• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fla. Sociology professor tweets Texans deserved Harvey for supporting Trump

It not just conservatives. Our local left wing is furious at our city council and officials for permitting the Klan and other various and sundry white supremacists to march in Cville and for not having already taken down the Lee & Jackson statues. .

These are two completely different issues. As someone who isn't familiar, what's the legal case for the city not being able to take down the statutes?

Yes, they complain when it's a state school (or only have a valid argument if it is.) The state school can't do that. Period. You know this. These same people, as private citizens or groups, can campaign for whatever they want. You're conflating two entirely different things.

Did you miss the whole Google guy getting fired controversy? Did I miss the government taking over Google?

Hopefully Ann Coulter is canned for saying Texas deserved it for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. Of course she is applauded for that on the right, so she will not be.

Canned from what? Does Ann Coulter have a job?

Edit: I don't think you can get fired if you make your living trolling.

Last edited:
Did you miss the whole Google guy getting fired controversy? Did I miss the government taking over Google?

They're a private company. They can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. What are you talking about?

They're a private company. They can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. What are you talking about?

Funny-CrossFit-Videos.jpg

Hopefully Ann Coulter is canned for saying Texas deserved it for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. Of course she is applauded for that on the right, so she will not be.

Isn't she self employed?

Isn't she self employed?

Other companies shouldn't hire her. Anyone who pays her for a speaking engagement is asking for trouble. Her "free speech" doesn't preclude others from utilizing theirs to challenging hers.

BKF journal entry
8/29/17
4:15 PM

Dear Diary,

PH has 28 posts today SO FAR today. Can you believe that?!?!? lol. I can't believe it. He must waste so much time. How does he have all that time? I can't wait to really give him a hard time about this tomorrow, and then more next week.

XOXO,
BKF
Lol

Other companies shouldn't hire her. Anyone who pays her for a speaking engagement is asking for trouble. Her "free speech" doesn't preclude others from utilizing theirs to challenging hers.

Oh absolutely agree. If you don't like whatever it is she says, like that idiotic tweet, challenge her, implore groups not to pay her to speak or buy her books. I'm all for speaking or protesting within the boundaries of non-violence and the law.

I'm trying to figure out when conservatives are for free speech and when they aren't.

Judging by the proliferation of speech codes and bands of masked thugs on college campuses, I think it is safe to say they are better positioned on the issue compared to their progressive opponents.

Imagine a professor advocating for the following:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/08/the-war-on-standards-shoot-the-messenger-edition.php

Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.

For her efforts she get the following response:

“These cultural values and logics are steeped in anti-blackness and white hetero-patriarchal respectability, i.e. two-hetero-parent homes, divorce is a vice, and the denouncement of all
groups perceived as not acting white enough i.e. black Americans, Latino communities, and immigrants in particular.”

Of course, the usual suspects want her investigated for being guilty of "white supremacy." You can't make this stuff up.

Fortunately, the lady is not for turning:

What the objections boil down to is that the bourgeois virtues are somehow racist, or somehow cause racism—contentions that I and my co-author expressly contest, of course. But if, indeed, bourgeois values are so racist, the progressive critics should be out there in the street demonstrating against them, stripping them from their own lives, and forbidding their children to practice them.

They should be chanting, ‘No more work, more crime, more out of wedlock babies, forget thrift, let’s get high!’ … Of course, there’s little chance we’re going to see anything like that, which shows the hollowness, indeed the silliness, of the critiques.

This is what we call the culture war.

Last edited:
Yes. The right to free speech does not protect an employee from losing his/her job if the employer objects to what the employee says. Most employees are at-will, and they can be fired for any reason or no reason.

Yes and anyone that feels inclined to throw that drivel out there deserves to be fired.

I thought the rule was if your first post doesn't condemn those whose speech you disagree with then you support them. At least that is the rule on the white supremacy thread.

Are you saying PhDeac:FL Professor thread::Junebug:White supremacist thread?

I would hope you're not saying that because I am a FL professor.

Judging by the proliferation of speech codes and bands of masked thugs on college campuses, I think it is safe to say they are better positioned on the issue compared to their progressive opponents.

Imagine a professor advocating for the following:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/08/the-war-on-standards-shoot-the-messenger-edition.php

Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.

For her efforts she get the following response:

“These cultural values and logics are steeped in anti-blackness and white hetero-patriarchal respectability, i.e. two-hetero-parent homes, divorce is a vice, and the denouncement of all
groups perceived as not acting white enough i.e. black Americans, Latino communities, and immigrants in particular.”

Of course, the usual suspects want her investigated for being guilty of "white supremacy." You can't make this stuff up.

Fortunately, the lady is not for turning:

What the objections boil down to is that the bourgeois virtues are somehow racist, or somehow cause racism—contentions that I and my co-author expressly contest, of course. But if, indeed, bourgeois values are so racist, the progressive critics should be out there in the street demonstrating against them, stripping them from their own lives, and forbidding their children to practice them.

They should be chanting, ‘No more work, more crime, more out of wedlock babies, forget thrift, let’s get high!’ … Of course, there’s little chance we’re going to see anything like that, which shows the hollowness, indeed the silliness, of the critiques.

This is what we call the culture war.

God forbid that Democratic politicians and Black leaders would ever talk these things which would lead to real solutions of problems that some black people face today when they can continue to feed them the pablum that they are doing nothing wrong in the way some of them are conducting the personal responsibilities in their lives and it is really this imaginary "systemic racism" that is causing all of their problems. And, evidently, board liberals have also bought this tripe hook, line & sinker. It is always easier to create an imaginary boogeyman than to make the effort to address the real problems one is trying to solve. We have been doing that in this situation for decades now.

This has worked out well for Democratic politicians (Black votes keep rolling in) and for some Black leaders (money keeps rolling in).....but it has done nothing to help the people whose interest they claim to be concerned about.

bkf, you say systemic racism is imaginary. How do you respond to this study that finds that employers are much more likely to grant an interview to people with white sounding names than people with black sounding names despite identical resumes? Specifically that a white name is equal to roughly 8 years of work experience in terms of getting callbacks.

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

Back