• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football practice report

CJ Leak, Fred Staton, and Jason Anderson were supposed to be our version of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin.

What was the deal with Fred? I feel like he didn't pan out for some reason, but memories are a bit hazy.

Jason Anderson broke the UVA streak- will forgive all other misgivings because of that.

Yeah. I don't remember that either. He had some good games when he got on the field.

Looked it up and he had to sit out for academics and never came back.

Yeah. I don't remember that either. He had some good games when he got on the field.

Looked it up and he had to sit out for academics and never came back.

He also had a tendency to get fat during offseasons.

Ironic that the Fred Staton news has popped up. I was just thinking about the similarities between Josh Harris and him. Both appeared to be impact freshman who never seemed to get better, had problems staying healthy, and ultimately, were done in by academics (TBD with Josh).

I remember going to the App game in Grobe's first year and being really impressed with Staton. We ran some shotgun misdirection (aided greatly by MacPherson's ball fakes) with Barclay and Staton in the backfield that worked well.

If memory serves, he tried to make it at App State but washed out there as well.

I remember going to the App game in Grobe's first year and being really impressed with Staton. We ran some shotgun misdirection (aided greatly by MacPherson's ball fakes) with Barclay and Staton in the backfield that worked well.

If memory serves, he tried to make it at App State but washed out there as well.

I think it was Terence Williams in the backfield with Staton. Barclay came on the next year.

Saw a little story about practice on the News 14 last night, from the little bit I saw, Grobe definitely looked more involved in practice. There was a clip of what looked like him running a drill with the linebackers I think. Don't know if it will make a difference in our success or not, but it at least seems to me that Grobe is feeling a sense of urgency and knows he needs to start getting his hands dirty again, instead of just being the figure head and standing there with his arms folded.

Didn't we have a Fred Staton that played during the Caldwell era and played in NFL for a number of years for the Vikings and Giants, was a defensive tackle?

With Harris out and Martin in the dog house, who is running the ball?

I think it was Terence Williams in the backfield with Staton. Barclay came on the next year.

Yep. Don't know why we haven't gone back to those split back sets that were so effective.

From the article:

"I thought it was novel when one of the conferences came out and said they were only going to tackle to the ground two days a week. And we do it three scrimmages, and that's it. That's the only time we actually go live.''

What conference? Seems like Grobe would see that as a good suggestion rather than something novel.

Back