a country, and that has a lot to do with our success. Any nation with that holds too closely to either sector of the political sphere eventually runs into major problems. I think the last 16 years has been a good example of that. We have swung from the far right to the far left (not commie libs left, but clearly left when Dems held all three seats of power) and I don't think either the Pubs or the Dems time in power have been particularly well spent. We are better off with a balanced government that works together. The dems spent the last 4 years of the Bush presidency hammering Bush and it worked to get Obama and the rest of the Dems elected. Pubs learned a lesson and took even further and are trying to do the same thing. It is a bad cycle, and it is going to take the American electorate to stop it. I doubt we have the stamina to do so.

Billy_Madison_s_Principal_Responds_to_Vi_191870002_thumbnail.jpg

The first paragraph is just typical 'murica jingoism. We can't compare ourselves to anyone but ourselves? Horses#!t. We can and should study how other countries have successfully handled problems when they are similar to American problems. Healthcare is far and away the #1 example. Gun control is a close second. Drug policy is up there. Social policy for supporting working mothers. Britain's reform of its welfare system to move to something closer to a universal minimum income. Taxation systems like the VAT and a territorial corporate taxation system. The list is very, very long.

That does not mean, and no one but you has suggested, wholesale adoption of some other country's political system. It means getting our collective heads out of our jingoistic butts and realizing that there are better ways to do things than the 'murica way.

As for the second paragraph, I am in agreement that the current two party system is badly broken and not functioning to do anything positive for our country. In many other countries in analogous situations of prolonged government gridlock, before things ever got this bad, people recognized there was a problem with the underlying operating system and acted to change it, by adopting a new constitution or other measures. We have too much Constitution-worshiping in this country. The US Constitution is an astoundingly important historical document, but it is showing its age very, very badly. The Founding Fathers never could have anticipated the impact of the 24-hour news cycle, the internet, and precision gerrymandering on the system they created.

clapping-gif24.gif

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Winston Churchill

I really get the feeling that you are just not very intelligent.

it's interesting how liberal you are now that you live in yankeeland. and you were conservative when in winston-salem.

be funny if your career took you to kansas or something. probably become conservative again.

it's interesting how liberal you are now that you live in yankeeland. and you were conservative when in winston-salem.

be funny if your career took you to kansas or something. probably become conservative again.

When was I ever conservative?

I've pretty much held the same political beliefs since I was a sophomore in college. I've become increasingly more angry about the GOP in light of the Tea Party emergence and the idiocy over the past few years but I've never been conservative.

Wow

Such extreme

So vote

Very democracy

Much ChrisL68

Dude, I must have done something to get inside your head.

For the record, I am sure that batshit crazy Ben Carson has some positions I agree with too.

Dude, I must have done something to get inside your head.

For the record, I am sure that batshit crazy Ben Carson has some positions I agree with too.

I found the "extremist" thing pretty annoying. I think it's really lazy. And since the link was from your not-boi Bernie Sanders...

Last edited:
I found the "extremist" thing pretty annoying. I think it's really lazy. And since the link was from your not-boi Bernie Sanders...

Seems pretty accurate to me. In the american political landscape, Bernie's views are to the extreme left. Hence extremist, Whatevers.

Reid and Pelosi need to step down from the leadership. No chance they will because they are egotistical blowhards that care way too much about themselves, but they should step down. Just awful, awful leadership from those two clowns.

Obama's approval rating is around 40% and Congress' approval rating is around 10%. With 'Pubs completely in charge of Congress, the approval rating isn't going to magically jump to 80%. Despite that, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner, and McConnell all easily remained in their "leadership" positions. We're all hosed.

Leaders don't work for "congress" they work for their caucuses.

Pelosi is a really good leader. McConnell is the greatest strategist of our time (sobcry). The other two....

what a stupid article. It is rare that I read something and cannot find any common ground or empathy for the writer's position, but this is that rare article.

The only thing I can say that kind of agrees with him is that I think another federal holiday on the 2d Tuesday of November is a bad idea - much better to have voting on the first Saturday in November instead, to avoid the additional cost to the economy of a mandated holiday.

Yeah I stopped here: "If Bernie Sanders has his way, “Democracy Day” will be the crowning holiday of America’s dystopian future."

Can someone just tell me if the drivel gets any better or is worth a read?

Back