• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Book-Spoiler Thread

part of the anger towards jon is that he is a constant reminder of ned's infidelity. out of sight, out of mind in this world.

Yes, Jon.

That's sort of what I figured, but it just seems so different from her typical character. Another example of the characters' depth in the show/book.

Simple yes or no from the book readers - do we ever learn the identity of Jon's mom?

Yes, Jon.

That's sort of what I figured, but it just seems so different from her typical character. Another example of the characters' depth in the show/book.

she is portrayed different in the show and in the book. her attitude towards jon (show and book) is more in line with her portrayal in the book. they soften her up a little for tv.

Simple yes or no from the book readers - do we ever learn the identity of Jon's mom?

Short answer: not yet

While obviously nothing is certain right now, Martin seems to be setting the pieces in place for a major twist with his mother being Lyanna Stark, and the father not actually being Ned but Rhaegar Targaryen. We know Rhaegar and Lyanna disappeared together (the historical assumption is Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, but this hasn't actually been verified and is completely against the character of Rhaegar that has otherwise been established), Lyanna's last words before dying of unknown causes were to Ned demanding a promise of him, and that 3 of the Kingsguard were at Lyanna's side when Ned found her in Dorne when Rhaegar was at the Trident (and the Kingsguard, much less 3 of them at once, serve ONLY to protect those of royal blood). Jon obviously is rising to great prominence within Westeros and being set-up to rally the defense against the Others (the likely 'final villain', much as there can be one in this setting), and Rhaegar prophesized his son would be "The Prince Who Was Promised" (if it's not Jon, there really isn't a 'fitting' end game ruler for Westeros, since Dany is supposed to be barren now and thus would leave no heir even if she makes it through all the way to the end, not that Martin is by any means certain to leave us a clean ending). There's also the fact that circumstantial evidence leaves Lyanna as the likeliest candidate for the identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree from Jojen's story to Bran, where she then could have actually met Rhaegar in person when Aerys sent him to pursue the unknown knight.

All this, coupled with the fact that Ned was pretty much honor defined when it comes to stuff like commiting adultery and siring a bastard just after marrying, gives plenty of reason to think Lyanna and Rhaegar actually fled together, conceived Jon, and Ned came upon her and the baby Jon as she was dying from childbirth; knowing Robert would never allow a Targaryen to live, much less one born from the woman he was in love with, Ned claimed him as his bastard to protect him.

Don't read maverick's above speculative hidden post unless you want a major potential spoiler.

Short answer: not yet

While obviously nothing is certain right now, Martin seems to be setting the pieces in place for a major twist with his mother being Lyanna Stark, and the father not actually being Ned but Rhaegar Targaryen. We know Rhaegar and Lyanna disappeared together (the historical assumption is Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, but this hasn't actually been verified and is completely against the character of Rhaegar that has otherwise been established), Lyanna's last words before dying of unknown causes were to Ned demanding a promise of him, and that 3 of the Kingsguard were at Lyanna's side when Ned found her in Dorne when Rhaegar was at the Trident (and the Kingsguard, much less 3 of them at once, serve ONLY to protect those of royal blood). Jon obviously is rising to great prominence within Westeros and being set-up to rally the defense against the Others (the likely 'final villain', much as there can be one in this setting), and Rhaegar prophesized his son would be "The Prince Who Was Promised" (if it's not Jon, there really isn't a 'fitting' end game ruler for Westeros, since Dany is supposed to be barren now and thus would leave no heir even if she makes it through all the way to the end, not that Martin is by any means certain to leave us a clean ending). There's also the fact that circumstantial evidence leaves Lyanna as the likeliest candidate for the identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree from Jojen's story to Bran, where she then could have actually met Rhaegar in person when Aerys sent him to pursue the unknown knight.

All this, coupled with the fact that Ned was pretty much honor defined when it comes to stuff like commiting adultery and siring a bastard just after marrying, gives plenty of reason to think Lyanna and Rhaegar actually fled together, conceived Jon, and Ned came upon her and the baby Jon as she was dying from childbirth; knowing Robert would never allow a Targaryen to live, much less one born from the woman he was in love with, Ned claimed him as his bastard to protect him.

This is the reason the spoiler tab was added. Such a great spoiler. I'm intrigued to see if it actually comes to fruition.

This is the reason the spoiler tab was added. Such a great spoiler. I'm intrigued to see if it actually comes to fruition.

Yep. I guess it is more of a 'theory' than a spoiler, but one that many fans certainly adhere to.

Keep reading Knight. Keep reading.

yeah, this isn't really that much of a spoiler, but some major major ish goes down in book 3

Yeah I'm on book 3 right now as well. holy shit.

I renamed this thread.

We can make a separate TV show thread for folks that don't want to read the books, so we can talk more indepth about the books and give out spoilers.

Who do you cast as Mance Rayder?

I think they should go for a big splash and get someone really cool and well known.

Really? Neg repped "not even close to being that good" for talking up Game of Thrones on a thread dedicated to Game of Thrones?

Of course it was unsigned. Good stuff.

Who do you cast as Mance Rayder?

I think they should go for a big splash and get someone really cool and well known.

Not a bad thought; he's one of the more fun characters in the books that a bigger name could bring to life, but wouldn't need to appear for every episode. Hmm, recognizable eccentric but versatile English dude with some musical chops.... how bout Tim Curry?

Otherwise, I'm mostly interested in the girls for book 2, especially Melisandre and Brienne. Mel strikes me as one of the toughest to pull off roles, plus whoever gets her will be doing one or two very... revealing... scenes, and conversely curious how much of a middle-ground they'll seek for presenting Brienne to an audience and capturing her less than flattering book description. Other than Mance, seems like the best 'new' dudes are ones that should have appeared in season 1 (technically Mance too, though if they did his cameo they hid it better than I could notice), Roose Bolton and the Blackfish. Davos and Stannis are big roles, but they're just too bland to get too fired up over.

Halfway through the third book....something happened that just BLEW MY MIND. I HATE THIS BOOK SOMETIMES, granted I don't know where it goes.

Back