• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football practice report

Doesn't work hard enough. Somebody explained it in a thread last week. Disappointing.

Doesn't work hard enough. Somebody explained it in a thread last week. Disappointing.

What the crap is wrong with some kids???? I mean you got Josh who drops the ball in the classroom coming into his senior year, where he has one last chance to live up to the talent he has and now Martin who has the chance to start at Tailback in the ACC as Soph and he's not putting in the effort?????

Martin will be running the ball as much as he can handle. Just the normal preseason Grobe talk where he is trying to piss the players off to make them play harder.

Perhaps they play like they are coached- we need to get coached harder- words are cheap. We need snot bubbles and burning hair and some testiness- not just talk about it- hard to get play that way when you regularly punt from the other teams 38 yard line and you play to keep things close while your head coach eats plastic grass 50 yards away from the line of scrimmage. It is not what you say it is what you do. Man up and lets play football.

Perhaps they play like they are coached- we need to get coached harder- words are cheap. We need snot bubbles and burning hair and some testiness- not just talk about it- hard to get play that way when you regularly punt from the other teams 38 yard line and you play to keep things close while your head coach eats plastic grass 50 yards away from the line of scrimmage. It is not what you say it is what you do. Man up and lets play football.

Pos rep

That is a fair point, I think someone posted who had attended practice that the coaches seem to be a little more intense so far and the Grobe is involved more. As I posted earlier, for what it's worth, that's the impression I got from the what I saw on News 14 last night.

I think we are going to be fine at RB. It does sound like we have a good mix of physicality and speed.

I think Helms is going to be an absolute beast for us. I'm very excited about him.

I'm not worried about RB at all. I just want to know who is going to get the bulk of the carries.

The only thing I'm really worried about this year is the offensive line (big problem to have) and the depth of the wide receivers. I think the defense is going to be pretty stout. Secondary should be good in theory, but we've been burned in that area as well in the past.

Is there another head coach in America who would say something like, "he's got the really good foot speed?"

If a kid were a great running back on the college level, it is hard to believe that the high school coach wouldn't have given him the ball more.

A few observations from practice:

Tyler Cameron looked really good throwing and running the football.

Chad Hedlund looks to have gained some leg and was booming kicks into the endzone on kickoffs.

Dez Wortham went down with what appeared to be a right leg injury (I'm guessing his knee), and didn't practice after it. Didn't look really bad, but didn't look good either.

KJ looked pretty good in the secondary and had a couple of really nice plays that were almost INT's.

The offense overall seemed to be progressing quicker than last year and there were some nice holes up front, especially in the running game.

Ragland has what appears to be a hamstring injury and didn't practice.

Chase was getting checked out before practice and to the best of my knowledge went through limited drills.

Ford and Chase both stopped practicing a little early and Ford was noticeably limping. Hopefully they can recover over the next three weeks.

I think that's about it but if I recall anything else I'll post it.

Thanks 27, When do they put on the pads? How do the WRs look?

Thanks 27, When do they put on the pads? How do the WRs look?

Had pads on tonight.

Wideouts look alright. Camp obviously looks good. Tyree Harris has shown some flashes as well.

Nobody really stuck out from me at the WR and most of the time in the O vs D was spent running the football.

Thanks for the reports 27. It will be fun to see how long it takes for the annual, "It seems like we always have more hamstring injuries than any other program. Makes you wonder about the training staff" posts to begin in earnest.

Last edited:
I don't see Martin getting 25-30 carries per game like he and Grobe are talking about. Especially when backs like Barclay and T. Williams never averaged that. When you get stoned on 1st down, like we always do, you necessarily have to throw it on 2nd and 3rd and long. Just because Grobe is talking about a big running game this year doesn't mean it will materialize. Remember that Miami game in, what, 2009? All Grobe did was run the ball, but Miami adjusted and completely shut it down. We throw the ball because we have to.

Back