• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Book-Spoiler Thread

remember that in the books martin uses many different ways of showing different battles.

catelyn heard the whispering wood battle. very little onscreen. tyrion's battle was seen but it really only followed his small portion of it. easy enough to do well i would think. the siege of river run was told at some point by a courier delivering the news.

Mrstsy picked up the 4 book paperback set yesterday at Costco for $20. After this first season is complete, I'm going to start the series and hopefully have them all read by the time season 2 starts next year.

dont forget that book 5 (essentially the 2nd half of book 4) comes out this summer.

but, don't hold your breath waiting for the next one after that...

If reports can be believed he wrote 5 & 6 as one book that turned out to be too large, so he split them up. 6 should just need usual editing etc and hopefully he won't leave us waiting 6 years again.

If reports can be believed he wrote 5 & 6 as one book that turned out to be too large, so he split them up. 6 should just need usual editing etc and hopefully he won't leave us waiting 6 years again.

I thought that was book 4 and 5? He wrote them as one book, realized they were going to be too large, originally planned on just ending it halfway, THEN decided to tell the full story for about half of the characters. Much of Book 5 will deal primarily with the characters we didn't get to see much of in Book 4.

I've heard that book 6 is also essentially written and will probably come out after Season 2 of GoT on HBO...

I've heard that book 6 is also essentially written and will probably come out after Season 2 of GoT on HBO...

I hope so. I also hope he has told an apprentice or someone his plans for the final book. He is old and fat and I don't want him dying on me before the story is complete.

I thought that was book 4 and 5? He wrote them as one book, realized they were going to be too large, originally planned on just ending it halfway, THEN decided to tell the full story for about half of the characters. Much of Book 5 will deal primarily with the characters we didn't get to see much of in Book 4.

This is correct. Book 5 will cover the perspectives from the North and Eastern continent that were absent from book 4.

I hope so. I also hope he has told an apprentice or someone his plans for the final book. He is old and fat and I don't want him dying on me before the story is complete.

Yeah, Martin better have already set out some detailed notes or a chart on how he expects to finish the series; he's sorely tempting fate if he hasn't. That said, the very fact that he jumped on board the HBO series when he's always been so finicky and protective of his work makes me hope that he solidly expects to have 6 and 7 done within the next handful of years; operating under the assumption the series keeps on going, I wouldn't think he'd want it catch up and then either have HBO improvise a completely different finishing story or him tell them how it ends while stealing the thunder from the yet to be released books.

maverick is mostly correct.

martin has said he has told the hbo creators some of where the story is going. he has also not really ever said if he has told anyone else or left notes etc.

as for book 6 he has a number of chapters complete. however, it is not likely anywhere near 25% or something. it is more like 5-10 chapters. (if i recall correctly). and as we know from the book 5 wait things can change dramatically with his writing style. he has committed to finishing the story in 7 books.

for hbo if they end up doing all 7 books there is a belief (and some evidence) that each season would be a determined number of episodes based on how long the book is and how much they need.

for instance

book 1 = season 1 - 10 episodes as a bare minimum they needed.
book 2 = season 2 and is a longer book and might end up with 12-13.
book 3 = significantly longer than either of the first two books. rumor says this might make up seasons 3 and 4. maybe even some overlap with book two or something depending on how it works out. maybe each of these seasons is another 10-13

book 4 = closer in size/scope to book 1 and could be 10-12 depending on what hbo wants.
book 5 = similar in size to book 3

as many have mentioned books 4 and 5 cover about the same time frame and star different characters. e.g. your favorite may not have had any stage time in book for but might be in book 5 a lot or vice versa. because of that (and book 5 is out in July -finished proofing/editing etc already) i think that it would be very likely they split books 4 and 5 into 2-3 seasons (potentially seasons 5-7).

that adds up to about 7 season (of varying episode length). in theory that gives martin 6-8 years to finish book 6 (and hopefully 7). that is a huge commitment on the part of hbo and the casual viewer. hope dvd sales are through the roof.

Hard to say; the HBO series has started relatively strong, retained its viewers, is being lavished with critical acclaim and positive word of mouth, seems exactly like the kind of series that could see a boom following DVD release exposing it to a larger audience, and has an established base of book readers to draw from that it itself is simultaneously feeding back into. General consensus is that books 2 and 3 are even better than book 1, so not unreasonable to think the buzz will only keep growing if they maintain this level of quality. 6 or 7 seasons is an incredibly difficult feat for any TV series to pull off, much less one that involves such a large cast and that we know will (or should, at least) require increasing special effects costs, but given it's HBO and with the start so far, I'd say the odds aren't horrific that it can pull it off.

