• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FOOTBALL SPRING PRACTICE Megathread

Dan's blog about the Oline: No Getting Away From Offensive Line

Grobe has to know that this year really is riding on the Oline. I doubt things are as bleak as the blog suggests. More likely, Grobe is doing that coach thing to light a fire under a few of these guys who probably thought they'd get the start just by dressing.

Dirk -

Grobe has to know that this year really is riding on the Oline. I doubt things are as bleak as the blog suggests. More likely, Grobe is doing that coach thing to light a fire under a few of these guys who probably thought they'd get the start just by dressing.

'Bleak' is too strong right now. 'Hopeful' may be more appropriate.

We had a senior dominated OL last year and it collectively took the 4 of them until their last season to become 'average'....or in Looney's case, somewhat above average. C Williams was once a Grobe favorite but he proved injury prone last season. He's the lone returnee. Rs-so OG Summers is massive but lumbering and got a few cups of coffee last season. Rs-so's Ford and Blitch were on the 2-deep last season but rarely saw game action. The rest are all untested, unknown 'suspects' and doubt anyone is using terms like 'can't miss' or 'All-ACC' with any of them.

In sum, we have 'a bunch of guys' until further notice.

Dirk -

'Bleak' is too strong right now. 'Hopeful' may be more appropriate.

We had a senior dominated OL last year and it collectively took the 4 of them until their last season to become 'average'....or in Looney's case, somewhat above average. C Williams was once a Grobe favorite but he proved injury prone last season. He's the lone returnee. Rs-so OG Summers is massive but lumbering and got a few cups of coffee last season. Rs-so's Ford and Blitch were on the 2-deep last season but rarely saw game action. The rest are all untested, unknown 'suspects' and doubt anyone is using terms like 'can't miss' or 'All-ACC' with any of them.

In sum, we have 'a bunch of guys' until further notice.

That's comforting. What is surprising is that many of these guys were pretty highly touted recruits. I am very surprised by the lack of ink for Godwin. He was supposed to be a road grader at Gilman. Hopefully, he (and the rest of the young guys) will come around...and soon.

I REALLY like the Himebauch hire though. I think our Oline play will get better with more focused coaching. I love that he teaches the guys martial art techniques as well. We are going to have five 6'4" 300 lb. NINJAS out there on Saturdays. Who can stop that?

That's comforting. What is surprising is that many of these guys were pretty highly touted recruits. I am very surprised by the lack of ink for Godwin. He was supposed to be a road grader at Gilman. Hopefully, he (and the rest of the young guys) will come around...and soon.

I REALLY like the Himebauch hire though. I think our Oline play will get better with more focused coaching. I love that he teaches the guys martial art techniques as well. We are going to have five 6'4" 300 lb. NINJAS out there on Saturdays. Who can stop that?

You mirror my thoughts. I was under the impression that their lack of experience was more than made up for with raw talent. But if Himebauch can't whip these guys into shape then they are a lost cause.

Nice.

220px-Kungfupanda.jpg

"Pretty highly touted" for Wake. That doesn't necessarily mean raw talents who can dominate right away.

Yea, I've learned that our OL recruiting rankings hardly matter. None of our guys are ever "sure things," else they'd be higher ranked coming out of high school.

Lately, it seems like our 2* unknowns (Heartsill, Williams, Summers) have come in to be just as talented/producted as our 3* kids with lots of offers (Preble, Goodwin, Ford).

Even our "sure things" like DeGeare and Looney take a lot of time to get decent, or at least did under Lobo. If this OL is anything but a liability, the new guy gets a ton of credit.

Looney did start from day one, so that was nice.

Our big OL recruits since Looney, as I see them, are Goodwin, Preble, and Ford. None of them have quite lived up to Looney production.

What I want to know is why is Patrick Thompson our back up QB? There should be at least 3 guys not named Tanner Price ahead of him. Sousa how is he looking, The new kid that cam in January, and Cross should all be ahead of Thompson.

What I want to know is why is Patrick Thompson our back up QB? There should be at least 3 guys not named Tanner Price ahead of him. Sousa how is he looking, The new kid that cam in January, and Cross should all be ahead of Thompson.

Maybe he earned it?

Last Summer he was the worse of Price, Stach, Cross, and him. Sousa did not practice.

Last Summer he was the worse of Price, Stach, Cross, and him. Sousa did not practice.

Stach is gone, Cameron is injured. Cross has shown no indication (at least at this point) that he can handle QB duties. That leaves Sousa. We haven't heard too much about him other than upside. Thompson had been in the program for a long time, like I said maybe he earned it. It could also be a shot across the bow from Grobe that the back up QB job is up for grabs and won't just be bestowed upon the heir apparent.

Really surprised Thompson hasn't moved to another position. I thought he would make a great tight end or outside linebacker. He's a good athlete like his brother Zach.

Really surprised Thompson hasn't moved to another position. I thought he would make a great tight end or outside linebacker. He's a good athlete like his brother Zach.

I think Thompson probably has a lot of QB smarts. He played for his father so he's been 'learning football' for a long time. A big part of being a successful qb is the mental aspect. I'm guessing some of our other guys may have more raw physical talent, but it's taking a while to learn how to be a college qb.

Let's be real. When the more heralded players are jumped on the depth chart by the less heralded one, it's rarely because he earned it. This likely means the more heralded ones are injured or not productive.

I think Ph is generally right. It's not like Kevin Sousa was ever expected to produce quickly, though. The kid has only played the QB position for a couple years. Everyone who had seen him play in high school said he was a low polish, high potential guy. As fans, I think we're expecting too much of him right now.

Brendan Cross has just never been good enough. It is what it is. I'm impressed he's stuck around so long running scout team, so hats off to him for that.

Cameron has his arm in a sling.

Back