That said, while I agree with deaconson that they won't be able to do a straight 1 to 1 conversion with books 4 and 5, and will likely need to adjust season length as soon as next year just to handle book 2, I don't know that breaking books into multiple seasons is feasible. The casting contracts are going to be difficult enough to deal with as is assuming success that subsequently raises everyone's profile. Also, there's simple problem of dealing with the actors aging; show's already seen one actress die and was just lucky it was for a minor character done after book 1 anyway, and even moreso, the kid actors, which they already casted several years older than the book, aren't going to stop growing. I think they'll just have to merge the perspectives of books 4 and 5 while maintaining them as 2 different seasons, and start going with season lengths of about 12, give or take, episodes.

they will split storm in to two seasons (if they make it) and feast for crows and dance with dragons (books 4 and 5) will be combined to make 2-3 seasons. i suspect they will do what lord of the rings and other movies have done recently. film each book at one time and split the release in over multiple seasons. that would cut cost, minimize contracting/availability issues with actors, keep kids aging in line with what might normally be seen (a la harry potter movies).

there is just no way they could make book 3 in to one season. it would need to be 20 episodes minimum. hbo does not do that. they would get more bang for the buck filming like i mentioned above. it would also give martin maximum possible time to finish the series.

having said that, i have series doubts that this will make it the 7-10 seasons it would take to finish the entire story (with similar "fat" cutting that occurred for season one.)

Book 3 is large, no question, but it seems hyperbole that they would have to do 20 episodes or two whole seasons to accommodate it. A Game of Thrones is ~800 pages and being done in 10 episodes, so roughly 80 pages per episode. A Storm of Swords is ~1100 pages, so the same rate of conversion would require a reasonable 13-14 episodes. Looked at another way, AGOT is 73 chapters, ASOS is 82; that rate puts a book 3 season at only just over 11 episodes. Simplistic way to look at it that ignores some pacing differences, but I just can't see the difference in those books' coverage as mandating such dramatically different season encapsulations. Books 4 and 5 are much greater question marks in my mind assuming the series gets that far, since they will mandate far more rewrites and creative license to translate to the screen.

fair enough. i am partly basing my viewpoint on reading somewhere that the producers have already been in talks with hbo (don't recall if a decision was made yet) that they needed more episodes for season two. i think the comment may even have been from, or attributed to, martin who said that there was already preliminary speculation that they might split book three. maybe not.

my personal opinion is that season one has cut out as much "fat" as it could. now that the action is really picking up pace it rarely slows in later books so there would be much more difficult choices to make if they don't split the book. heck maybe they even make books 2 and 3 in to 3 seasons or something in order to accommodate necessary action while eliminating some filler/back ground "flavor."

Do you think that the adaptability of the books to screen is going to help or hurt him in the future novels? Its rare that an author is still creating a work such as this, while somebody else is adapting it. The only other author that really had to deal with this was JK Rowling--and I have to say that it pushed the HP books creatively and pace-wise.

Maybe, though Martin doesn't always strike me as a person influenced by much outside of his own interests. Fans have been clamoring for the last two books and they still took about 11 years combined to release.

It could be different now that it's more mainstream, but I really don't think it will impact him.

The only way I think it will affect his writing is he'll be forced to get book 6 out before season 6 is due to air.

Yeah, maybe there's a little more of a fire lit under him, especially since he's now recognized and conceded the risk he's taking of getting Robert Jordaned. But, I doubt he'll allow the HBO series to affect how he writes the last books; he's basically told anyone who's pressured him on the books til now to fuck off, don't see him compromising his vision now.

I do agree that season one has been trimmed about as much as is possible without damaging the storyline, though at the same time they've added in a not insignificant chunk of new material (Jaime/Ned and Varys/Littlefinger in the throne room, Cersei/Cat at Bran's bed, Littlefinger with the whores, etc.). Haven't really followed a lot of Martin's recent comments, and given his nature, I could definitely see him speculating breaking future books up. But, per what they've done so far and the numerous logistical and practical issues extending the series additional seasons would cause to an already difficult endeavor, just don't see that it's necessary or wise compared to tacking on a few more episodes per season.

Actually, the ideal way to handle this series would probably only be possible if all 7 books were finished. Condense the first three books and a few elements of 4-5 into 3 seasons (some 1-2 and 2-3 overlap would likely be necessary, plus extending to 12-15 episodes per season), then timeskip to book 6 with flashbacks as needed. For all the information that comes out of book 4, it meanders a lot and does far more character development/exploration than actual plot progression, which I'm not sure will translate to live action as well. Assuming book 5 is similar, I think it would be much easier just to use a timeskip, bypass a very difficult media translation, and have the appropriate story elements grown up enough to start progressing from the start of season 4.

Just want to add in, it was definitely 4-5 that was supposed to be one book, but ended up splitting in to two. Open A Feast for Crows (book 4) and at the end, Martin writes a note about it. He mentions deciding not to split the story in half, rather telling all the story for half the characters in one book, and doing the same for the rest later. He wrote that the second half (A Dance with Dragons, book 5) would be coming out in a year or so, god willing. That was 5 and a half years ago... So yeah.

I hate to jump on the train of people hoping he doesn't die before he finishes, but now that I'm hooked I feel that point of view. I'm also kinda glad I didn't get into it before now. Storm of Swords (3) came out in August 2000. Here we are, almost 11 years later, and the only thing that's come in between is the most disappointing book in the series, A Feast for Crows. That's rough. I'm reading it now and I like it, but it's hard to swallow that much time and not get the characters you grew to love in the first three books. 11 freaking years. I've been following his blog and he seems to think the rest should flow more quickly since the story has hit its widest point. That seems well and good, and I hope he's right, but he's said similar things before about how close he is to releasing the next volume.

It's also worth noting that with the HBO show, comes some extra responsibilities for writing related to the series. He's handling a few of the scripts for an episode here or there as well. The last episode that aired (I think) was written by GRRM.

Last edited:
Back